The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Blink IMO should play older songs, not necessarily the hits though, because those songs are better. It makes sense to me. When I went to see green day, as good of a show as It was, they played too many new songs for my liking- although they did play many older songs too.

To drop the biggest hits seems stupid, they should drop songs like down and always imo and maybe even Josie(changed for another Dude ranch/Uranus era song obviously) I don't think those songs are huge enough hits to be needed in the set and seems to only be there for huge fans, of which would most likely want other songs like Herer's your letter, Neighborhood tracks or Apple Shampoo etc.

do you not feel that theres at least 1 track from neighborhoods that could've been a fairly big hit for them if it was all promoted properly?

Definitely. I personally think Even If She Falls but could have been a handful that could have gone big- Natives, This Is Home, Wishing Well to name a few.

If they were all 10 years younger then proper promotion could probably have turned one of those songs into a semi-hit. Most likely This is Home...but it seems like they are just too old now for mainstream success. I'm sure their label would have promoted them if they felt like there was any potential.

Just look at bands like Aerosmith. Despite being the best selling American rock band ever, their latest single which was hand crafted for radio play got minimal attention.

Pop radio wants 20-35 year olds. It seems pretty tough to break into it after that.

• Like 1

If they were all 10 years younger then proper promotion could probably have turned one of those songs into a semi-hit. Most likely This is Home...but it seems like they are just too old now for mainstream success. I'm sure their label would have promoted them if they felt like there was any potential.

Just look at bands like Aerosmith. Despite being the best selling American rock band ever, their latest single which was hand crafted for radio play got minimal attention.

Pop radio wants 20-35 year olds. It seems pretty tough to break into it after that.

foo fighters just keep getting bigger and bigger every album

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="t o m" data-cid="1043091" data-time="1361789866"><p>

foo fighters just keep getting bigger and bigger every album</p></blockquote>

Bands can obviously still do it, it's just much harder. Green day had hits with AI- and that's about it.

there's no easy transition from being a "joke band" to being rock icons. if blink tried this, they did it well: they released self-titled and let it be their last album for a relatively long time, then they came back from hiatus, made another serious album, and no one thinks they are/will be kids band anymore. if they write a great album next time, they will have the attention of the desired target audience, so they can be a bigger band than ever.

Wasn't he like the ultimate sellout in the 60's`? When I saw him he played bunch of new stuff, too much even maybe.

do your research.  In the 60's everyone wanted him to play his earlier, acoustic folk songs.  Robert wanted to go a different route.  As he was scheduled to play the biggest folk festival in the world (newport) he closed his set with loud, distorted, electric rock and roll.  The birth of american rock and roll that night.

To call Zimmerman the ultimate sellout is non-sensical. 

do your research.  In the 60's everyone wanted him to play his earlier, acoustic folk songs.  Robert wanted to go a different route.  As he was scheduled to play the biggest folk festival in the world (newport) he closed his set with loud, distorted, electric rock and roll.  The birth of american rock and roll that night.

To call Zimmerman the ultimate sellout is non-sensical. 

I don't care much about sellouts, I don't care if someone sells out as long as it's good.

I prefer the earlier Dylan stuff, but I think Blonde on blonde is a great album. I'm just saying that he sold out the scene and played electric to sell it to a larger audience, that's what sellouts do, they sell out their old fans and try to get new ones. Kind of like Blink did with enema just more extreme.

I don't care much about sellouts, I don't care if someone sells out as long as it's good.

I prefer the earlier Dylan stuff, but I think Blonde on blonde is a great album. I'm just saying that he sold out the scene and played electric to sell it to a larger audience, that's what sellouts do, they sell out their old fans and try to get new ones. Kind of like Blink did with enema just more extreme.

in 1966...singer songwriters and british rock where the popular choices....Dylan had established his fan base as an acoustic act (one of the biggest in america) then proceeded to create his own genre..no one had that sound back then.

and your definition of sell out is wrong...Dylan never compromised his music for anything.  The bastardized term of selling out implies a change of integrity.  Blink never lost integrity either when they made enema of the state...its a natural evolution of dude ranch imo.  It was polished and slick, but that doesnt mean they "sold out"