The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 minute ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Matt plays his guitar 95% perfect, sings the songs like the records, and gets shit on for flubs.

Tom showed up promoting AVA merch and purposely fucked up on songs and danced around the stage like an idiot, drunk out of his mind and only caring about getting a paycheck and it’s totally cool and everyone misses him.

Blink board logic at is finest.

agree. i mean, i’m not happy with skiba fucking up either. and half the time he also seems like he’d rather be elsewhere and looks a little robotic/out of his element onstage. and i think his inclusion in the band is a mistake. but people on this board quickly forget just how bad tom was

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Matt plays his guitar 95% perfect, sings the songs like the records, and gets shit on for flubs.

Tom showed up promoting AVA merch and purposely fucked up on songs and danced around the stage like an idiot, drunk out of his mind and only caring about getting a paycheck and it’s totally cool and everyone misses him.

It’s a different dynamic.

tom: unique personality.  Once an amazing addition to blink who went insane but at times had glimmers of hope. Ego got way too big. Refused to record with blink. 

matt: guitarist for hire who doesn’t really fit in the band and for some reason does not bring any of his uniqueness from ak3 to the group. Essentially adds nothing. Feldman controls him.

Really neither situation is ideal. 

I think people miss sane Tom not the insane one. 

Id still take Matt over Tom in his current state. But the current state of the band is not so good. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

He fucks up intros where he's the only one playing, during simple and iconic songs though. That's what makes it bad. 

And they both suck for different reasons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Uh, yeah ... it was fun!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Speedo said:

Uh, yeah ... it was fun!

People also on this board act like Skiba is “sooooooo much different live with alk3!”

no...he’s not. He pretty much just stands there in one spot and plays the songs. He’s just a different guy. 

2 hours ago, Kvothe said:

He fucks up intros where he's the only one playing, during simple and iconic songs though. That's what makes it bad. 

And they both suck for different reasons. 

Tom was too lazy to even attempt to play certain riffs to the point that he dumbed them down. Also let chords ring out rather than palm muting/strumming.  

Matt’s stage presence sucks most of the time, but his guitar and vocal work is way more solid than post reunion Tom imo.

On 3/17/2018 at 4:14 AM, Zoltan said:

why don't you change the forum engine to a free one? $130 (or more) per month for an invasion subscription is a lot, and i don't think many extra features come with this price.

The cost of the forum software itself is actually only $25 every 6 months, so $50 per year. This covers all updates and some in-built spam filtering, the forums will continue to function without these features however from a security perspective it's pretty important we keep everything up to date. The biggest cost comes from hosting the server itself, we get quite a lot of traffic per day and the forums simply wouldn't function properly on a shared web hosting package like you can pick up for $100 a year from various web hosts.

• Like 1

I've said it before, but we didn't forget how bad Tom was. We still prefer it to Matt.

But I'm not gonna be a Matt hater. I would way rather have Tom back, even at his worst, but I like Matt. I don't think any of the problems I have with current blink are Matt's fault, aside from him messing up really easy guitar riffs all the time at shows, which I think is kind of lame but doesn't bother me that much (I mean, I miss Tom, which shows that my standards aren't very high). I wish Matt had a way bigger influence and a bigger presence in the band honestly. I really want Matt to shine on the next record and in this next era of blink-182.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Well, supposedly, when you REPLACE something is to get something much better, right?

• Like 1

I think they're both pretty bad in different ways, Tom is a headcase that sees blink as a cash cow but is the better guitarist of the two, he is sloppy as fuck though and can barely hold a tune when singing these days. Matt is a medicore guitarist that struggles to play anything that isn't chords/octaves (he can't even alternate pick when playing lead most of the time) - he tries but really does struggle, this whole idea he is a good singer live is a bit farfetched too, yeah he's better than Tom but he's still pretty bad a lot of the time. Fully appreciate it must be difficult singing songs you didn't write though so he gets a bit of a pass for that. 

Sometimes I think it would have been better if it just ended for good back in 2005. I'm hopeful for the next album but not too expectant - I just hope they take their time with it and fine tune it like they did with Untitled but I'm not sure that is JFs style.

• Like 1

Matt plays a lot better with Alk3 but that's always going to be the case, he wrote the songs.

his live singing has been off for years really so it's no difference between the two. He's not a slurring mess like Tom but for a lot of blink stuff he's just tunelessly shouting. HAG was painful in that regard, Mark was actually singing well for once and Matts noteless yelling just sounded daft at the end of every line. 

I still think it's shocking that you can land the gig of playing in one of the biggest punk bands around for 3 years and still fail to learn the words or the guitar riffs though. I hated how Tom butchered live performances, didn't care, and promoted AVA. it was gross. but if someone was going to mistreat blink or half ass it, it kind of makes more sense for it to be a founding member who wrote the songs in the first place.

Matt was offered a chance at a lot of money for playing for practically an hour on stage on occasion. He clearly didn't bring any songwriting to the California process, so essentially he's a guitarist and vocalist for hire... and it doesn't even seem he cares enough to put much effort into it. 

Since his switch to blink I've lost a lot of respect for Matt. I don't blame him for my dislike of California (I'm not convinced he had much of anything to do with it) but he blew off alkaline trio to get paid to do a crap job with blink. and that's bull, on both sides. 

He's still better than Tom live, but not in a way we should be happy or impressed by. I think people are giving him easy passes because Tom was just so horrifically bad we'll take anything at this point. 

TLDR #justbitteralk3isdead

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Kay said:

Matt plays a lot better with Alk3 but that's always going to be the case, he wrote the songs.

his live singing has been off for years really so it's no difference between the two. He's not a slurring mess like Tom but for a lot of blink stuff he's just tunelessly shouting. HAG was painful in that regard, Mark was actually singing well for once and Matts noteless yelling just sounded daft at the end of every line. 

I still think it's shocking that you can land the gig of playing in one of the biggest punk bands around for 3 years and still fail to learn the words or the guitar riffs though. I hated how Tom butchered live performances, didn't care, and promoted AVA. it was gross. but if someone was going to mistreat blink or half ass it, it kind of makes more sense for it to be a founding member who wrote the songs in the first place.

Matt was offered a chance at a lot of money for playing for practically an hour on stage on occasion. He clearly didn't bring any songwriting to the California process, so essentially he's a guitarist and vocalist for hire... and it doesn't even seem he cares enough to put much effort into it. 

Since his switch to blink I've lost a lot of respect for Matt. I don't blame him for my dislike of California (I'm not convinced he had much of anything to do with it) but he blew off alkaline trio to get paid to do a crap job with blink. and that's bull, on both sides. 

He's still better than Tom live, but not in a way we should be happy or impressed by. I think people are giving him easy passes because Tom was just so horrifically bad we'll take anything at this point. 

TLDR #justbitteralk3isdead

What are the other guys in Alkaline Trio doing? 

I highly doubt they're well off enough just to sit on their arses for 2-3 years doing nothing...?

8 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

It is inexcusable that Matt still needs a lyric monitor 3 years in. That is embarrassing.

That doesn't bother me that much to be honest, yeah he should know them by now but if it gives him a prompt when he needs it then that works for me. I'm sure he isn't looking at it all the time (I didn't even know he used one until this thread tbh)

It's the shite guitar playing and unimaginative riffs in the band since he joined that annoys me more. 

• Like 2

The problem with Matt is that he (well, they) is trying TOOOOO hard to be someone he's not. That's how it looks to my eyes. Playing in a style of music that, obviously and revisinting all his back catalog, is not his natural type of music, so to say.

Because yeah, people tend to clasify AK3 as punkpop and try to make ressemblances with blink using that argument, but that's bullshit. They might have some punkpop flavour, sure (more like pop in general, but well, who cares?), and the thing is that they -AK3- sound nothing like blink, or similar bands. So, when you put a guy with a strong song writing style, and just cut it off in order to make an album which appeals to the 'kids' who love punkpop nowadays, then you get a Frankenstein. They were strongly trying to fit into the modern punkpop scene. That's why Feldmann happened. Which hey, I can understand and respect, but to each its own.

Matt in AK3, not being perfect at all, is awesome compared to what he's delivering in blink, like thousands of light years away. Also, in every other project you can see him doing shit in which he has provided his personal touch, and you have an interesting palette of sounds as a showcase for him. AK3 and blink, in terms of stage pressence, attitude, sound and all, are two really different worlds. So, to me, trying that hard to fit Matt into blink's dynamics is a total challenge and we can't deny he has tryed to fit. Sometimes with more succes than others. I'm not saying they HAVE to change to incorporate Matt, I'm saying that, maybe, Matt, in the end, it's not the best fit.

But yeah, as lots of you pointed out, I first thought Matt was the PERFECT fit with blink, thinking that they could try to follow their late path in terms of sound and incorporate Matt's influence to that, with the advantage of not having Tom in full alienated mode with them. But it turned out just the opposite, and it all results in an amazing trying-too-hard-parade that ends up showing a joke-version of themselves, controlled in studio by Feldmann.

Yeah, sure they have been kind of relevant again, Grammy nomination, bells and happy days. Sure they have earned tons of money with Cali cycle, but for me they have lost tons of interest and personality. And, personally, I'm just being as critical as I've been with other bands I've loved through the years, but that have become a total trainwreck too.

For those who are still doubting about Matt being amazing live and totally normal looking, I suggest you to watch this performances as many times as needed:

• Like 2