The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

7 minutes ago, Ghost said:

With the permission of Pet Sounds, Odessey and Oracle and Sgt. Pepper, I suppose...

Oh of course. That's why I said "three of many". Every album has its influences. I'm not trying to downplay that. Those are just three popular records that paved the way for a lot of later music. I think they'd be a good starting point, and you could dig deeper if you wanted to. 

You've got to be kidding me if you think most classic rock bands music is mediocore or shit. I like classic rock, not my absolute favorite but you have to respect them. Even the 50s era (which happens to be great imo). Where do you think the ramones, clash, other 1st generation punk rockers got their melodies from? And the bands from the 90s and 00s got theirs from them. So to tell me you adore blink182 records and think 50s rock is garbage you are a fool. I get it if its not your cup of tea but you have to respect it for what it was and what it did for music. Goes for all eras of rock.

16 minutes ago, jd9973l said:

You've got to be kidding me if you think most classic rock bands music is mediocore or shit. I like classic rock, not my absolute favorite but you have to respect them. Even the 50s era (which happens to be great imo). Where do you think the ramones, clash, other 1st generation punk rockers got their melodies from? And the bands from the 90s and 00s got theirs from them. So to tell me you adore blink182 records and think 50s rock is garbage you are a fool. I get it if its not your cup of tea but you have to respect it for what it was and what it did for music. Goes for all eras of rock.

I don't think there's a contradiction in liking modern bands but thinking old bands made garbage music. Old bands are not untouchable. They too are susceptible to the idea that music is subjective. Plus, to say something like:

1 hour ago, thongrider said:

Music in the 50's was a bit simplistic. Most of the songs had the same chord progressions and the lyrics were silly and immature a lot of the time. And the songs were only like 2 and a half minutes.

is technically true. But pointing it out doesn't deny the influence it had on the music that came afterward. I find Radiohead quite boring, but I don't deny that they've majorly influenced modern music. Dislike doesn't always equal disrespect. There can be a distinction.

No music should be immune to criticism imo, even if it was extremely influential. I can criticize 50s rock bands for repeating chord progressions and still be aware that they played very important roles in the development of later music.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 4:46 PM, M!ke said:

So what exactly makes it better than something that has been around for years at this point like Spotify?  Spotify lets us listen to anything and everything for free.  I guess it doesn't have a link next to each of their songs to buy individually (Though they often have links next to bands to buy their singles, albums, merch and concert tickets).  Unless I'm missing something, SAP isn't really bringing much of anything new to the table.

Spotify as you know is having a lot of problems with the creators, the artists, and the relationship that exist between them. SAP is quite different in that it requires little wear and tear for the listener to hear the song without paying money (essentially renting) and having to listen to countless ads to hear the song they are again, sampling. This way the consumer can decide quickly and efficiently whether they like a musical composition, based strictly on its formal attributes, enough to spend money on it. SAP files sound incredible when compressed and streamed at low resolutions over any laptop speaker or cell phone. They are cheap to produce and take up even less space than the average MP3. They contain just enough meta-data to be recognized by sophisticated genre aggregation software. Everything you love about discovering and sharing free music, minus the cost to anyone: artist or fan. I know this can be hard to wrap your head around, but maybe try it yourself and see?

24 minutes ago, jd9973l said:

I never once said its shit, I stated music before 1980 is overrated. Just because it started the trend of music, or a groundbreaking sound, doesn't necessarily make it "great music" (and i know that topic is completely subjective). I just believe that everyone puts The Beatles on a damn high ass pedestal that they no longer deserve to me. So many underground bands/artists that have a better all around sound than them, yet because they aren't recognized or the mass audience has yet to discover them doesn't make them any worse. I do respect all music. I'll never talk shit on just about any era of music because had it not been for them, much of the music today wouldn't have been. But they're completely outdated now. I honestly do not know how KISS got as big as they did. Also, never once said blink is the greatest band in the world. I'm a complete blinkbot and I know their music have maaaaaannnyyyy faults, but they're my personal favorite band of all time.

3 minutes ago, nextmarkhoppus44 said:

I never once said its shit, I stated music before 1980 is overrated. Just because it started the trend of music, or a groundbreaking sound, doesn't necessarily make it "great music" (and i know that topic is completely subjective). I just believe that everyone puts The Beatles on a damn high ass pedestal that they no longer deserve to me. So many underground bands/artists that have a better all around sound than them, yet because they aren't recognized or the mass audience has yet to discover them doesn't make them any worse. I do respect all music. I'll never talk shit on just about any era of music because had it not been for them, much of the music today wouldn't have been. But they're completely outdated now. I honestly do not know how KISS got as big as they did. Also, never once said blink is the greatest band in the world. I'm a complete blinkbot and I know their music have maaaaaannnyyyy faults, but they're my personal favorite band of all time.

KISS weren't that big until they started to put on the make up and made every live show into a huge theatrical. Gotta give them credit for it though, the KISS army is huge. I've been to a few KISS concerts and they have some of the most dedicated fans I've ever seen. But they basically became sell outs, kind of like blink did when they released Enema. I love me some KISS haha they are my guilty pleasure.

27 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Spotify as you know is having a lot of problems with the creators, the artists, and the relationship that exist between them. SAP is quite different in that it requires little wear and tear for the listener to hear the song without paying money (essentially renting) and having to listen to countless ads to hear the song they are again, sampling. This way the consumer can decide quickly and efficiently whether they like a musical composition, based strictly on its formal attributes, enough to spend money on it. SAP files sound incredible when compressed and streamed at low resolutions over any laptop speaker or cell phone. They are cheap to produce and take up even less space than the average MP3. They contain just enough meta-data to be recognized by sophisticated genre aggregation software. Everything you love about discovering and sharing free music, minus the cost to anyone: artist or fan. I know this can be hard to wrap your head around, but maybe try it yourself and see?

Still don't see what was so special about it at all.   Spotify works great, plus you can get absolutely no ads for free on it simply by using the Web player at play.spotify.com with adblock plus installed in your browser.   I've had zero issues using Spotify ad free for free,  so I see zero reason to go to anything else for listening to all the music that I love.  Why should I care if a sing is compressed or not either?  I'm not downloading the music, just streaming it.  The only place that might be kind of nice is if you're playing on your phone's mobile data and you have a limited amount of gigs per month. 

5 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Tried it, didn't see what was so special about it at all.   Spotify works great, plus you can get absolutely no ads for free on it simply by using the Web player at play.spotify.com with adblock plus installed in your browser.   I've had zero issues using Spotify ad free for free,  so I see zero reason to go to anything else for listening to all the music that I love. 

Well I'm not sure if that's legit or legal. But SAP helps you discover new music free and easily. It's certainly more friendly to the artists than Spotify. Maybe you don't care about them, the creators.

6 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Well I'm not sure if that's legit or legal. But SAP helps you discover new music free and easily. It's certainly more friendly to the artists than Spotify. Maybe you don't care about them, the creators.

I am not an artist, so I legit do not care about that aspect.   Ad blockers have been declared legal, so that isn't an issue.  The ad blocking trick is absolutely legit, I assure you, try for yourself if you don't believe me.   I've spent years building up play lists, radio stations and favorites.   There just is not nearly enough reason to start anew with another application that isn't bringing nearly enough new functions to warrant the move (not to mention the nightmare of recreating all my play lists and starring all my favorites again).

1 hour ago, jd9973l said:

This

1 minute ago, M!ke said:

I am not an artist, so I legit do not care about that aspect.   Ad blockers have been declared legal, so that isn't an issue.  I've spent years building up play lists, radio stations and favorites.   There just is not nearly enough reason to start anew with another application that isn't bringing nearly enough new functions to warrant the move (not to mention the nightmare of recreating all my play lists and starring all my favorites again).

I get that, but SAP certainly has its place. It being artist friendly as well as listener friendly is the goal for it. I just thought you should know.

1 minute ago, _Kyle_ said:

I get that, but SAP certainly has its place. It being artist friendly as well as listener friendly is the goal for it. I just thought you should know.

You make it sounds like Spotify isn't listener friendly though. Don't know of that's your intention or not, but I just want to point out in case you did think that, that Spotify is absolutely user friendly as well, super easy to use and navigate. 

3 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

SAP is user friendly as well, not sure where you may of heard otherwise. But SAP is also great for the creators, CP, and the Artists. Have you tried listening to SAP files on your PONO?

I didn't say your thing isn't easy to use, I'm just saying the fact that you keep pointing that out while I'm talking about why I prefer Spotify makes it sound like you don't think that Spotify is user friendly. Again, not sure if that was your intention, but I just wanted to make it clear in the event you're not aware that Spotify too is very user friendly 

6 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I didn't say your thing isn't easy to use, I'm just saying the fact that you keep pointing that out while I'm talking about why I prefer Spotify makes it sound like you don't think that Spotify is user friendly. Again, not sure if that was your intention, but I just wanted to make it clear in the event you're not aware that Spotify too is very user friendly 

Spotify may be user friendly (I've heard it's been keeping some artists that release exclusive music on Tidal and Apple Music down) in theory, but it often limits the artists, and that in turn limits the users. It's a horrible, vicious cycle. I think SAP corrects this and builds a wonderful foundation between user and content creators alike.