The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

I know people have called AvA/Tom out for ripping off song ideas or reusing stuff before, but Saturday Love is the one that stands out to me the most because the chorus sounds like the chorus from Video Killed The Radio Star. Now I'm too lazy to edit the songs together, but I will point out where they are similar.

Songs/videos by themselves will be posted in spoilers with the specific lyrics underneath for you to check out.

Saturday Love

Points where you can hear it. (1:56-2:13, 2:47-3:18, 3:44-4:16)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7XzLiMQ_s8

I wait sixteen, a Saturday, love.

My heart beats fast and faraway, love.

Your eyes so pure, they never grow up.

You stay with me, we'll never grow up, my love.

Video Killed The Radio Star

[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTT3-vA25Zk

My final consensus on AVA...

Love is their best record. It has the most songs on it that feel "complete", and the "ambient" parts seem to add more to the songs than on other records. I-Empire is a close second. Love Part Two and WDNTW are far too unfocused for me to enjoy. However, WDNTW does contain some of their best work, even if they are diamonds in the rough.

Ethereal, global, transcendentalist...These are things AVA pretends to be. And while it often fails to do so, there are a few moments where it can convince the listener that it is all of them.

Those moments have me somewhat excited for their new record...However, I am almost positive 8/12 of these songs will be the same crap that's come from this band, overproduced and full of flat vocals.

And lastly, if Tom finds true fulfillment in something so far gone from Blink's sound, then maybe Blink should just break up. I'd rather have some closure before they truly being to tarnish their legacy. But of course, the best case scenario is for Tom to realize AVA has run its course and get back to the main show.

So it doesn't bother you at all to hear a chorus with the lyrics "I think I like today, I think it's good"?

With lyrics I notice if they're completely terrible but I don't really care. I mean it's all about the melody and how the singer sounds more than what they sing for me. Never been big into analyzing lyrics, plus I always hated English class, metaphors and all that bs I prefer it simple no idea what Mark's talking about most of the time these days

AVA are one of my favourite bands but just about every song I get bummed that Travis isn't drumming on it, or Mark doesn't come in anywhere. Like Start the Machine with Travis going nuts near the end and Mark coming in with vocal harmonies at 2:40 would be sooo fucking awesome. As is they're in my top 10 favourite bands but definitely could be better on most songs with a producer or Mark/Travis but I just enjoy getting more Tom music with occasionally a song I like more than some blink stuff

As for Atom I didn't mind him leaving. Some parts like the verse of The Adventure/Valkyrie Missile/Some Origins of Fire and much more I can't stand the drums. You could tell he was pissed that Tom was doing a lot of blink stuff after 2009 as well. The Gift and some others were standouts but it'll be nice to have a new drummer. Pretty excited for that album to be honest

With lyrics I notice if they're completely terrible but I don't really care. I mean it's all about the melody and how the singer sounds more than what they sing for me. Never been big into analyzing lyrics, plus I always hated English class, metaphors and all that bs I prefer it simple

AVA are one of my favourite bands but just about every song I get bummed that Travis isn't drumming on it, or Mark doesn't come in anywhere. Like Start the Machine with Travis going nuts near the end and Mark coming in with vocal harmonies at 2:40 would be sooo fucking awesome. As is they're in my top 10 favourite bands but definitely could be better on most songs with a producer or Mark/Travis but I just enjoy getting more Tom music with occasionally a song I like more than some blink stuff

As for Atom I didn't mind him leaving. Some parts like the verse of The Adventure/Valkyrie Missile/Some Origins of Fire and much more I can't stand the drums. You could tell he was pissed that Tom was doing a lot of blink stuff after 2009 as well. The Gift and some others were standouts but it'll be nice to have a new drummer. Pretty excited for that album to be honest

I feel the same way. Its never about what theyre singin about but the melody

Good Day was the worst song on that album by a country mile, get your heads checked people.

Lol completely agree. And worse yet, defending/analyzing those lyrics? Ouch. That's just embarrassing .

Good Day was the worst song on that album by a country mile, get your heads checked people.

I think for the most part its actually a great song, but dear lord, those chorus lyrics of I think I like today, I think its good. really really ruin the song.  I mean I think the verses are great, and I like the rest of the chorus that follows, but he just has these so awkward and cringe lyrics that they just ruin the song.  I can not for the life of me understand why Tom didn't work on the lyrics another hour and find something that actually sounded even just decent there.

Worst song on that album though?  I think I'd say The War or Distraction.  2 of the most boring tracks they've ever created, I can not understand the love I see here and there for The War, it sucks so bad.