The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

3 hours ago, ryan1125 said:

Lol @FightingTheGravity I knew I was going to hate that Daniel guy just from the preview photo where he's trying to look just like Travis. He tries to mimic him so hard lmao. Him and Leo need to start a Blink cover band, there has to be a Mark wannabe out there gellin' his bangs straight up.

Yes, any 40 year old insurance salesman could fill in for Mark.  This would be hilarious.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2017 at 7:50 AM, FightingTheGravity said:

Ha this popped up on a notification for must see new videos...

It wasn't terrible effort, really awkward at times though, those young millennials.

That dude made me wonder if skiba was not a vegan

Idk where to put this but I'm sure the California haterz will have a hey day, 311's new album is out today, and here are some comments about Feldmann from their fanbase (Feldmann co-wrote/produced 5 tracks on Mosaic):

"His writing and production styles are very mainstream (at least for who he produces with). 311 had a finished 12 track album of genuine 311 greatness, but then decided to enlist a "hit-maker" producer to add another 5 tracks on top of it that sound unlike anything 311 have done before, in what most fans seem to consider a bad way. I'm not sure if you've heard the album yet, but compare any of tracks 1, 5, 8, 11, or 17 to any other track on the album and you should hear the difference. The melodies are predictable, the production is way glossier including different guitar tones than the rest of the tracks."

" it's just not a 311 sound I enjoy. Way too poppy and mainstream sounding for my taste. The og 12 songs make a phenomenal 311 album and the 5 additions make me cringe at times"

"I don't think a ton of people enjoy that his hand/direction is so easy to identify when he works with bands. Like, take Scotch working with 311 or Jerry Finn working with blink-182... It's very difficult to hear their influence there because they essentially just bring out the best of the band they're working with. All of Jerry's work with different bands sounds so different, but it's all so good because he just helps them work through creative blocks. Jerry, himself, is not very identifiable.

With Feldmann, on the other hand, he has many things about his work that are easily identifiable. Like you said, the way he mixes, the addition of the "whoas", the simplistic song structures... the second you hear those things (in any band), you know that was his influence. It's like he tried to bring both blink and 311 closer to HIS view of what they sounded like. And I don't think people enjoy that aspect"

"He makes some generic production choices, forces overly poppy lines or vocals, and has a kind of insufferable punchable face. He believes musicians should write super fast so they don't overthink and are just writing what's truly from the heart in the spur of the moment. He encourages bands to include tons of poppy "woahhs" and other common filler sounds."

"It's too poppy and produced sounding"

"In my opinion, Till The City's On Fire is the worst 311 song. Ever. Period. I mean, these guys are what, 50 years old and singing about how they can't wait for the weekend?? Whats next, a collaboration with Pitbull or something? The album would be GREAT without the 5 Feldmann tracks."

giphy.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ryan1125 said:

Idk where to put this but I'm sure the California haterz will have a hey day, 311's new album is out today, and here are some comments about Feldmann from their fanbase (Feldmann co-wrote/produced 5 tracks on Mosaic):

"His writing and production styles are very mainstream (at least for who he produces with). 311 had a finished 12 track album of genuine 311 greatness, but then decided to enlist a "hit-maker" producer to add another 5 tracks on top of it that sound unlike anything 311 have done before, in what most fans seem to consider a bad way. I'm not sure if you've heard the album yet, but compare any of tracks 1, 5, 8, 11, or 17 to any other track on the album and you should hear the difference. The melodies are predictable, the production is way glossier including different guitar tones than the rest of the tracks."

" it's just not a 311 sound I enjoy. Way too poppy and mainstream sounding for my taste. The og 12 songs make a phenomenal 311 album and the 5 additions make me cringe at times"

"I don't think a ton of people enjoy that his hand/direction is so easy to identify when he works with bands. Like, take Scotch working with 311 or Jerry Finn working with blink-182... It's very difficult to hear their influence there because they essentially just bring out the best of the band they're working with. All of Jerry's work with different bands sounds so different, but it's all so good because he just helps them work through creative blocks. Jerry, himself, is not very identifiable.

With Feldmann, on the other hand, he has many things about his work that are easily identifiable. Like you said, the way he mixes, the addition of the "whoas", the simplistic song structures... the second you hear those things (in any band), you know that was his influence. It's like he tried to bring both blink and 311 closer to HIS view of what they sounded like. And I don't think people enjoy that aspect"

"He makes some generic production choices, forces overly poppy lines or vocals, and has a kind of insufferable punchable face. He believes musicians should write super fast so they don't overthink and are just writing what's truly from the heart in the spur of the moment. He encourages bands to include tons of poppy "woahhs" and other common filler sounds."

"It's too poppy and produced sounding"

"In my opinion, Till The City's On Fire is the worst 311 song. Ever. Period. I mean, these guys are what, 50 years old and singing about how they can't wait for the weekend?? Whats next, a collaboration with Pitbull or something? The album would be GREAT without the 5 Feldmann tracks."

giphy.gif

Hahaha oh man, I grew up loving 311 just about as much as Blink but haven't been into their last decade's worth of music really. I'm gonna check this out out of curiosity though.

EDIT: a minute into Til The City's On Fire and yes this is fucking awful

2 hours ago, Kevin. said:

honestly, what mark came up with wasn't too bad considering both of them were put in the shittiest most awkward situation ever (30 mins to write a song in front of an audience) and they don't even write music for the same genre. at least it sounds like mark and not feldmann. 

I thought it was pretty cringey. Honestly what would have made it better is if as soon as they started trying fiddling with the instruments Feldmann came down on wires and takes over the rest of the writing while those 2 dicked around on the internet.

To be fair, Mike Shinodas base layer track for them to go off of was terrible.

2 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

the first two paragraphs of this are the most cliche things i've ever read. couldn't make it through the rest of the article. 

hahaha you made it longer than I did.

On 6/21/2017 at 5:41 PM, Champ182 said:

Haha I did this exact thing as well, it's a nice way to appreciate this era's good points!

1. Cynical
2. Bored To Death
3. Good Old Days
4. San Diego
5. Last Train Home
6. Rabbit Hole
7. No Future
8. Misery
9. The Only Thing That Matters
10. Left Alone
11. Long Lost Feeling

11 out of 27 isn't a great batting average, but it does make up for a full album's worth of enjoyable songs that ended up sounded pretty cohesive together, so in the future I can just ignore the rest!

1. Los Angeles
2. Bored to Death
3. Misery
4. Last Train Home
5. 6/8
6. Left Alone
7. Good Old Days
8. San Diego
9. Home Is Such a Lonely Place
10. Hey I'm Sorry
11. Bottom of the Ocean
12. Long Lost Feeling
13. Bored to Death (Acoustic Live)

This is my playlist that I've named as the "California" album haha. I'll probably add to it and remove some when the next album is out. I doubt I'll like the whole album if Feldman is the producer, but hopefully I do.