The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

On August 27, 2016 at 11:21 AM, GrimCityGirl said:

How can literally decades of music spanning countless genres be "overrated" ? 

Because of its simplicity & lack of emotional ties. Not talking about everything before 1980, but much of it was felt commercialized and in it for the love of money/fame.

I'm not the biggest fan of the 60s and 70s but there was enough amazing stuff out there at the time.

70s: Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, Big Star, Ramones, Joy Division, ABBA, The Who, Bowie, Queen, Stooges/Iggy, MC5, T-Rex, Funkadelic, James Brown, Big Star, Kate Bush, Can, The Kinks, Suicide, Velvet Underground/LouReed, Roxy Music, Leonard Cohen, Blondie, Brian Eno, Neil Young, XTC, The Clash, Nick Drake, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Curtis Mayfield, Modern Lovers, Kraftwork, Devo, Wire, Cramps, Fleetwood Mac, Dylan, Harry Nilson, Van Halen, The Cars, Lennon, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Television, Dolly Parton, Sex Pistols, Sabbath, Nick Lowe, Slits.

Now as a whole, I do like the 80s, 90s, and 00s more. But I really recommend checking some of these out. Some are no brainers, but it wasnt' all KISS and Foghat.

• Like 1

There is just so much in the 60s and 70s. I mean sure, a lot of 50s music and before was a bit more samey and simplistic, but that was the kick start to so many different things that it needs to be respected. the 60s and onwards is where music just went through the roof with its differences and complexities. there is something for everyone in each decade, it's just a case of finding it. 

• Like 1

Some great albums by a few of the bands that Kyle listed:

The Who: Tommy, widely considered to be the first major rock opera

The Kinks: The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society, a concept album about English life, has some awesome lyrics

Fleetwood Mac: Rumours, one of the best pop albums of all time with fantastic production quality and cool harmonies

These are just three of many 60s-70s albums that changed the face of music forever, and they're three of my personal favorites. Plus I think they're all complex and authentic in their own ways if you want to hear artists from that time period who sound genuinely invested in their music. I highly recommend any of them @nextmarkhoppus44.

On 8/27/2016 at 5:58 PM, Dylan_ said:

I love the classic rock'n'roll bands from the 60's and 70's. I'm always listening to Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Flloyd and The Who.

Most of those bands sucked, at least in the 70's. Fleetwood Mac is the exception, they got better in the 70's. 

On 8/27/2016 at 7:35 PM, Nasa said:

I like The Beatles a lot. I feel like a lot of the people who say "What's the big deal with The Beatles? 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' is simplistic pop trash." haven't heard any or much of their later stuff. I also think they're overrated, but maybe that's because pop music and its musical structures are nothing new to me. For most of their hardcore fans who grew up with their music as it was coming out, that's probably not the case.

I haven't dug deep in The Rolling Stones' catalogue very much, but I do like their most famous songs.

I think The Who are underrated. And I think The Beach Boys are even more underrated. Pink Floyd though, they're overrated. Even as a major fan, I only listen to about 3 of their albums on a regular basis. You could probably guess which ones.

The 1980s really changed things for music because of the rise of mediums like MTV. The image became just as significant as the music, I feel like. Musicians and people who perform music aren't the same thing in my eyes. 

But there has always been shitty music imo. Music's quality didn't suddenly take a nosedive after the 1990s ended. The only reason it seems like there wasn't any shitty music back then is because society forgot all about the shitty music in favor of the bands/artists that made good music, which we remember today. Things always look better with time. We're already having nostalgia for 2000s pop music and that decade just ended lol. 

I wanna Hold Your Hand is a great song. People who call that "pop trash" and jerk off to some shit song from the White album are the worst. 

I agree with most of this though. The Who's first albums are perfect, they weren't even that unbearable in the 70's, but pretty unbearable. The Rolling Stones were great in 1967 and 68, it sucks that those aren't really the years they are most known for. 

Music in the 50's was a bit simplistic. Most of the songs had the same chord progressions and the lyrics were silly and immature a lot of the time. And the songs were only like 2 and a half minutes. 

I need to listen to What's my Age Again to get some complexity now. 

• Like 1

The White Album is my favorite Beatles album honestly. There's some great tunes on there. But it's definitely got some cringe tracks (Why Don't We Do It In The Road) and some overwrought ones too (Revolution 9). The fact that the band was tearing apart at the seams at that point, resulting in so many different types of songs, is why I like it so much. 

I think Sgt. Pepper is better, both conceptually and cohesively. Probably my second favorite. I also think Abbey Road is overrated. 

• Like 1

Classic rock is the first major genre that I seriously got into. I still like it, but I don't listen to it nearly as much now. I realized I was being insufferably pretentious when I was telling everyone that Led Zeppelin was the best band in history and that no one would ever make music better than them, lol. After that I realized I should probably listen to new bands and expand my musical horizons.

I think a lot of less famous bands from the 60s-70s are underrated and deserve more credit for their work. But you'd never hear about them what with all the Pink Floyd worshippers running around telling everyone that all modern music sucks. 

24 minutes ago, Nasa said:

I realized I was being insufferably pretentious when I was telling everyone that Led Zeppelin was the best band in history and that no one would ever make music better than them, lol. After that I realized I should probably listen to new bands and expand my musical horizons.

Lol. I know the type. They might be the best cover band of all time though.

3 hours ago, GrimCityGirl said:

There is just so much in the 60s and 70s. I mean sure, a lot of 50s music and before was a bit more samey and simplistic, but that was the kick start to so many different things that it needs to be respected. the 60s and onwards is where music just went through the roof with its differences of igno and complexities. there is something for everyone in each decade, it's just a case of finding it. 

This. And I'd say more. Without 40-60's music, we never would have what we have now in music. To ignore that is a symthom of ignorance. I can understand that, if someone is used to modern music, can find hard to get into older music, as, sometimes, requires more attention. I mean, an album as California, in terms of sound impact, glossiness, radio friendly and stuff like that, is not comparable to, for example, the old blues recordings of the Paramount Records label (40s-50s), but, well... to me, that old stuff is more interesting that all the modern stuff together.

Not pretending to sound snob here. Is a matter of musicality, of how all that old recordings were full of truth, soul, feel and authenticity. I mean, it's not explanable with words: you have to listen and re-educate the ear in order to get rid of all the modern paraphernalia we all get bombed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nasa said:

Some great albums by a few of the bands that Kyle listed:

The Who: Tommy, widely considered to be the first major rock opera

The Kinks: The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society, a concept album about English life, has some awesome lyrics

Fleetwood Mac: Rumours, one of the best pop albums of all time with fantastic production quality and cool harmonies

These are just three of many 60s-70s albums that changed the face of music forever, and they're three of my personal favorites. Plus I think they're all complex and authentic in their own ways if you want to hear artists from that time period who sound genuinely invested in their music. I highly recommend any of them @nextmarkhoppus44.

With the permission of Pet Sounds, Odessey and Oracle and Sgt. Pepper, I suppose...