The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

What it boils down to, for me, in my opinion is: more songs means zero/nothing/nada lol to the extent that pointing it out is confusingly misleading in regards to serving a point that goes nowhere.

time periods/album cycles/hiatuses/writing credits/tour schedule/behind the scenes shit all have to be factored in when it comes to this, and that’s valid to bring up when one brings up a statistic regarding something like this. 

Look at it from a business standpoint. Tom immediately upon word getting out made it clear that he did not quit, even thought the article was wrong or misleading and was completely thrown off by the whole situation. He's since changed his wording by saying he did leave,  on his terms which legally keeps him part of Blink because he hasn't departed completely, he's taken a leave of absence. This was no doubt agreed on by Mark and Travis, so that's the conversation that has moved forward since Skiba first stepped in. 

Why in the world would you defend Tom in this situation? Dude took the biggest shit ever on blink starting in 2006 and ending when he got kicked out/quit again. He never committed to the band, he used it to promote his other shit, he didn't take it seriously, and the songs weren't great enough to make it worth it.

Had he stayed in the band they'd probably have one mostly garbage album out that would have dragged on for 4 years just for 3 or 4 good songs that Mark managed to salvage.

I feel like this has gotten blown out of proportion and confusing hahah. I think all @Ry-Bread was doing was pointing out a pretty wild fact. Skiba-182 has released a crazy amount of songs in a short amount of time. Such a crazy amount, in fact, that Blink took 14 years to release the same amount of songs. That's it.

Yeah the songs are lesser quality, yeah Tom dragged his feet like crazy, yeah there were breakups, yeah there were co-writers, all of these things are true. I don't think Ry was trying to argue any of that? 

• Like 2

Regarding Tom in general: Hearing Tom's perspective of the first blink break-up, his response regarding the second fall-out and other things have led me to feel like there's too much we don't know to place all of the blame on Tom li ke that. 

I think that if I was Mark, in regards to BCR, I would've been bummed (He had every right to be) but Tom truly, truly apologized - Even told him he'd never do that again, and in interviews regarding BCR he would downplay it as just this thing he did that wasn't a big deal. I think Mark let that singular thing completely blow up their entire friendship/working relationship.  They were on top of the world, and he couldn't let it go. 

I mean, I recall Mark mentioning that it was Rick's idea to tour the last single and how weird it was that when Tom didn't want to, Rick didn't want to either. But look at it from the perspective of friends talking, and understanding each other.

Tom: I don't know, we've toured two years straight - I miss my family, I need to see my kid, I'm burned out. Touring the album for two years seems fine, we don't have to tour a single. 

Rick: That makes sense, and I see where you're coming from. 

Guys, maybe the tour isn't necessary after all, all things considered.

Just -

There's two sides to every story, and I think if you meet those two somewhere in the middle you get your honest answer. 

From how DED was explained, Tom was the one who pushed that release, and wanted them to get together to work on it together, but Mark and Travis showed up at the end, something neither contested, and even then tension was overwhelming.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Given the history of the band and their inability to get Tom to commit to anything from basically 2012 onward = YES

Why force a guy to do something he doesn't want to? Why not let him do it at his own convenience? 

In my personal opinion Blink releasing 45 songs in 3 years or whatever was too much and didn't make them seem like more of a band BECAUSE so many of them were mostly quick cheap scraps. The first 30 should've been condensed to the 10-12 best songs and a single album at that time and they would've had a way bigger impact (in my opinion).

That doesn't automatically mean Tom being MIA for multiple entire years of his Blink tenure was a better approach though haha or even that they were going for quality over quantity for most of that time. It didn't take them 2 years to release Neighborhoods because they were working so hard on it, it took them 2 years because they were fucking around and NOT working hard on it.

So my main point, as usual, is that Blink has been messy for a very long time hahah they just changed their tactics when they changed the lineup. Hopefully Nine becomes some kind of turning point!

• Like 2

Just now, thongrider said:

Why force a guy to do something he doesn't want to? Why not let him do it at his own convenience? 

That's not the question you should be posing. The fact is, Blink as of now is just as at Mark and Travis's convenience as AVA is to Tom, that's why the point is irrelevant.  Part of being in a band, as Mark has mentioned probably a thousand times, is deciding things together and I don't think in regards to this either side could meet in the middle. I also think the amount of songs Blink has churned out since is partly influenced by wanting to "show" what Tom was preventing, in a manner that is excessive to a certain degree. 

• Like 1

I think if we can say that the band was 50% Tom and 50% Mark (Scott left and Travis wasn't an original member) The two of them seem to have had very different ideas of how the band should continue. I think in that aspect people seem to side with Mark (the band being a full time gig not a side gig) out of selfish reasons. Tom's life is more important than fans wanting constant gratification. Fans aren't entitled to a single song. I think if Mark and Tom didn't have the same vision for the band in 2015, they should've ended it. This band without Tom is nothing (like it would be nothing without Mark). The weird idea that this band needs to exist regardless of what an inevitable member feels is ridiculous. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thongrider said:

I think if we can say that the band was 50% Tom and 50% Mark (Scott left and Travis wasn't an original member) The two of them seem to have had very different ideas of how the band should continue. I think in that aspect people seem to side with Mark (the band being a full time gig not a side gig) out of selfish reasons. Tom's life is more important than fans wanting constant gratification. Fans aren't entitled to a single song. I think if Mark and Tom didn't have the same vision for the band in 2015, they should've ended it. This band without Tom is nothing (like it would be nothing without Mark). The weird idea that this band needs to exist regardless of what an inevitable member feels is ridiculous. 

This, while controversial, is a very strong argument man. I'm impressed. 

1 hour ago, Ari said:

From how DED was explained, Tom was the one who pushed that release, and wanted them to get together to work on it together, but Mark and Travis showed up at the end, something neither contested, and even then tension was overwhelming.  

Hah, DED was the perfect demonstration of Tom working on blink when he feels like it, and expecting others to follow his schedule and show up when he rings the bell. Didn't he try to make it a Modlife exclusive too or something?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MSandt said:

Hah, DED was the perfect demonstration of Tom working on blink when he feels like it, and expecting others to follow his schedule and show up when he rings the bell. Didn't he try to make it a Modlife exclusive too or something?

But I think it's less to do with when he feels like it, and more to do with when he can given his other responsibilities. If you wanna film something fun with friends, but you're scheduled for work you can't film with your friends until your work schedule permits it. 

• Like 1