The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

On 8/10/2017 at 2:25 AM, Cheerios4u98 said:

That comparison is depressing... haha. I remember thinking Tom sounded really weird in that 2009 one. But, compared to a lot of AVA performances, it was actually really good, so I was still pleased. I had set the bar real low for "good" Tom performances back then.

I'd still take Tom over Matt though, in a heartbeat, even if Matt is technically "better."

I remember first seeing that Jay Leno performance and thinking wtf? I look back on it now, and it's actually decent compared to Reading + Leeds in 2014. That's how bad Tom had got. His guitar tone during 2009 was still pretty good I thought, needed more balls to it though. I'd probably also take Tom over Matt but that's because no matter how bad Tom can be, he still suits a lot of the songs like Feeling This IMO. I'd also take that 2009 live version of Tom over anything today too. Just wish he'd have the commitment of Skiba.

Would also really help if the mixing for some of the live songs wasn't so bad. Haven't really seen any videos with decent mixes of blink whilst with Skiba.

29 minutes ago, Blink182acti0n said:

I thought 2003-2004 was Tom started to get sloppy. Though they were playing their songs very fast too. But his singing started to slide then. We don't need to whisper is the last album with toms old voice style, but with added ooooos and yodeling.

Yeah, agreed. I loved the sloppy factor of blink back then though, worked well with the punk rock sound. One of the benefits of not using backing tracks. I hate that they use backing tracks now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Yeah, agreed. I loved the sloppy factor of blink back then though, worked well with the punk rock sound. One of the benefits of not using backing tracks. I hate that they use backing tracks now.

I'd kill to see 2003 blink. Fast is the only way they should play and using backing tracks really loses spontaneity and is, in my book, a step in the wrong direction.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

I'd kill to see 2003 blink. Fast is the only way they should play and using backing tracks really loses spontaneity and is, in my book, a step in the wrong direction.

Back in 2004, I had the option of seeing blink-182 live or going to watch some WWE SmackDown show. I was 11 and although I loved blink, at the time I loved WWE. Went to see one of the WWE shows in 2005, and although blink had split up by then, I would've seen them in late 2004 when they were in UK. Kind of regret not seeing blink around then, but then again I'm glad to have seen Eddie Guerrero before his death later on that year. Eventually saw blink for the first time in 2012 though!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Back in 2004, I had the option of seeing blink-182 live or going to watch some WWE SmackDown show. I was 11 and although I loved blink, at the time I loved WWE. Went to see one of the WWE shows in 2005, and although blink had split up by then, I would've seen them in late 2004 when they were in UK. Kind of regret not seeing blink around then, but then again I'm glad to have seen Eddie Guerrero before his death later on that year. Eventually saw blink for the first time in 2012 though!

Same story, only my parents heard Shut Up and maybe Happy Holidays on one of my cds (plus they caught my little sister watching WMAA video) so blink was a no-go my freshman year.

Can't remember if i saw Eddie in 2002, I think it was.  It waa a raw performance. RIP. I was a hardy boyz, Mick Foley, undertaker, rock fan. Austin was heel if memory serves me correct when I went to a live performance. Didn't wrestle but taunted kurt angle after a match. Ahh, middle school. Horrible days, but  it was the year I fell in love with film and comic books.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blink182acti0n said:

When I saw blink at the house of blues Chicago  in 03' on that dolla bill tour (more like 80 dollars on eBay) that was probably one of the best shows I've been too. Played fast, lots of energy and I thought I was going to die by getting smashed with all the hot sweaty bodies. 

Damn. I was still 4 years away from moving to Chicago...

Super jealous. 

On 11/08/2017 at 0:02 PM, Nosferatu said:

Would also really help if the mixing for some of the live songs wasn't so bad. Haven't really seen any videos with decent mixes of blink whilst with Skiba.

When I saw blink live last month, the mix was like in all the YouTube videos, you could hear nothing but bass. The only time I could hear Skiba's guitar was during the intros for songs with no bass. I've never heard the intro for Anthem butchered so badly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

The mixing for this show is terrible, it's like they made some muffled EQ sound, added some fuzz effect on the guitar and made it really low in the mix or something. It's like this often on the live videos with Skiba too.

I hate this show because the backing tracks are so fucking obvious in spots. Why are they turned up so loud? I'm convinced that's why Tom sounded so good during the untitled shows. His studio vocals are being played on the higher tracks.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2017 at 6:34 PM, Boring.........Alright said:

I hate this show because the backing tracks are so fucking obvious in spots. Why are they turned up so loud? I'm convinced that's why Tom sounded so good during the untitled shows. His studio vocals are being played on the higher tracks.

Not sure why, just terrible mixing haha. It's at its worst on I'm Lost Without You. His voice is so different to what it was back then. That's the song I also hear that AVA voice from WDNTW. Never heard such a contrast in a voice from the same singer. Billie Joe from Green Day has often sounded the same throughout his whole career I'm sure.

21 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

I'm 90% sure it was the first reunion tour or perhaps before, as I remember during Down it was apparent.

Yeah, the backing tracks started off with the very first tour. Think I first noticed it in Stockholm Syndrome after the first verse, could hear the pianos. Back in 03-04, the only synths, pianos or electronics they ever had on a live show was if the song had interlude intros or whatever, like Stockholm or Asthenia. Once the actual songs kicked in, they'd just play fast as hell.

Their live shows was literally stripped down to just guitar, bass and drums. Literally sounded like a hardcore punk band from the 80's at times. Saying that, the show at that teen choice awards in 2004 had backing tracks for Down and it sounded great.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Not sure why, just terrible mixing haha. It's at its worst on I'm Lost Without You. His voice is so different to what it was back then. That's the song I also hear that AVA voice from WDNTW. Never heard such a contrast in a voice from the same singer. Billie Joe from Green Day has often sounded the same throughout his whole career I'm sure.

Yeah, the backing tracks started off with the very first tour. Think I first noticed it in Stockholm Syndrome after the first verse, could hear the pianos. Back in 03-04, the only synths, pianos or electronics they ever had on a live show was if the song had interlude intros or whatever, like Stockholm or Asthenia. Once the actual songs kicked in, they'd just play fast as hell.

Their live shows was literally stripped down to just guitar, bass and drums. Literally sounded like a hardcore punk band from the 80's at times. Saying that, the show at that teen choice awards in 2004 had backing tracks for Down and it sounded great.

This was a nice combination of the 2 styles, backing while still playing fast. I dunno. This brought back memories for me haha

• Like 1