The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

13 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

We’re famous. Sorry to spam this but you guys have to listen to this, it’s exactly what I hoped to do for us and hopefully just the beginning! 

Really enjoyed part 1. Loved how he explained why stuff is priced out the way it is. Never understood why shirts at concerts can be as much as 50$. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chewy030 said:

Really enjoyed part 1. Loved how he explained why stuff is priced out the way it is. Never understood why shirts at concerts can be as much as 50$. 

Yeah I had no idea that venues took such a big %,  I also can't believe that "Crappy Punk Rock" was originally meant for NOFX...so wild. Really was just absolutely blown away by the insight and stories he was willing to share. If you guys are on IG be sure to thank him for taking the time to come on. He is a very shy person (he touches on this in Part 2) and did not have to do this.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

where in the podcast does he mention this?

Idk the exact time stamp but he said the only real bummer he has looking back is that Tom has not spoken with him since 2014 in Vegas at his last blink show. (This after doing blink merch for 20+ years, and BCR/AVA for him.) To give insight into the kind of guy Mark is, he mentioned that after the first break-up ("when blink went to hell in a handbasket the first time"), Mark was there by his side for his extremely small wedding in Hawaii with his mom, Skye, and Jack along with a few other examples of always being there for him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Idk the exact time stamp but he said the only real bummer he has looking back is that Tom has not spoken with him since 2014 in Vegas at his last blink show. (This after doing blink merch for 20+ years, and BCR/AVA for him.) To give insight into the kind of guy Mark is, he mentioned that after the first break-up ("when blink went to hell in a handbasket the first time"), Mark was there by his side for his extremely small wedding in Hawaii with his mom, Skye, and Jack along with a few other examples of always being there for him.

Tom seemingly hasn’t talked to anyone that’s involved with the blink machine since he left so not really a surprise, not that I think it’s okay.

yeah, that stuff seems to be true now and really it's quite indicative of how Tom operates and was becoming estranged to blink and even fame. it's briefly seen in UC2 where he seemingly is weirded out by fans and others and just wants to be left alone on his bus with his wife. I mean, it's understandable, but it also might be a social anxiety thing that was becoming stronger his prescription drug use. it even seems to manifest itself in the music like Asthenia. 

It's also why I've always felt Mark has faux-ego in his comedy persona (very influenced by Chevy Chase) and Tom has a secret ego where it's there but hidden by his idiot-like surface. but then again, you hear about how Tom and Travis would hang out and blaze up with Cypress Hill and you wonder how true this stuff is. I think the fact Tom and Travis by their own admission didn't really hang out one on one was odd considering how much they were in each other's lives.

Also can anyone clue me in on the Atticus situation in that when blink were on TRL; Mark and Tom both said they didn't own Atticus but were helping out a friend, but the company still seems to be owned and started by Mark and Tom with Dylan Anderson. Why did they initially claim to not own it? Was it a label thing?  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Also can anyone clue me in on the Atticus situation in that when blink were on TRL; Mark and Tom both said they didn't own Atticus but were helping out a friend, but the company still seems to be owned and started by Mark and Tom with Dylan Anderson. Why did they initially claim to not own it? Was it a label thing?  

I would love to know more about Atticus as well, I remember it popping up in the TOYPAJ days but I was too young to afford merch then. I had always thought it started around 2001 with those 3 (Dylan is an old friend of theirs who runs HMNIM btw), and thought Mark sold his share around the first breakup, then Tom got out, and now it's like a defunct overseas thing. So they (Tom/Mark) may have just been "investors" and not "owners".

Just now, Ry-Bread said:

I would love to know more about Atticus as well, I remember it popping up in the TOYPAJ days but I was too young to afford merch then. I had always thought it started around 2001 with those 3 (Dylan is an old friend of theirs who runs HMNIM btw), and thought Mark sold his share around the first breakup, then Tom got out, and now it's like a defunct overseas thing. So they (Tom/Mark) may have just been "investors" and not "owners".

He did I think around 2007 I think, and Tom sold his later?? I wondered if they wanted it to be viewed as them helping a friend out or they were all in from the getgo. It seemed to be odd the way they framed it and heck, even Wikipedia has Mark Hoppus as the founder of the company.

I don't think I had any Atticus gear but I had the comps. It was a good brand. 

17 hours ago, boxelder said:

tom's been like that for as long as the band's been big -- not sure about before. there's an old kerrang piece about the pop disaster tour in which tre cool theorizes he never leaves his bus

J1btcfF.jpg

It's a shame that a lot of the stuff about blowing them off the stage was true.  My dad wouldn't shut up about how bad blink live was and how good Green Day was after the show (was in 6th grade, needed a ride lol.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

for a bit there blink did get better, and I think it was a direct result of the pop disaster tour rivalry. I think also a lot of it rested with Tom stepping his game up and trying to hold his own. Tom is the lead but needed the most help. Travis and Mark kind of lived or died with him. 

• Like 1

Green Day's arrogance has always annoyed me and their fanboys inherited that same attitude. Bashing blink has always been a hobby of theirs.

Oh how the mighty have fallen though. Blinks studio albums with Matt Skiba have been better than Green Day's last 5 or 6 and they still have their original lineup!

They are a great live band but they use extra musicians and at the same time act like the gatekeepers of punk rock.

I've always thought that piece made Green Day come off as incredibly petty and pathetic and arrogant. clearly blink didn't give a shit, why did Green Day have such a bug up their ass about it? 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

It's a shame that a lot of the stuff about blowing them off the stage was true.  My dad wouldn't shut up about how bad blink live was and how good Green Day was after the show (was in 6th grade, needed a ride lol.)

Green Days live shows blows most of the punk rock bands off the stage to be fair.. They're extremely competent as a live act

• Like 3