The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

9 minutes ago, MattSkibbasuxatguitar said:

No it wasn't about distance. I'm saying the differences is almost like a different continent.  Different culture - arts entertainment lifestyle, different ethnic population/languages, different state government, different businesses, different landscape & environment & nature, different wildlife, completely different weather & seasons. 

Cling to your diverse history all you want. We have Taco Bell, Authentic Mexican restaurants, Tex-mex, and food trucks that can all claim to serve Mexican food in any given city.  Diversity.

Seriously though, I'm not saying US is more diverse than all of Europe.  But you guys are several underrating the differences between states in the US. They're not even remotely similiar.  The top of California isn't even the same as the bottom of it.  

Can you give us the differences then? I've asked you once already

I think some of the things you listed are definitely not culturally-related things. Irrelevant. I do agree that a lot of non-Americans probably do underestimate the differences. Particularly in recent years (mainly due to internet) I've learned it's not the case. I like hearing about these things. Reddit is a fun site for these kinds of topics.

However, the only thing I said is that it's pretty crazy to compare California and Indiana with Italy and Scotland. I mean, you took Italy as an example. Read this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Italy

I guess we'll never agree. Doesn't matter. One thing I personally really like about the USA: freedom of speech!

8 hours ago, knapton said:

Did someone mention Canada a few pages back?

Yeah I said Canadians and Europeans were cheap

Also for anyone asking about states like Indiana...theres maybe 10 good states in the entire country. For starters, any state not bordering an ocean is automatically bad. And good weather states are typically filled with slow lazy simpletons 

25 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Also for anyone asking about states like Indiana...theres maybe 10 good states in the entire country. For starters, any state not bordering an ocean is automatically bad. And good weather states are typically filled with slow lazy simpletons 

Did you go to college?

55 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Sounds like someone is afraid of the ocean/cant swim. 

I didnt want to make it look like I was bashing Europe, so I added the fact that about 40+ states are bad. Europe is much better and has nicer people, but they have cheapskate tendencies like Canadians. 

I think thats the reason blink cant sell out shows over there. 

I think it has a lot to do with paying for the same thing over and over. The last 4/5 times they've toured over here it's just been a greatest hits setlist. People are gonna get bored of it eventually. I'm not gonna pay money to see the same movie at the cinema countless times, so I'm gonna be even less inclined to fork out 5x that amount to see the same blink show. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

I didnt want to make it look like I was bashing Europe, so I added the fact that about 40+ states are bad. Europe is much better and has nicer people, but they have cheapskate tendencies like Canadians. 

I think thats the reason blink cant sell out shows over there. 

It's more likely due to the fact that blink-182 aren't as big over here as they are in the states. California didn't hit no1 over here, the singles haven't been on the radio, they're purely rolling from the nostalgia angle. Thats why they haven't sold out the shows here.

It has nothing to do with AN ENTIRE CONTINENT being 'cheap' and its a ridiculous statement to make. but well it's you, we shouldn't be surprised at this point. 

5 minutes ago, Kay said:

It's more likely due to the fact that blink-182 aren't as big over here as they are in the states. California didn't hit no1 over here, the singles haven't been on the radio, they're purely rolling from the nostalgia angle. Thats why they haven't sold out the shows here.

It has nothing to do with AN ENTIRE CONTINENT being 'cheap' and its a ridiculous statement to make. but well it's you, we shouldn't be surprised at this point. 

California did get number 1 in the U.K, not sure about rest of Europe though.

4 minutes ago, 2point5 said:

California did get number 1 in the U.K, not sure about rest of Europe though.

I thought it only got to no2 here?

I always got the feeling that a lot of people in the US have the mentality that they are "better than the rest of the world", know everything better, and so on (think they are the world's police, making rules for other countries,...)

A little example: I think it's funny when they call the winners of their national sports leagues  (e.g. NBA) "World Champions" when the sport is played all over the world and they don't compete against international opponents.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Osgod said:

I always got the feeling that a lot of people in the US have the mentality that they are "better than the rest of the world", know everything better, and so on (think they are the world's police, making rules for other countries,...)

A little example: I think it's funny when they call the winners of their national sports leagues  (e.g. NBA) "World Champions" when the sport is played all over the world and they don't compete against international opponents.

I always thought that but the 'world series' is named after a newspaper, not because it's played around the world, so things like that I can understand. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kay said:

I always thought that but the 'world series' is named after a newspaper, not because it's played around the world, so things like that I can understand. 

World Series is just the name of the finals´ series, right?

I was talking mainly about Basketball where the champion of the NBA Finals is referred to as "World Champion"

Man, I just checked out the Pursuit of Tone with Tom for the second time (I watched it the night it originally aired) and it angers me/makes me miss the old Tom so much. He speaks so fondly about his roots - in such a relatable, suburban kid sort of way that wanted nothing more than to just have fun and play punk rock. I don't get how he goes from being that somewhat humble but idealistic guy filled with nostalgia and dare I say rock genius, to being one of the lamest, most dependent-on-social-media-verification selfie-taking sell-out wad. He speaks so fondly of blink's roots with actual honesty, where he's not trying to sell himself or something to his fans - it seems so incredibly genuine.  

One thing that really annoyed me outside of that, was the way he did talk about how blink sounded. While he acknowleges that it was his roots and essentially as true as he could have been, he still uses adjectives such as "childish, nursery-rhymed patterns" to describe blink's songs - including songs like Dammit and Dumpweed. Now, I don't think he means that in a negative way - but regardless, its super condescending to what the music was as a whole. Sure, simplistic as the songs may have been - they still worked and resonated with an entire generation of pop-punk fans. I don't know; I think just the way he speaks of his former self, it's too obvious he's always wanted to isolate that part of his past as being young, immature, and stupid...and as much as I wish it weren't true, if it wasn't obvious with the failed blink re-union...we'll never see that Tom again. And unfortunately - that's the only Tom that will still have chemistry with the Mark we know today. 

• Like 3