The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

I'd argue he probably resents blink 182 for being massively successful while he was relegated to ska punk has been status by 2001. The record is probably an endorsement of how poorly he views the band and their work. "Oh yeah, ATST is a bunch of nananananas, etc. let's just do that ad nauseum." 

Seriously the band sounds like a parody of itself without any of the winning formula on California. It just proves what some marketing can do.

10 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I'd argue he probably resents blink 182 for being massively successful while he was relegated to ska punk has been status by 2001. The record is probably an endorsement of how poorly he views the band and their work. "Oh yeah, ATST is a bunch of nananananas, etc. let's just do that ad nauseum." 

Seriously the band sounds like a parody of itself without any of the winning formula on California. It just proves what some marketing can do.

The paranoid side of me thought this a few times.. Like the nanas and whoas are so excessive.. sometimes it feels like he purposely infiltrated blink out of a long time envy.  

Probably just wanted to do a good job and re-establish some older sound and is simply just limited in what he brings, but the way he scraped all 30 songs just seems suspicious or selfish at the least.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

The paranoid side of me thought this a few times.. Like the nanas and whoas are so excessive.. sometimes it feels like he purposely infiltrated blink out of a long time envy.  

Probably just wanted to do a good job and re-establish some older sound and is simply just limited in what he brings, but the way he scraped all 30 songs just seems suspicious or selfish at the least.

I'd love to hear what those 30 songs sound like. The verses of Hey I'm Sorry sound fantastic, then we all know what happened to that song with the Feldman touch. All the guy cares about is making sure albums are a hit. Hell, even Take Off has a more punk attitude than California. The label felt Take Off wasn't radio friendly enough, so Mark and Tom wrote The Rock Show and First Date, rather than scrap the whole album and try make it full of hits. If California adopted a similar approach, it could've just been Bored to Death & She's Out of Her Mind as the hit singles, then the rest of the album could've had some of those 30 songs Mark & Skiba wrote. I would've been fine with that.

Of course it wouldn't have been perfect. They were new to each other, so it's gonna sound like a band in transition. That's how I feel about Take Off. It has that Enema sound, but it also sounds like it's trying to be way more, except that it can't because there's restraint going on due to pressure from record labels and shit like that.

As for this upcoming blink album, I just have a bad feeling about it. They talk about wanting to be experimental but with Feldman as the producer, that's not gonna happen. Instead, I've got a feeling that the album will have a lot of California elements but at the same time, trying to be more because Feldman will restrain it. Feldman already had an interview some point last year about how it's bad to be experimental or something, meanwhile both Mark & Travis have mentioned being experimental. It's contradicting. My gut just tells me that Feldman will restrain all of that, and although it's a long shot, hopefully he just lets blink do whatever the way Jerry Finn used to.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I'd love to hear what those 30 songs sound like. The verses of Hey I'm Sorry sound fantastic, then we all know what happened to that song with the Feldman touch. All the guy cares about is making sure albums are a hit. Hell, even Take Off has a more punk attitude than California. The label felt Take Off wasn't radio friendly enough, so Mark and Tom wrote The Rock Show and First Date, rather than scrap the whole album and try make it full of hits. If California adopted a similar approach, it could've just been Bored to Death & She's Out of Her Mind as the hit singles, then the rest of the album could've had some of those 30 songs Mark & Skiba wrote. I would've been fine with that.

yeah, they could have done that, but they didn't. that's why i think from the beginning that they had to meet with strict label expectations (or the marketing team thought that only this will be sellable). they had to play safe: no matt-only songs, sugarcoated sound was a must, just like simple lyrics, very simple guitar riffs and standard song structures.

hopefully with the next album they drop these limitations.

• Like 1

On 23/3/2018 at 5:43 PM, Olidamus said:

THe bigger question is does anyone thing Tom will ever hit bottom? Like see all this shit just blow up in his face? Or will he be able to live the rest of his life as a delusional morons pissing away hordes of money on stuff that doesn't sell?

I think at a certain point the chickens have to come to roost. But its been 14 years now. Maybe not.

I said it a few months ago. The main advantage Tom has is that he, basically, has TONS of money to play with. If he had a salary as the majority of us have, reality would have its stroke on his face a few years ago.

5 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

Probably.

Feldmann has always been a Jerry Finn wannabe. Totally. He tryed really hard to get that sound, but he neves was able able to achieve that quality and versatility Finn achieved. The guy was special, for sure. He knew his shit really well.

Instead, Feldmann butchers everything he touches, and he's lucky enough to get the sound the radios want. So, well...

I think it'll be worse for the simple fact California sold well and they are going to be another couple years older.

It also felt like Mark's one last hurrah against Tom. Best bass lines he's had, his vocal parts were strong, lyrics he was thinking up like hey I'm sorry were good before Feldy butchered.

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

So now the theory here is that Feldmann purposely sabotaged blink because he was jealous of their success? LOL

You guys are cute

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of Feldman, but even I think that's pushing it haha. He's always had good things to say about blink. He was pretty much living the dream lifestyle before producing blink. Still gets to record his style of music with Goldfinger. Nothing to be jealous of. One good thing about him is that he's not pissing people off by doing what he wants. Can't say the same with Tom who pretty much used blink for money to fund his other projects and made a shit load of empty promises to the fans as well as Mark & Travis.

Feldman seems to enjoy everything he's part of. He definitely had the time of his life recording with blink. Made a good friend in Travis. Honest dude. Can't fault him for that. Feldman genuinely does all this because he loves it, which I find odd considering that whenever he produces, the albums seem like they're written to be commercial hits. The dude must just be a huge fan of pop punk music and will do whatever it takes to make pop punk bands stick to that genre or something.

Plus California was pretty successful anyway. So he didn't sabotage them. Bored to Death is the biggest blink hit since I Miss You & Feeling This, and the album sold more records than Green Day's most recent album, who are supposed to be bigger than blink. He did exactly what he's good at, helping bands to record albums written to be hits. If anything, he only helped blink.

• Like 1

Holy shit, Blink's California almost doubled Green Day's Revolution Radio in sales (186,000 vs. 95,000)? I would've guessed it'd go the other way around. For a band comprised of 40+ year old guys (one being a new member, no less) in today's music market where alternative/rock has taken a backseat, selling 186,000 records first week is no small feat. Whether you liked California musically or not, at the very least the album put them "back on the map" and was a commercially successful comeback album. People still love themselves some blink-182, apparently. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, superpie said:

Holy shit, Blink's California almost doubled Green Day's Revolution Radio in sales (186,000 vs. 95,000)? I would've guessed it'd go the other way around. For a band comprised of 40+ year old guys (one being a new member, no less) in today's music market where alternative/rock has taken a backseat, selling 186,000 records first week is no small feat. Whether you liked California musically or not, at the very least the album put them "back on the map" and was a commercially successful comeback album. People still love themselves some blink-182, apparently. 

Last I heard California has outsold Neighborhoods already. Pretty amazing accomplishment considering how much raw hype was behind new blink music after the reunion. And then factor in that they lost their lead singer/main songwriter... 

A total homerun scenario. Mark and Travis deserved it after all the shit they went through

• Like 2

tbf most of mainstream music listeners thought California was the comeback reunion, because of the actual radio-play popularity that Bored to Death got in comparison to Neighborhoods. 

I vividly remember people telling me how much they were stoked on "blink making a come back" with my casual friends versus their ACTUAL comeback in 2009 - and the reason for that is the radio play. Up All Night was a fucking awful radio-tune (which tbf is fine by me - I prefer Neighborhoods over California tenfold).

3 minutes ago, Mau5 said:

tbf most of mainstream music listeners thought California was the comeback reunion, because of the actual radio-play popularity that Bored to Death got in comparison to Neighborhoods. 

I vividly remember people telling me how much they were stoked on "blink making a come back" with my casual friends versus their ACTUAL comeback in 2009 - and the reason for that is the radio play. Up All Night was a fucking awful radio-tune (which tbf is fine by me - I prefer Neighborhoods over California tenfold).

yeah, Up All Night is a decent enough song on its own, but it's not really "7 year hiatus comeback single" material imo. I think After Midnight would've had much more success in that spot and drawn more listeners to the album. What a jam that song is.

Also agree on that last bit, Neighborhoods > Cali Standard (not quite tenfold though, lol)

• Like 3