The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Shape is, musically, one of the best compositions I have ever heard. Every second of it absolutely genius. I remember having my mind blown by the Deadly Rhythm. So many good moments. Like how the rests in the opening of Worms of the Senses make you expect something will be there three damn times, and then finally the flams set everything up and you're like "There it is, here it comes" and the guitar just comes in with its epic tone with the new drum beat and just fucking slays everything. Or how New Noise builds like 4 times before it finally lets loose into the outro. Absolute classic in my eyes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I remember after the blink breakup Mark said he didn't like The Adventure. But then after the blink reunion Mark said he liked The Adventure. lolol

No, mark always liked the adventure, it was the rest of the album he didn't like.

"The verses in the first single were cool, but everything just fell apart after that. The rest of the songs on the album seemed long and repetitious." - Mark Hoppus
http://www.b182.com/askmark1.html

Tom also used some unused Blink 182 material on the album.

"During the long hours of downtime on tour, we would go in there and lay down ideas for the next blink-182 album. There were some cool songs started in those dressing rooms. After Tom quit, our old manager called and said that he was going to take some of the ideas that we had started on the tour and rerecord them for Tom’s new band. When the Angels and Airwaves record came out, I was actually excited to hear what had become of those ideas. There were some great beginnings in those demos. I was really disappointed in what became of them, though, for the same reasons I mentioned above. I thought they would have made great blink-182 songs, but something got lost in the translation."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Magnious said:

"The verses in the first single were cool, but everything just fell apart after that. The rest of the songs on the album seemed long and repetitious." - Mark Hoppus

I always took that quote as "the verses of The Adventure were alright but the rest of the song sucked."

mark wasn't wrong. the adventure's verses are great.

sooooo... anyone seen tom post anything TTS-related in a long while? perhaps i'm not paying enough attention, but he used to tweet/post about poet anderson, AVA, and all sorts of things like that. he hasn't in a long while. it makes me wonder where he's at personally. perhaps blink moving on without him and the negative press he's gotten is taking its toll. maybe that's why he took a vacation to hawaii the week of california's release.

5 hours ago, Magnious said:

No, mark always liked the adventure, it was the rest of the album he didn't like.

Tom also used some unused Blink 182 material on the album.

"During the long hours of downtime on tour, we would go in there and lay down ideas for the next blink-182 album. There were some cool songs started in those dressing rooms. After Tom quit, our old manager called and said that he was going to take some of the ideas that we had started on the tour and rerecord them for Tom’s new band. When the Angels and Airwaves record came out, I was actually excited to hear what had become of those ideas. There were some great beginnings in those demos. I was really disappointed in what became of them, though, for the same reasons I mentioned above. I thought they would have made great blink-182 songs, but something got lost in the translation."

It Hurts *must* be one of them. maybe The War. I've always been curious about this.

4 hours ago, Scott. said:

Love the war. The making of that song on YouTube is wicked 

This.

The War is awesome, it would be an awesome anthemic blink song. As it is Secret Crowds (which is a remake of The War, basically). I always loved It Hurts too. Distraction has a very nice chorus too, the melody could have been a blink song.

4 hours ago, GrimCityGirl said:

It Hurts *must* be one of them. maybe The War. I've always been curious about this.

Well The Machine I think is super obvious given that they used that tune again in Snake Charmer.  I have to imagine it was a tune they were developing for that album before being brought to WDNTW.

Anyway, seeing blink tonight in Milwaukee at Summerfest!! It's like their first real full show since the album was released, hoping to hear more California songs, but kinda suspecting we won't... especially since this is technically a festival show and not a part of the actual tour, but we'll see.

• Like 1