The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Didn't a guy on here used to be in this band before Feldmann took the band over? They had that single with the baloons that was cringy. Their second single came out yesterday and it's getting a lot of hate online for the lyrical content. Band will take a fast track to nowhere now probably. I find it funny though because blink would write a song just as bad as this in the late 90s about an ex. I guess it's not the 90s anymore though.

4 hours ago, NotNow said:

Didn't a guy on here used to be in this band before Feldmann took the band over? They had that single with the baloons that was cringy. Their second single came out yesterday and it's getting a lot of hate online for the lyrical content. Band will take a fast track to nowhere now probably. I find it funny though because blink would write a song just as bad as this in the late 90s about an ex. I guess it's not the 90s anymore though.

If I remember correctly it was a friend from a member of this board.

I like pop punk music and the two songs I have heard so far from the band arn't bad. Much better than the old stuff they did.

Btw.: Lol to people hating that song for the lyrics. It's a break up song and deals with stuff you go through after a girl cheated on you  Has been done a lot in the past. People and their "political correctness" can fuck themselves 

BTW.: The problem I have with Feldy Blink is that I know that they are capable of so much more but settle for mediocre repetitive shit. This band is ok but Blink could play in a different league  

This is just out of curiosity cause there's not much going on, what age range did you guys consider pop punk to be your favorite genre of music? And if you still do, how long have you loved it?

I got into it when I was pretty much a little kid haha around 1998, through my neighbor's CDs. Next few years I loved stuff like Green Day, Blink, Lagwagon, MxPx, Goldfinger, Ten Foot Pole, Sum 41, NFG, Rancid, NOFX. Got into emo-punk stuff too like Jimmy Eat World, Saves The Day, Get Up Kids, Motion City, some Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard. Blink was and will always be far and away my favorite in the "punk-ish" genre.

It kinda worked out perfectly that they broke up in 05 because by that point pop punk shifted into a different vibe that I never liked. And I was going way more into that early/mid 00s indie (Bright Eyes, Death Cab, Cursive, The Good Life, Rilo Kiley, The Shins)

Nowadays I never listen to any pop punk from between like 2004-2014 or so haha but there are suddenly TONS of great new bands in the pop/emo/punk genre who grew up on the same stuff I did, (Modern Baseball, Pup, Sorority Noise, Fidlar, Wavves). It's pretty awesome in my opinion that the genre kinda cycled through the more glossy stylized phase and is back to just normal dudes with guitars and shit. 

12-18ish was the peak for me, with all the Blink/Sum 41/Green Day/Simple Plan era, the end of that I started getting more into Linkin Park/Incubus/The Used/AVA/etc. In college I was more into rap/metal. Blink was always my favorite though, never kept up with any of those bands but was always on top of anything Tom/Mark/Travis put out.

5 hours ago, Ghent said:

This is my favorite non-blink Mark featured song in awhile. Really reminds me of what I loved growing up

That whole album shits all over both California albums. It's amazing how great of an album Feldmann can do when he's not having Mark "writersblock" Hoppus screwing up every god damn song. 

I'm pretty sure Mark had everything served on a plate with this song though and only had to write the lyrics to his parts. Amazing song from an amazing record nevertheless.

8 minutes ago, Since88 said:

That whole album shits all over both California albums. It's amazing how great of an album Feldmann can do when he's not having Mark "writersblock" Hoppus screwing up every god damn song. 

I'm pretty sure Mark had everything served on a plate with this song though and only had to write the lyrics to his parts. Amazing song from an amazing record nevertheless.

But wait, I thought Feldy wrote all of Cali and Skiba/Mark were just told what to do?

Get your story straight!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Champ182 said:

This is just out of curiosity cause there's not much going on, what age range did you guys consider pop punk to be your favorite genre of music? And if you still do, how long have you loved it?

i'm not sure i ever considered it my absolute favorite genre of music, but i listened to it nonstop from pretty much 14-20. back then, i was really into blink, motion city, fall out boy, and panic at the disco heavily -- my teenage years were the late 00s, so i didn't get too heavy into the sum 41/good charlotte era of the genre. i still love putting on folie a deux by FOB once or twice a year but PATD has almost fallen off completely for me. i still can put on motion city or blink (obviously) and it's like background music at this point... i still know every word, every harmony, every little thing about that music.

all that said, like champ mentioned, i still listen to a TON of music that's technically pop punk, but not super glossy like blink, bands like turnover, best coast, wavves, etc

• Like 1

Think your confusing him with the others.

I got into blink and pop punk in 98, 99 so I was about 9 - 10 years old, loved strictly pop punky stuff until I was like 14 but got into a lot of other artists then on. I basically can't stand most pop punk bands these days.

• Like 3

I listen to the generic pop punk. I'm listening to everything though, a good song is a good song. That E.T track by Katy Perry goes on repeat in the car right now haha, so damn catchy.

Got into blink when they hit big time with All The Small Things back in the MTV days. Bought the single, aah - those days.. I was a big fan och Backstreet Boys back then (and still is) before I got in to blink.