The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

19 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

two of their worst songs. i definitely would not point to those. ;)

I would not disagree. But those are their go to power chords.  I love Green Day though, on occasion.  Nimrod/Dookie got me into pop punk I wanna say, International Superhits was my first CD purchase.

It's always interesting to see others opinions, since I find them extremely repetitive as their biggest flaw.

31 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

I would not disagree. But those are their go to power chords.

i'm not sure i take your meaning. i'm not trying to challenge your opinion on green day vs blink, but the rhythm guitar parts for both bands are—overwhelmingly—barre chords. tom will open strum parts (as will billie joe), but if anything green day's catalog is full of open chord playing (relative to blink).

11 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i'm not sure i take your meaning. i'm not trying to challenge your opinion on green day vs blink, but the rhythm guitar parts for both bands are—overwhelmingly—barre chords. tom will open strum parts (as will billie joe), but if anything green day's catalog is full of open chord playing (relative to blink).

The open chord playing is repetitive to me though. I mean man I just threw on Green Day and every song is going to be basic acoustic strumming or the same 3 power chords as half their songs. 

For Tom it's just the variety that makes it more diverse, mainly adding the single note picking.  Then you have simple chords/bars, octaves, palm mutes. It just adds to more in my ears.  The bass carries most the rhythm as well.

I'm taking into account their entire catalogue though, which includes riffy stuff from dude ranch, single note picking stuff on Enema, and octave stuff on Self Titled.

10 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

every song is going to be basic acoustic strumming or the same 3 power chords as half their songs.

i guess i never got past kerplunk + dookie

look, i merely like green day. i  love blink. i've never seen green day live. i've seen blink like 50 something times. in a street fight, i'd pick blink any time.

i still think green day (again, career long game) is the more interesting band.

Id say green day were more talented but blink had more variety and sound changes throughout their career. With green day its the same old stuff just with different production, year in year out. 

• Like 2

I miss when Green Day wasn't attempting to be political ... Middle of the road opinion pieces are annoying. Blink never did that and I appreciated it.

Green Day are ten times the musicians Blink is ... They show it with earlier work (Kerplunk through Warning) live shows. Billie Joe is a better singer, guitarist and songwriter than Tom, Dirnt is a better bass player than Mark. Tre Cool is a dipshit faggot ... Travis has him beat in technical skills but I personally prefer a more straight forward drumming style ... Just me though.

Both bands used to be great ... Different styles but where Blink petered out Green Day burned out ... Green Day has gotten lazy, where Blink got unimaginative.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i guess i never got past kerplunk + dookie

look, i merely like green day. i  love blink. i've never seen green day live. i've seen blink like 50 something times. in a street fight, i'd pick blink any time.

i still think green day (again, career long game) is the more interesting band.

I believe we just have different pop punk/punk rock ears.  To me anything Kerplunk prior is 'old school' sounding and sort of blurs together.  Anything Dude Ranch (favorite album tho) prior is 'old school' sounding and blurs together for me.  While that was your more modern or new sound.  When I'm analyzing either band, I'm weighing Dookie - American Idiot, EOTS - Self Titled kind of Neighborhoods as well.

In that sense, the creativity/range of style is just far more diverse with Blink for me.   I enjoy both bands though and think they're both infinitely creative for what they brought as a whole new genre of itself or era.

12 hours ago, Sebastián said:

They don't have the same chords/progression. In the chorus in "Adam's song" (which is in C), the fourth chord is F - the sub-dominant IV degree of the key. In the chorus in "Violence" (which is in B), the fourth chord is F#* - the dominant V degree of the key. But yeah, until those last chords, the progression is the same.

(* well, they play A#, but that note is the major 3rd of F#, so I'm assuming they originally wrote the song with the F# in mind)

thank you for pointing this out. i remembered in my head that the fourth chord was different!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nshesaid said:

I believe we just have different pop punk/punk rock ears.

In that sense, the creativity/range of style is just far more diverse with Blink for me. 

sounds like it. for me, everything after insomniac blends together into bland mush. and as for blink, i think untitled is their absolute worst record.

diversity / range are only one kind of creativity. another is consistency. it would seem i prefer consistency. i don't want hip hop beats and interludes and sampling and ballads and acoustic overlays on my punk album. i'm the kind of person who wants to eat a meal where the peas and the potatoes and the meat are all separate and don't touch each other. if i want hip hop beats, i put on that kind of album from that kind of artist. if i want ballads or acoustic, i'll put on that kind of artist.

i like to listen to a very wide array of styles and genres. i just don't like it when they mix.

15 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

sounds like it. for me, everything after insomniac blends together into bland mush. and as for blink, i think untitled is their absolute worst record.

diversity / range are only one kind of creativity. another is consistency. it would seem i prefer consistency. i don't want hip hop beats and interludes and sampling and ballads and acoustic overlays on my punk album. i'm the kind of person who wants to eat a meal where the peas and the potatoes and the meat are all separate and don't touch each other. if i want hip hop beats, i put on that kind of album from that kind of artist. if i want ballads or acoustic, i'll put on that kind of artist.

i like to listen to a very wide array of styles and genres. i just don't like it when they mix.

That seems very strange for a graphic designer.