The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 minute ago, JarJarBlinks said:

This is the worst part.  

I wish I could actually talk about things I don't like on the album, but the board is balls deep in conspiracy theories and made up fantasies about Matt Skiba's salary.  It would be nice to have a nuanced discussion but it isn't possible atm. 

I'm up for a nuanced discussion! :)

What don't you like?

Besides everyone's super negative opinions about the album, I mean. :P

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

Why can't anyone who doesn't like the album just say they don't like the album and be done with it? It's always gotta be something with Feldy, or the writing method, or them selling out, or Skiba being a bitch, or Mark being some guy scared of failure searching for help, or the big bad label, etc, etc.??!?!! That is my point from like 20 pages ago when I just wanted people to blame Mark/Matt/Travis. If you don't like it, I get it. It's no big deal. But just blame the dudes and be done with it. (This isn't to you in particular @boxelder, just in general). There always has to be some narrative/excuse to go with it... 

Why? 

That's ridiculous, if the production sucks, that's Feldmann's fault. If Matt makes something that sounds like Matt and Feldmann don't want it because he wants some manufactured crap, that's Feldmann too. Matt has now shat on Alk 3 fans to get rich making Feldmann tunes, isn't that something they should be allowed to be pissed for (that is afterall what this debate is about, so whether California is good or not is pretty much irrelevant in this discussion) Mark being scared of failure isn't something I don't know anything about, but it does seem like he's in a dry spell when it comes to songwriting, but so does Matt, but that is pure speculation. I'm not sure about the label. I will never trust record labels though.

I think the fans who are stoked "that we're finally getting so many songs" are part of the problem too. Maybe if they spend a bit more time on the album instead of making it just to please music-hungry fans we would get something better. If Tom was still in the band we could get an album in  2019 and it could be really good, instead we might get bunch of manufactured Feldmann albums before that time. 

• Like 1

Wait, thongrider, are you telling me you don't like the production on California and place the blame on Feldmann? You think Skiba is only in this for the money? Mark has writers block? You wish Tom was in the band? 

Wow man, those are some hot takes. I hope you can elaborate in the future

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ryan1125 said:

Why can't anyone who doesn't like the album just say they don't like the album and be done with it? It's always gotta be something with Feldy, or the writing method, or them selling out, or Skiba being a bitch, or Mark being some guy scared of failure searching for help, or the big bad label, etc, etc.??!?!! That is my point from like 20 pages ago when I just wanted people to blame Mark/Matt/Travis. If you don't like it, I get it. It's no big deal. But just blame the dudes and be done with it. (This isn't to you in particular @boxelder, just in general). There always has to be some narrative/excuse to go with it... 

there's no excuse -- we're just explaining WHY it is we don't like the album, and as fans of the band, trying to decipher just how this came to be. feldmann's an easy scapegoat, for sure, but that's just par for the course for any band that works with a super-producer that alters their sound. but i think mark, matt and travis share just as much of the blame and i think most people who dislike cali would say the same.

• Like 1

I just didn't care much for the songs on California. They weren't terrible, just didn't do anything me. I don't think everyone or anyone particular involved is shitty at what they did, it just wasn't music I enjoyed.

I'm not required to like everything a band puts out and they aren't required to write music I like ... I get what I get and if I dig it then great, if I don't well, fuck it, who cares. I can either stop listening to the band or I can hope I'll be more into their other stuff.

Rational people don't sit around and critique and decipher shit they claim to dislike as if it isn't just about personal preference.

I liked a good chunk of the Deluxe though, so there's that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clarke said:

See you just keep going with it.  You pull out some random insult attempt that has no damned thing to do with anything.  Change your standup act dude.  Borderline Amy Schumer status right there.  

Awhile back I decided it was best to put Ghent on a permanent ignore in regards to any type of rational debate.

He is totally incapable of any type of rational discussion and its really like talking to a brick wall. Its a complete waste of time.

Ghent's a good guy, but he has his troll act down to a science, so I decided from now on if I reply to him, all I will give him is the same troll act he gives back.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Speedo said:

I just didn't care much for the songs on California. They weren't terrible, just didn't do anything me. I don't think everyone or anyone particular involved is shitty at what they did, it just wasn't music I enjoyed.

I'm not required to like everything a band puts out and they aren't required to write music I like ... I get what I get and if I dig it then great, if I don't well, fuck it, who cares. I can either stop listening to the band or I can hope I'll be more into their other stuff.

Rational people don't sit around and critique and decipher shit they claim to dislike as if it isn't just about personal preference.

I liked a good chunk of the Deluxe though, so there's that.

DeluxeBot

5 hours ago, Nasa said:

I'm up for a nuanced discussion! :)

What don't you like?

Besides everyone's super negative opinions about the album, I mean. :P

Shit I forgot about this! Lol. 

My biggest complaint is honestly the over-use of the bored to death intro riff. I think Skiba didn't want to step on any toes in the first album but cmon, there's only so many times you can use it. 

The other thing that bothers me is the predictable mark/Matt dynamic. Again, I understand the huge undertaking of replacing someone so important as Tom, but I really wish they let Matt breathe a little bit more on his own. 

The joke songs (besides built this pool) also haven't aged well for me.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Shit I forgot about this! Lol. 

My biggest complaint is honestly the over-use of the bored to death intro riff. I think Skiba didn't want to step on any toes in the first album but cmon, there's only so many times you can use it. 

The other thing that bothers me is the predictable mark/Matt dynamic. Again, I understand the huge undertaking of replacing someone so important as Tom, but I really wish they let Matt breathe a little bit more on his own. 

The joke songs (besides built this pool) also haven't aged well for me.

The bored to death riff has gotten out of hand, never seen anything like it before where a band literally repeats the same intro in 7 different songs. They only get a pass because their name is Blink 182.

Misery is still so fucking good. Lately I've been starting the album at Good Old Days and skipping the first 2 as I listened to those to death when they first dropped. This morning I played Misery and it reminded me that it's probably my favourite post Tom song. Parking Lot is still pretty balls though. 

I really like the new Deluxe stuff, but in spots it still suffers from Feldman fuckups. Like "Last Train Home" where Matt says "Last train hoooooommmmee" its too much. Feldman doesn't grasp the concept of less being more  with vocals. Feldman is credited for making things sounds like Blink 182, but that excess vocal shit is not Blink at all.

The riffs are recycled for sure, but I don't find that it really detracts that much from the songs.