The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

I think Tom just does it to appease the AVA fans out there that think/know AVA is no where on the same level as blink and are butt hurt about how well blink has been doing. I mean, it's almost as if he's saying "Don't worry guys, we're still here!" just to shut them up. Nothing says that more like an old picture and an ambiguous general message. 

• Like 1

I think Tom just does it to appease the AVA fans out there that think/know AVA is no where on the same level as blink and are butt hurt about how well blink has been doing. I mean, it's almost as if he's saying "Don't worry guys, we're still here!" just to shut them up. Nothing says that more like an old picture and an ambiguous general message. 

Not that im defending AvA at all, but couldn't the exact same be said for his hype before the blink ep. He instagramed old photos and said generic shit like "big stuff coming". You cant say half of the angst towards AvA from blink fans isn't down to some form of butthurt.

Not that im defending AvA at all, but couldn't the exact same be said for his hype before the blink ep. He instagramed old photos and said generic shit like "big stuff coming". You cant say half of the angst towards AvA from blink fans isn't down to some form of butthurt.

That's a fair point, but I find that Tom tends to post a lot of random AVA stuff right after anything blink comes out that has nothing to do with anything (i.e. after the blink EP dropped he would post a random AVA picture or he would update his status with something like "L)VE" that didn't really reference anything other than AVA's existence). In a way, he may just be marketing AVA alongside blink, but my hunch is that it's primarily spurred from all the rantings and worries of the small group of dedicated AVA followers/tom-bot nut jobs that Tom's created through AVA whenever blink comes up. If I was a purist AVA fan, I'd be very worried about the successes of blink as well as the evidently larger fanbase, so if I were Tom, the only way to calm these followers that he's created would be to quickly show that AVA is still one of his priorities (whether that's a facade or reality is debatable, and in my opinion, it's slowly becoming the former rather than the latter). 

what's the point of 2 bands if its almost the same sound?

True story, and good argument for anyone who says the AvA sound is what Tom's music is at the moment. I think it'd be so much better, for all involved, if he made an effort to make Blink something different from AvA. And I also think I'd love Blink's current sound even better if Mark had more confidence and was more easy-going about his song-writing.

I don't see why people are mad at Tom posting about AVA now. Blink just released an EP, Mark is home in London for the holidays, what is Tom just gonna ignore his other band for 8 weeks while waiting for a blink tour? I thought you didn't want him to work on blink unless they're all in the same room

I was just thinking, it will be funny when they tour Australia. Tom came here with AVA this year and they only half sold out a ~2000 capacity venue, now he'll be playing to a sold out 21,000 capacity arena with blink. That must make him feel pretty bad about AVA lol

Eh I really don't mind it that much, let him post about AVA if he wants to...

For Blinks next record I hope Marks stuff will sound a lot less like +44. I know, that's the direction he was heading anyway if Blink didn't break up blablabla...but that album came out 7 years ago!! Isn't it time to move on and get more creative with your sound? Same for Tom, I get that that's his style but the similarities between the songs are too easy to spot. I mean the new EP is great but DED=Lycanthrope and Disaster=Hallucinations.

(and FFS someone in the recording room should just say, No Tom those synths sound like shit, GTFO. They should put it on a sticker or something lol)

I don't really like Mark's darker style or whatever, would definitely prefer him to just write happy poppy stuff. His songs on Take Off Your Pants and Jacket are fucking amazing.

I love synths but Tom seems to just add them for fun sometimes. The one in the prechorus of Pretty Little Girl seemed unnecessary to me

• Like 1