The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

I liked the verse with Matt, even though it’s technically a rip off of what Mark did with that Not All Dogs... song. There’s a part in the song where Mark’s voice gets more aggressive than usual and it sounds awesome but once again it’s wasted potential. The hook melody or whatever Steve Aoki is doing is so happy sounding and contrasts with the “why are we so broken?????” lyrics. I expected it to be ten times worse but it’s still a polished shit. 

I always thought it was Travis that would be behind this idea, but I have to argue Mark is also a part of this to try and stay relevant. Sure you can have fun with the Steve guy he seems fun but man this looks so awkward with the band’s history. I would feel bad for Matt considering how much he doesn’t fit in this but at this point I don’t think he even cares anymore.

4 minutes ago, 4.40 said:

I liked the verse with Matt, even though it’s technically a rip off of what Mark did with that dog song. There’s a part in the song where Mark’s voice gets more aggressive than usual and it sounds awesome but once again it’s wasted potential. The hook melody or whatever Steve Aoki is doing is so happy sounding and contrasts with the “why are we so broken?????” lyrics. I expected it to be ten times worse but it’s still a polished shit. 

I always thought it was Travis that would be behind this idea, but I have to argue Mark is also a part of this to try and stay hip. Sure you can have fun with the Steve guy he seems fun but man this looks so awkward with the band’s history. I would feel bad for Matt thinking he’s hating this right now but at this point I don’t think he even cares anymore.

Travis just wants to drum as much as possible and collab with friends irregardless of the music.

Mark is an absolute cringer who is so worried about fading into irrelevance that he will do absolutely anything that keeps him and blink in the public eye, irregardless of the integrity of the band.

Matt just doesn't give a shit and is a hired gun, he'd never do this in a million years off his own back but he likes the money so just keeps his head down, does what Mark tells him and watch the $ roll in. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Matt just doesn't give a shit and is a hired gun, he'd never do this in a million years off his own back but he likes the money so just keeps his head down, does what Mark tells him and watch the $ roll in. 

Business-wise, that’s a smart tactic. At this point, he probably doesn’t have much creative control (which I think he even admitted to a fan when they asked about Goodbye Fire Island not being a blink song), so I guess he can just add a few lines and what not and then get his paycheck.

Sad to see it all happening again like with Tom but when you get a decent paycheck but not much creative control, what else are you going to do?

giphy.gif

Hahaha I'll probably get crushed for this but I don't mind it. I don't generally like this style of music and I probably won't ever seek this out to listen to again, but it was pretty much a best case scenario for a Blink/EDM collaboration. The melodies work well, the vocal tradeoffs make sense and sound good, it definitely didn't put me in shock with its shittiness the way a lot of Cali songs did. I think they came out of this looking fine and I wouldn't be surprised if it became a decent success (do Steve Aoki songs get on the radio at all or is he just trying to make music for clubs?)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ...Dan... said:

the pre chorus build up feels like it's going somewhere but then it's like someone sticking a pin in a balloon when the drop happens. 

This is probably the best description possible. 

I feel nothing towards it. I don't hate it, I don't love it. It's just meh. 

going to be in a small minority on this site but i think its great.  its better than anything on deluxe california and is exactly why blink needs to work with different/more current out of the box thinking producers.

fall out boy is more relevant than ever and in my opinion they are the equivalent to a modern day blink (not exactly in style but fame and importance to the scene) and this is essentially what they have done to evolve.  i love it.

• Like 2

It's just whatever, forgettable but doesn't bother you because it's a feature. I still like hearing Mark come in with his signature tone (not Sober, soohm, that Amy shark feature)

Matt does the same thing everytime in every song, no surprise, fuck that guy.

It's strange Mark & Travis experimenting around and doing a weird feature with Aoki feels more blink than anything on California. They really should just do this at this point.

I like the verses. Skiba sounds great. But the song doesn't go anywhere. Can't stand that techno part or whatever. Is Travis even playing drums on that part? But the verses do sound very unique. Blink did this kinda music better on Bottom of the Ocean, which is an awesome song.

Which album do you think Man Overboard would have fit better on?  Enema of the State or TOYPAJ?  I know they were working on it during the Enema days, as a demo of it was found with other Enema demos, but I kinda feel like it overall has a more TOYPAJ vibe, so I'm conflicted.

17 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Which album do you think Man Overboard would have fit better on?  Enema of the State or TOYPAJ?  I know they were working on it during the Enema days, as a demo of it was found with other Enema demos, but I kinda feel like it overall has a more TOYPAJ vibe, so I'm conflicted.

I get the TOYPAJ vibe for sure. it's not light enough for Enema, imo. 

• Like 1

good god guys

nothing ever changed on blink-182 online, haha

so, i like the sound. skiba sounds really great, hoppus has good parts too, especially when his voice become more gravelly. 

anyway - nice to hear something new from them, in spite of the feature.

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

5 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Just listened to it, I wish there was a non-Aoki'd version! Thought Skiba sounded good and Mark screaming was intriguing. Overall a harmless fun feature, cool of Aoki to put them on his album.

So a non Aoki'd Steve Aoki song? 

I want a non blink'd version of Pretty Little Girl with just Yelawolf in it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ...Dan... said:

So a non Aoki'd Steve Aoki song? 

Yeah, people are saying this was originally a Blink DLX song that was scrapped for whatever reason, and then I assume Aoki did his thing to it. This screenshot was from March 2017, a few months before DLX:

2z675h644rw11.jpg

Unless it was already Aoki'd by then, which may have been the case since they could've done it the same time they did BTD... I think underneath the annoying techno are some interesting dynamics, or at least just stuff I'd like to hear without the thumping. 

• Like 1