The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Your comparison is wrong. Ironically doctors don't even deserve their current sky-high salaries, which are a result of government regulations.

Purpose:

Blink: to entertain

Doctor: To save lives

A single doctor is definitely a lot less significant to the well-being of society than blink is.

Time commitment

Blink: Whatever they choose

Doctor: 60 hours a week and on call all the time.

It certainly seems that this is not true as at least Tom & Travis work all the time.

Risk

Blink: Little Risk

Doctor: Lawsuits a constant threat.

Entertainers' incomes are probably a lot more volatile than those of doctors.

Reward:

Blink: Millions of dollars.

Doctor: varies $200K average

The problem is that you're cherry picking your data. There are doctors who make millions just as there are bands who make nothing. It's probably safe to say that on average doctors make a lot more money than musicians.

You're totally right, very few if any doctors are "poor" but from that article tom tweeted: "Of the 75,000 albums released in 2010 only 2,000 sold more than 5k copies. Only 1,000 sold more than 10k copies." and "10,000 albums is about the point where independent artists begin to go into the black on pro album production, marketing and promotion."

I'm baffled someone can say blink's rise to fame was easy.  Most bands these days that make it big do so after their first release.  Blink didn't start to get big until Dammit, which means they had five years of being a nobody band until they were noticed in an era where if you wanted your band heard, you couldn't simply go online and spread your music.  I imagine in those early days there were plenty of times they second guessed themselves, where they didn't know where the food or gas money would come from.  To do so for five years without a hit to signify the band would actually go somewhere seems incredibly risky and stressful, and more than that it certainly doesn't seem like it was easy.  I bet it would have been much easier for them to have started out in this era where every band's first recording is of decent quality (way better than flyswatter's quality anyway) and the internet makes you accessible all around the world.

Time to major success:

Blink: 7 years

A doctor: 8 years of hard schooling

You're counting from when Blink started as a band, in 1992, and when a doctor starts college. That doesn't make sense. If you're going to start counting from when a future doctor starts college, then you need to start from when Mark, Tom, and Travis started playing their instrument until 1999 when they started having success. So really it's

Blink: Maybe 13 years on average? I don't know when they started playing their instruments.

Doctor: 8 years.

Your comparison is wrong. Ironically doctors don't even deserve their current sky-high salaries, which are a result of government regulations.

Purpose:

Blink: to entertain

Doctor: To save lives

A single doctor is definitely a lot less significant to the well-being of society than blink is.

Time commitment

Blink: Whatever they choose

Doctor: 60 hours a week and on call all the time.

It certainly seems that this is not true as at least Tom & Travis work all the time.

Risk

Blink: Little Risk

Doctor: Lawsuits a constant threat.

Reward:

Blink: Millions of dollars.

Doctor: varies $200K average

The problem is that you're cherry picking your data. There are doctors who make millions just as there are bands who make nothing. It's probably safe to say that on average doctors make a lot more money than musicians.

Oliver=owned

i kinda wish blink didnt make 4 music videos so quickly for their album. i feel like theirs no chance of another single or anything like that and its been a while since after midnight dropped. would be nice to see it pick up a little bit of steam with an even if she falls or ghost on the dance floor video

Wait... How was pursuing a career with blink less risky than becoming a doctor.  You know that if you discipline yourself and put your mind to it for 8 solid years, you can become a doctor and be assured a very nice paying job, its pretty much a guarantee.  A rock band has no guarantee.  You are far less likely no matter how passionate you are to become a large money making band within 8 years or ever for that matter.  If your dream us to be a doctor you know you can do that, if its to be a rock star its far less likely you'd see that dream come true.

You are actually the biggest idiot on the internet. How is pirating music not stealing? You've obtained something for free that you're supposed to pay for. Don't get me wrong, I do it all the time, but I'm not diluted enough to think what I'm doing is perfectly just, I'm just a broke university student who can't afford every cd he wants to try out.

While artists traditionally never received a *huge* return on each album sold, when you multiply those few cents a couple million times, it's a big thing.

If this was the other way around, and you were the artist putting the album out and you saw the figures. If you were aware that your album has been downloaded so many times you lost out on a million dollar kickback, for example. You put all this work and effort into something - it's what you make your career from and put food on your kid's plate - and you lost out on that. You'd be running around saying consumers are greedy rather than bands.

Sure, that impact isn't "as big" for a band the size of Blink, but imagine these new artists trying to break through. What if they were in that situation, and they never even cleared that with physical album sales? That would make you feel pretty shitty about your work.

While pirating is a big part of today's culture we don't really stop and second guess most of the time, it doesn't make it moral or right. It just proves we're all greedy cunts.

I am the biggest idiot? You are the one with the copyrighted material in your signature harping on and on about how copyright infringement is stealing.

That is pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

Nope, if I made millions of dollars I wouldn't give a shit if people downloaded my music. The album woulld be a means to an end. I wouldn't look at the physical sale of the album giving me success. It would be everything else.

Also, If i was in their position I'd thank god I was a success and wouldn't whine about stupid shit. Only arrogant greedy people would do that......

Oooops.....

You're a moron. You've completely overlooked what I've said and come back with the classic response you always give when someone proves you're wrong - bullshit.

You're a fucking joke Oliver. Get outdoors for a change and stop being so miserable at world.

/done. 

You have to be kidding me? What a silly statement to make.

This is stupid logic. First off, they obviously don't work as much as doctors. Second they have a CHOICE about how much they want to work. This was obvious when they simply decided they didn't want to do Blink for 5 years.

No it isn't. As long as you spend it well, you could be set for life within a year after making it big. Volatility is then removed.

No I am not. I am comparing Blink 182 to the average doctor. I have clearly illustrated which profession requires more work. It is obvious to anyone who isn't a blink 182 fanboy.

Oliver=owned

Ghent=fanboy with no argument. So he needs to latch onto someone else's fallacious argument to prove his fanboy views correct.

last week I saw Blink

they were pretty good

played fuck a dog lol

also, mark said "you guys are excited for The Cure later this night?" then tom started the guitar intro of "All of This" and I saw them looking at each other thinking "would anyone notice this song?"

quite sure only 500 people out of all 85000 knows the song lol

great seeing blink, but The Cure, oh man, I was completely blown away by them