The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Other highlights from Mark's Princeton Q/A from reddit users who attended (more in 2018 album news thread):

Link to audio: HERE

-Scott Raynor left to "figure things out" and he got a phone call where he had an option if he wanted to stay or quit the band, and he chose to quit

-WMAA was originally called "Peter Pan Complex" but the label didn't want to get sued by Disney - was originally a joke song with the two verses, but Finn/Tom said "we have something here"

-The pain from singing Dammit was so bad that it caused him to quit smoking and learn proper singing technique

-The highest note he can sing in an Ab

-Adam from the Adam's song is a character from the HBO Mr. Men Show, which Mark also said was hilarious. Adam, a character in a sketch, tries to kill himself by jumping in acid. He survives, but his whole body except his head is "like a stick figure". He does something similar to make-a-wish to go on tour with his favorite band. The band doesn't want him to come though, and they write a song called Adam's Song that encourages him to jump back in the acid. Mark said something along the lines of "It's funny, but it's really fucked up".

-Baby Come On is about his wife, written in a period where he was going through some hard times after blink broke up, searching for his identity, and him and his now wife having some difficulty. Sounded kind of like it was driven by the culmination of these things.

-Mark wrote Dammit and it was pretty much done when he brought it to the band (I didn't know this). Also, in general, most blink songs are written primarily by their singer.

-They wrote a song similar to the Macarena, except instead of singing "Hey, Macarena!", singing "Hey, wipe your anus!". This wasn't released because the producer/manager didn't want to "pay royalties to the Macarena people".

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

-They wrote a song similar to the Macarena, except instead of singing "Hey, Macarena!", singing "Hey, wipe your anus!". This wasn't released because the producer/manager didn't want to "pay royalties to the Macarena people".

I've been waiting for this song to leak for about 19 years.

Doesn't this fall under parody?

More after listening:

-We did get push back when signing to a major label around 1997
-We write our best music when we are opposed to each other
-Right now we have the pull, Travis has his ideas, I have my ideas, Matt has his ideas, and then we have producers pulling us in different directions
-Tom had ATST pretty much done
-Untitled was almost called “Our Pet Sounds”
-California: amazing, biggest tour dates we’ve ever played
-Recorded 18 songs with S.C.
-“Travis is the best drummer in the world. So we thought do we want to hire another drummer for S.C. tour? No, I don’t want to play with a different drummer.”
-+44 was me trying to find myself outside of Blink. For the better part of my life I was Mark from Blink-182, and that was taken away from me.
-Adam’s Song: wasn’t happy with gf, was lonely on tour, wasn’t happy at home. Didn’t fit anywhere, wrote a song about being alone all the time. One of last songs written for EOTS, thought it may be too dark for that album.
-Matt’s super cool, down for whatever, no ego, he’s a secret weapon
-Jerry Finn defined what Blink-182 was.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Scott Raynor left to "figure things out" and he got a phone call where he had an option if he wanted to stay or quit the band, and he chose to quit

-WMAA was originally called "Peter Pan Complex" but the label didn't want to get sued by Disney - was originally a joke song with the two verses, but Finn/Tom said "we have something here"

-The pain from singing Dammit was so bad that it caused him to quit smoking and learn proper singing technique

-Mark wrote Dammit and it was pretty much done when he brought it to the band (I didn't know this). Also, in general, most blink songs are written primarily by their singer.

1.) kind of true...

2.) true. didn't know the disney concern though.

3.) true from what mark told me, but he did not manage to quit until summer 1998.

4.) true. also the 'missing string on the guitar' story re: the lead riff.

5.) yup. they used to do this schtick live.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

1.) kind of true...

2.) true. didn't know the disney concern though.

3.) true from what mark told me, but he did not manage to quit until summer 1998.

4.) true. also the 'missing string on the guitar' story re: the lead riff.

5.) yup. they used to do this schtick live.

Thank+you+kind+sir+_ed59160fb32f6eec8e3f

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

@daveyjones

You know what has always bugged the hell out of me? The octave riff in Asthenia is just the octave riff from NUFAN's Soul Mate. Irks me every single time.

Dang, straight rip, but Tom did it very well and the song is way different.

9 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Not sure if it was on this forum or another, but while filming his tv show he briefly had, one of the forum members saw Mark smoking a cig on break. So clearly he didn't quit in 1998. Maybe he's since stopped as this was awhile ago, but quitting, to me, implies never again. Not just for awhile.

13 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

I'm sure the intention was to quit forever, but addictions never completely go away.

Yeah man I've been quitting unsuccessfully on and off for 10 years. No judgement on my end. Just saying that's probably not when he really quit. That's all.

22 hours ago, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

@daveyjones

You know what has always bugged the hell out of me? The octave riff in Asthenia is just the octave riff from NUFAN's Soul Mate. Irks me every single time.

the riff in soulmate is part of an upbeat guitar theme while the asthenia riff has "desperate" overtones. i think it's a perfect example of how a simple riff can be used in different songs and the atmosphere around it is what matters the most. the riff in these two songs sound like it's the polar opposite of itself.

• Like 2

Just now, Zoltan said:

the riff in soulmate is part of an upbeat guitar theme while the asthenia riff has "desperate" overtones. i think it's a perfect example of how a simple riff can be used in different songs and the atmosphere around it is what matters the most. the riff in these two songs sound like it's the polar opposite of itself.

Thank you, Zoltan

9 hours ago, Zoltan said:

this is true. the larger problem is that the intro progression—even down to the bass-only treatment—is a complete retread of anthem part II (except that it resolves by descending a whole step, perhaps to sound "desperate" or perhaps because mark and tom are unimaginative writers. i mean, tom is the guy who thinks a half step up or down is EDGY for pop!)

and anthem part II... is was in and of itself a retread of the outro for lemmings!

21 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

this is true. the larger problem is that the intro progression—even down to the bass-only treatment—is a complete retread of anthem part II (except that it resolves by descending a whole step, perhaps to sound "desperate" or perhaps because mark and tom are unimaginative writers. i mean, tom is the guy who thinks a half step up or down is EDGY for pop!)

and anthem part II... is was in and of itself a retread of the outro for lemmings!

Tom DeLonge unimaginative? The guy who went from Carousel to Enthused to Dumpweed to Stay Together for the Kids to I Feel So to All of This to The Adventure to Breathe to Some Origins of Fire to Ghost on the Dance Floor to All That We Are to Pretty Little Girl to Teenagers & Rituals to Circle Jerk Pit to View From Below to Chasing Shadows? Mark Hoppus the guy who went from M+M's to Josie to Adam's Song to the Rock Show to Here's Your Letter to Weatherman to Kaleidoscope to Fighting the Gravity to Dogs Eating Dogs to Los Angeles to Bottom of the Ocean to Drug? All of these songs are so so different to each other.

You're right that blink sometimes use similar chord progressions, just like every single artist there has ever been in the history of music, but the fact that blink can make similar chord progressions from songs like Anthem Part 2, Lemmings, Asthenia & Ghost on the Dance Floor and have them all sound like completely different songs means they're pretty damn creative to me. Feeling This has the same chord progression as Dammit, Carousel, Aliens Exist, Wishing Well and Bored to Death. All of those songs sound so so different despite that.

Tom & Mark are probably the most creative guys from the punk rock scene. The only other guys who could be on that similar level of creativity are AFI. Bands like Bad Religion, Rancid, Offspring or whatever are the ones that aren't imaginative, writing the same songs over and over. Even when they use different chord progressions, the vibes and styles of them sound the complete same. Boring after one or two albums.

• Like 3