The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

they're eligible in 2019 -- 25 years past their first major release. it's kinda funny, cause it presents a question then, since they're counting 1994. for years, cheshire cat counted the wrong release date on most sites... it was released in '95, not '94. so really, blink shouldn't be eligible until 2020. but buddha was released in '94, so i suppose they could count that, since it's been distributed as a major release.

in terms of the blink influence thing, ATST should get them in IMO. has there ever been a song so easy to inspire millions of kids to pick up a guitar? growing up, every kid i knew that had a guitar knew that song. it's THE beginner song. which really counts for something

• Like 1

I think they'll get in when the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame starts to have the next generation of people running it. Blink didn't have respect of the "rock" community around 99-2005 the way Green Day or Foo Fighters did. This is something along the lines of what Champ said, but kids back then are now musicians and are in bands today. Blink's influence on music is HUGE in my opinion. Blink today are now the "rock" band that a lot of kids or young adults think of.

I was seeing this girl last summer who thought blink's songs like Easy Target & Stockholm Syndrome are too heavy and used it as a reasoning for not liking blink. She was a fan of R&B music. She was 20 and obviously that's just one person, but it kinda shows how blink are viewed from people of that age or near.

But the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is still ran by stuck up old men that think blink are some lame boy band with guitars, when they're not. Even with the California album, it's pushing it saying they're a boy band with guitars. Once they retire, blink will get that recognition. I agree with Ghent and Nasa, it'll take a while but they should definitely get in.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, boxelder said:

in terms of the blink influence thing, ATST should get them in IMO. has there ever been a song so easy to inspire millions of kids to pick up a guitar? growing up, every kid i knew that had a guitar knew that song. it's THE beginner song. which really counts for something

Haha it reminds me of what people used to say about the Velvet Underground - Not a lot of people listened to them at the time, but everyone who did started their own band. It's not exactly the same as Blink since they were hugely popular, but they inspired almost all of my friends to at least TRY to learn guitar. Seems like everybody learned Dammit and Adam's Song, and then ATST when we all moved up to playing power chords haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boxelder said:

they're eligible in 2019 -- 25 years past their first major release. it's kinda funny, cause it presents a question then, since they're counting 1994. for years, cheshire cat counted the wrong release date on most sites... it was released in '95, not '94. so really, blink shouldn't be eligible until 2020. but buddha was released in '94, so i suppose they could count that, since it's been distributed as a major release.

I still think it's a 1994 release in my head. I can't believe so many sites were wrong. wasn't blink's own site wrong then?

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

I still think it's a 1994 release in my head. I can't believe so many sites were wrong. wasn't blink's own site wrong then?

blink's site, as far as i can tell, counted the release date of when it was officially re-released by universal (i guess they bought it from cargo, or bought cargo itself, i can't remember), but that was in 1998. a lot of sites still say 1994, unfortunately, continuing the confusion. i think it was originally set to be released in late 1994, honestly, and i think davey once said they held it off for a few months until scott moved back officially to san diego. that's why all copies bear a 1994 copyright date, and why cool advance copies exist:

8189376_orig.jpg?156

• Like 1

4 hours ago, boxelder said:

i think davey once said they held it off for a few months until scott moved back officially to san diego.

actually, as far as i know, it was a production delay at cargo. the tapes and CDs were pressed but the sleeves were not ready. so much so that cargo noted the final february 17 release date by hand on the CC promo sheet:

image.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Zoltan said:

the advanced cassettes were released in september/october of 1994, then the first official cd+cassette release was on february 17, 1995.

any source for that? i thought cheshire itself was recorded in september or so

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 5:43 AM, Zoltan said:

the advanced cassettes were released in september/october of 1994.

nope. cheshire wasn't even done being recorded then. advanced cassettes were floated around by tom in december / january.

edit: i have confirmation from jeff forrest that the last cheshire cat mixing sessions at doubletime were oct 1 and 2, 1994.

Pick Matt: omgz Matt isn't even a real member he's a live musician for hire this is just wrong

Pick Tom: omgz Tom isn't even in the band anymore and he still gets chosen over Matt. wow Matt sucks!

50 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

nbju3is77s711.jpg

Not into Funkos, but no Tom/Matt is weird, pick 1 at least lol.

I need these. But I agree, there should be three, whether it's Matt or Tom, I don't care. Having only 2/3 of the band is odd.

Just saw that these are coming out in September! First time I've ever really wanted Funko Pops.

• Like 1

I've always thought those things were creepy af. 

15 hours ago, Ghent said:

Pick Matt: omgz Matt isn't even a real member he's a live musician for hire this is just wrong

Pick Tom: omgz Tom isn't even in the band anymore and he still gets chosen over Matt. wow Matt sucks!

Exactly, sad but true. 

Dunno if it's been posted, but Mark has a "best songs" playlist on spotify dating back from awhile ago, but hasn't put anything on it since March. There's like 600+ songs. He added Circle Jerk Pit by Tom Delonge this week to it. 

• Haha 1
  • Wow 6