The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

3 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Off topic post but I'm bursting with rage at the seams so I really feel the need to vent here:

For all the people that discount the self-titled album. Whether it's hipsters/music snobs, die hard Blink fans that can't get over their evolution of sound (looking at you, Davey), etc.

This album was fucking brilliant. It stands out as having both the best production and drumming of any Blink album. The songs flow so naturally into one another, and Travis was at his peak. I think Travis only gets better with time, but his drumming matched Tom's guitar work so perfectly on this album. It was also Jerry Finn's last time working with the band, and you can clearly hear the difference when listening to Neighborhoods after having heard self-titled.

If you think self-titled was a bad album, you just have a bad opinion on Blink. I know, music is subjective and all that. But if you were a fan up until self-titled, and enjoy Neighborhoods, then you just have a shitty opinion on their progression as a band. Really no other way of getting around it. 

No one likes a contrarian. Go jerk off with super glue, because I'm sure most people don't enjoy doing that so you can get yourself off while knowing you're in the minority of methods on getting yourself off simultaneously, kill two birds with one stone while you're at it. 

I agree. But was the band who was at its peak, not only Travis. Until now, Untitled it's their pinnacle. No matter who thinks what.

• Like 1

Untitled discussion # 5690

I don't think anyone has ever said "it sucks" except maybe a few nuts like Davey who still think Scott Raynor is a god.

But there are people who grew up during Blink's joke song days, like me, with the high tube socks and the flaming fuck sign, and that holds more of a special place in their heart. Untitled is a great album but for me to say that it was Blink at their peak or their best album, feels a bit like the carefree immature days of Blink weren't all they great. They were amazing. If you saw Blink in 2001, if you saw them on the PDT, back before they hated each other, you'd know what I meant.

• Like 5

I kinda agree with you, Oli, but I make difference between the funniest moments with the "we don't care" attitude which made blink what they were back in the 90s, and the artistic development they were able to achieve.

Sure, another Enema/TOYPAJ instead Untitled would have been a commercial succes, but it would have been a career suicide, probably. Music was heading into new directions, punkpop too, and they were one of the first ones to leave all that behind to put out a risky album. They experimented and developed themselves as musicians in order to provide new stuff and evolve. Artistically, that moment was their peak.

Sure we all have our taste, but well...

• Like 1

I agree with Oliver there. I wasnt a fan of untitled when it came out, and for a few years after. Now its right up there with the rest of their older discography as a classic to me, just not quite up to par with the rest. Looking back it was the perfect direction for them to head.

In my eyes dude ranch and older material is almost a different band when comparing to untitled or newer. Its kind of a different genre. Same band makes it kind of neat they were able to evolve instead of being another band like say NOFX (who I really like, but theyre consistent with every record..but it works for them).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Strobber said:

sorry, It's the truth bro. They changed their style for the fame, scott didn't dig into that so he was drinking and that's why they kicked him out.

Yeah because if you don't like the sound of your band you become an alcoholic.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, jd9973l said:

I agree with Oliver there. I wasnt a fan of untitled when it came out, and for a few years after. Now its right up there with the rest of their older discography as a classic to me, just not quite up to par with the rest. Looking back it was the perfect direction for them to head.

In my eyes dude ranch and older material is almost a different band when comparing to untitled or newer. Its kind of a different genre. Same band makes it kind of neat they were able to evolve instead of being another band like say NOFX (who I really like, but theyre consistent with every record..but it works for them).

Indeed, man. And here comes my thoughts:

If you pay attention, the biggest bands in the world just evolved. They ended up being a very different thing that they were in their beginnings. Sure, the likes of NOFX, Bad Religion and Pennywise will always be doing the same. But they are what they are, for the best and the worse. It works because is a phormula that it has been proven. It just works, and it has some commercial acceptance. It just sells itself. In the other hand, if you look to bands as The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones, or artists as Elvis Presley or David Bowie (to mention some we all know well), they just evolved through the years. They explored. They put risk on their work.

Even in classical music, you can hear how writers as Beethoven changed thwough the years. It's somethign that happens when you talk about art (I hate that word since Tom owed it). Artists use to evolve. An artist's life is like a never ending search. It's like life itself.

1 hour ago, Olidamus said:

I don't think anyone has ever said "it sucks" except maybe a few nuts like Davey who still think Scott Raynor is a god.

But there are people who grew up during Blink's joke song days, like me, with the high tube socks and the flaming fuck sign, and that holds more of a special place in their heart. Untitled is a great album but for me to say that it was Blink at their peak or their best album, feels a bit like the carefree immature days of Blink weren't all they great. They were amazing. If you saw Blink in 2001, if you saw them on the PDT, back before they hated each other, you'd know what I meant.

I agree.

Part of why I find it so weird that these younger, post-untitled era fans are turned off by the joke songs. 

That was such a huge part of what connected me and my friends to blink. 

Like the banter on MTATS, listening to that i would sit there giggling like, holy shit, these guys are just like me and my friends. It was awesome 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Olidamus said:

Meh, I saw them when they were joking and all that good stuff live in 2002 in Milwaukee during the Pop Disaster tour.  And while it was fun to see them goofing around and all that, I was never there for the jokes.  Yeah, I enjoyed them, but that was never the point for me.  I thoroughly enjoyed that show, but my favorite show I've seen of them for sure was the 2004 Milwaukee Summerfest show because the new songs were so awesome, and I really liked how they changed up some of the older songs like The Rock Show and STFTK during that tour, plus the Medley was a really cool thing they did that tour, and they were still pretty dang goofy between songs back then anyway.  I honestly didn't think the live show I saw in 2002 was all that different than the show in 2004 supporting the Untitled album in terms of atmosphere or their chemistry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

I agree.

Part of why I find it so weird that these younger, post-untitled era fans are turned off by the joke songs. 

That was such a huge part of what connected me and my friends to blink. 

Like the banter on MTATS, listening to that i would sit there giggling like, holy shit, these guys are just like me and my friends. It was awesome 

I agree. I obviously like untitled, but its always been the album i listen to the least. Ive always loved them for the jokes and for their friendship of each other. I just wish i could of got to see them in that time period. 

3 hours ago, Strobber said:

sorry, It's the truth bro. They changed their style for the fame, scott didn't dig into that so he was drinking and that's why they kicked him out.

You and Davey are gunna become best friends then. Why did you join if you don't like anything post dude ranch? 

• Like 1

I didn't grow up with blink, but to me Untitled is a perfect record and by far my favorite album ever made by any band. That's saying a lot, but that's really how much I love it.

That's not to say I don't also love pre-Untitled blink and all their stupid jokes and humor. That's a massive part of the reason why I became a fan of the band in the first place, because blink cracked me up. I love their humor so much that I was almost disappointed that they didn't spend more time just talking and making stupid jokes when I saw them live. I'd trade a song or two for more stupid banter.

• Like 2

I've kind of loved every face of the band, until the first split. I initially fell in love with the polish pop punk hugeness of Enema and TOYPAJ, went back and fell in love with the rawer, 'we dont give a shit' attitude of the earlier albums, and I fell in love with blink when they changed their sound for a more aggressive, serious tone. I loved all of those versions of blink, for different reasons. I think it really depends on the age you were when you found them, and what you were introduced to by them first. It's easier for people who got into them later to love untitled more than their previous work because they'd matured as songwriters and had much better production value. it's easier for old school fans to struggle with the later records because the sound is miles apart to what they attached themselves to, and their heroes changed.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with either side of that. Raw, punk 'rawk' blink was fantastic. moody, serious, Tom loved his weird ass fringe blink was fantastic. bubble gum pop running around naked and spending way too much time on the front cover of magazines along britney spears blink was fantastic. 

If anything, it's pretty special that one band can evoke such different reactions in people depending on which of their records they hear. 

• Like 1

Untitled/Selftitled was definitely a good album (a very good album, I've always thought they should have continued with that sound, don't think they've done that), but Enema of the State is all whats Blink about. They got big because of Enema and YOYPAJ - they upped their game with 2003-album and then unfortunately Tom lost his fucking mind.

I got introduced to blink in 1998 i think and I always loved whatever they did. And I love each album as its own. Sometimes I listen to Enema constantly, then maybe selftitled constantly. Depends. oh the good times though back in the day, I had a 'Tom Delonge fringe hair' all my teenage years. Wonderful times.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bastard said:

Untitled/Selftitled was definitely a good album (a very good album, I've always thought they should have continued with that sound, don't think they've done that), but Enema of the State is all whats Blink about. They got big because of Enema and YOYPAJ - they upped their game with 2003-album and then unfortunately Tom lost his fucking mind.

Yes, mate. But I don't agree on the bold. "Love Me Do" is not all what's The Beatles are about, neither Enema is all what's Blink about. With all the distance between both bands, the fact is very similar. Beatles helped to define a type of sound and merge lots of influences to do it. Blink did a similar thing, thew grabbed tons of incfluences and developed the actual base for what punkpop became later.

Then, Beatles released Rubber Soul and Sgt. Pepper. They broke their own thing. And that's what's considered their peak (although they released great albums after that). Are they rememebered as the rock 'n' roll kids they were when they released their first albums? I don't think so.

Blink released their own "Sgt. Pepper" on "Untitled", and set an important makr on what they wanted to do after that (more or less they have been following that path).

• Like 3

I disagree. I can understand (and I'd argue the same thing) you as a fan, and that's the thing, you're talking as a fan. But I think if you have to objective in describing Blink (simply put, answer the question: how is Blink remembered by non-fans?) you just know most people will always see them as the guys who made ATST and WMAA, running around naked in music videos.

Their peak probably was during the 2003-2005 era, but I think Enema had much more influence on pop culture then Untitled. And I do think it is generally more well known than Untitled.

But hey, I'm no expert, just talking about my opinion and personal experiences. I might be wrong.

• Like 1

Yep, I get you. Of course we are just putting here our personal thoughts :) .  That's what I said on another post: to me are separate things in the sense that if we speak about commercial succes, yes, Enema-TOYPAJ will be probably their peak. If we speak about artistic risk, experimenting and creative peak, to me Untitled is the one without a doubt.