The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

I feel personally hurt that Tom just uses Blink as a cash cow. It's like U care more about Blink than he does. At work I would just put on my headphones and listen to "All the Small Things" and think of how much work sucked instead of working, dreaming of buying a boat so I could sail on the river the next summer . Now it's so Depressing that Tom doesn't care anymore. There's no way Tom would have that much money without Blink, so when someone gives you money shouldn't you be more respectful than to just get that money and use it to fund other stuff? Dick move, Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

blink's development between 2002 and 2015 was difficult, but i don't see how it could've gotten any other way.

Tom was the major catalyst to push blink forward since the bcr days and it lead to untitled which made an incredible record where each of the members shine on.

Tom was exhausted from all the touring and felt inspired to write new songs at home and share them with his bandmates to collaborate, just like every band does these days.

Mark was sick of the tom show and tom didn't feel llike giving in  so he quit.

fast forward to now, blink writes songs with multiple people, sends files to producers with different singers and interchanges parts all the time. No harm in that, just usual business.

I'm 100 percent sure, especially after the chris holmes interview from @Ry-Bread (shoutout to you, my man, that was so cool) that the three guys in the band spendt more time in the same room during the neighborhoods days than while recording nine. Who cares! both records turned out good.

I think Mark hates tom's guts, and has felt inferior since the day they met( the whole climbing a lamp-pole to impress tom story). Tom just likes to write songs whenever he feels like it and travis works on music 24/7.  The bunch of them are not compatible anymore, and as soon as they took a step back from the rush and the fame, they noticed it. Travis noticed it so he started working with other artists(transplants). Tom noticed it so he took a step back. and mark does the same while blaming tom for doing stuff without him.

If they all get inspired to work together at the same time, they might collaborate again, and if not, they won't.

Blink is doing better off without tom at the moment, and tom is better off without blink at the moment. everybody wins.

I don't understand the witchhunt to find a person to blame. it is what it is, and has been for more than a decade, time to get over it

• Like 6

Some good points there neal. I highly doubt blink spent more time together recording neighbourhoods then nine though. I haven’t listened to part 2 of the Chris Holmes interview but @boxelder last post in the thread made it seem like they literally got together just once to record as a band is that right @Ry-Bread? I was gonna sit down and listen to part two tomorrow but help us out here.

also:

11 minutes ago, Neal said:

I think Mark hates tom's guts, and has felt inferior since the day they met( the whole climbing a lamp-pole to impress tom story).

This part is pure fanfic and just shows your Tom bias. 

14 minutes ago, Neal said:

fast forward to now, blink writes songs with multiple people, sends files to producers with different singers and interchanges parts all the time. No harm in that, just usual business.

You also don’t have much proof of parts of this either. It definitely seemed like with nine they were in the studio with the many different producers/songwriters when coming up with the songs and recording them. Getting Miley Cyrus record a feature on one track for example doesn’t mean they just do things in separate studios and send all the pieces together rather then get together as a band.

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

Some good points there neal. I highly doubt blink spent more time together recording neighbourhoods then nine though. I haven’t listened to part 2 of the Chris Holmes interview but @boxelder last post in the thread made it seem like they literally got together just once to record as a band is that right @Ry-Bread?

It didn't seem like it was just once, Chris said they had what he called "Three Amigos" sessions and Natives/After Midnight/Wishing Well came from those, so it seems like there were at least a few.

1 hour ago, Neal said:

The bunch of them are not compatible anymore, 

Blink is doing better off without tom at the moment, and tom is better off without blink at the moment. everybody wins.

I definitely agree with these two points. Tom wants to beat to his own drum (and I don't blame him, do what makes you happy), Mark/Trav want to make music and tour. It's literally almost been a year since Rebel Girl dropped, and the album isn't even out yet... that's not how Mark/Trav want to roll, blink is very much the priority.

You can sum it all up in their lyrics:

Mark: "I need the sound of a thousand voices singing back, to feel at home."

Tom: "So if I'm gonna go try this, satisfy this. Watch the bomb I made go off."

They've both explained it several times, it's like your old middle school/high school best friends that you just get older and have different priorities and lose touch with. It's common, the sad part is when fans take this out on them in their comments on pretty much every post they make, for what is going on 5+ years...lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

Some good points there neal. I highly doubt blink spent more time together recording neighbourhoods then nine though. I haven’t listened to part 2 of the Chris Holmes interview but @boxelder last post in the thread made it seem like they literally got together just once to record as a band is that right @Ry-Bread? I was gonna sit down and listen to part two tomorrow but help us out here.

i don’t believe this to be exaggeration on my part, and of course we’ll never truly know how frequently they were together in the studio at that time. however, based on what i recall from then, it seemed fairly obvious based on mark’s studio updates (him by himself with chris filming) that they never got together. and then it was in such bad shape they had to cancel the euro tour and the label got upset and gave them a hard deadline. only then did work appear to kick into gear IIRC. sometime around that may (2011) they got together for about three days at opra in hollywood. during those sessions, a breadth of songs were developed, including after midnight, kaleidoscope, natives, and this is home i think. it was obvious this was an unusual occurrence because they filled their social profiles with posts about the studio, pictures, and things like “good work done today. this is how it should be”. most have since been deleted but i could probably find them via the web archive if i was at a desktop. i know the blink-182 forever fanpage has a deep backlog covering those posts. there might have been one more in-person session that summer but that’s what i remember.

its also clear the remaining songs were basically solo tracks, with the exception of up all night, which appears to have been created together preceding the summer ‘09 tour.

tom:

GOTDF

snake charmer

wishing well

love is dangerous

EISF

mark:

hearts all gone

MH 04182011

fighting the gravity 

3 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

also:

You also don’t have much proof of parts of this either. It definitely seemed like with nine they were in the studio with the many different producers/songwriters when coming up with the songs and recording them. Getting Miley Cyrus record a feature on one track for example doesn’t mean they just do things in separate studios and send all the pieces together rather then get together as a band.

I dont try to hate on the fact they rarely are in the studio all together. I just find it dumb it always gets brought up negatively when talking about neighborhoods.

Have you any proof of them being all three of them in the studio at the same time for recording nine?

Not that it matters, but i hate how it's a catastrophy if tom wants to work like it but its totally okay right now.

Get your opinion straight mate

3 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

also:

I dont try to hate on the fact they rarely are in the studio all together. I just find it dumb it always gets brought up negatively when talking about neighborhoods.

Have you any proof of them being all three of them in the studio at the

7 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

D9YV3zZ.jpg

Fe5mZ23.png

PbTOFpT.png

H1msN7t.png

jzoJHmU.png

Tons man, no question NINE was far more collaborative than NH IMO.

Lol allright then, i'll see myself out 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Neal said:

Lol allright then, i'll see myself out 😂

Lol I get your point though, it was cool to hear CH say himself that NH wasn't *as* disjointed as some make it out to be. And he did say a lot of bands send files back and forth like they did, it just seems there is something to be said about at least being *willing* to meet up occasionally, and I don't know that any of them were willing to budge much on that. Just sort of an awkward era looking back, and it speaks volumes that they don't play any of the songs really anymore, nor ever mention it. (and IIRC Mark put it dead last on a blink albums list of his at one point and nearly forgot about it?)

Also surprised no one has brought up the DED stuff when I asked about Tom's infamous quote saying "I looked them all in the eye and asked if they gave their best, and none of them said anything." His answer was great on that...

• Like 1

Ry- nice pics. Do you save ur own version of a timeline (pics, tweets, news, etc)? You seem like a wealth of blink nfo with an incredible memory.

I ask for 2 reasons;

- i was browsing the timeline site, and a couple of the links i clicked on are dead/missing now. So i was wondering if anyone has a personal 'back-up' of every tweet convo/pic/article etc, that is part of blink history, just so we lose things forever

- i was going to ask anyone out there if they kept a list of travis' side project songs over the last year approx. Ive started to lose track, amd was hoping an official record keeper could just copy and paste for me

On 4/21/2020 at 4:16 PM, Speedo said:

Or, you know, he just wanted to do something else.

- with someone else

On 4/21/2020 at 6:54 PM, Ghent said:

All blink is for Tom is a tool to help AVA promotion.

And why shouldn't he? He created blink, it's all his work that made blink the promotion tool for AVA. Totally don't get this argument. If you created something that got that big, wouldn't you use it as well to get recognition for new endeavors? He earned it.

• Crab 2

Most people who create something very big try to get out of it's shadow and create something new afterward that is respected on its own merits. They don't quit something big, just to ride on its coattails through cheap promotion gimmicks for the rest of their career.

• Like 2

While I think that California and Nine are absolute trash and it disappoints me so much that the three of them couldn't produce anything better, the root of all this is still because of Tom being a douche.  His ego being out of control in 05 and forward is 100% the reason.  Yeah Mark and Travis could have maybe met some more of his demands but they were just looking out for the band.  AVA will be remembered for nothing besides being Tom from Blink 182.  I would place AVA at the bottom of the list that Tom will be remembered for: 1. Blink 2. crazy alien guy 3. BCR 4. AVA.  And Tom acting like AVA is high art is laughable (though Dreamwalker and forward is pretty good).  Just adding a delay effect and lyrics like "I think I like today, I think it's gooooood" does not make the music avant-garde.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, BlinkFloyd said:

While I think that California and Nine are absolute trash and it disappoints me so much that the three of them couldn't produce anything better, the root of all this is still because of Tom being a douche.  His ego being out of control in 05 and forward is 100% the reason.  Yeah Mark and Travis could have maybe met some more of his demands but they were just looking out for the band.  AVA will be remembered for nothing besides being Tom from Blink 182.  I would place AVA at the bottom of the list that Tom will be remembered for: 1. Blink 2. crazy alien guy 3. BCR 4. AVA.  And Tom acting like AVA is high art is laughable (though Dreamwalker and forward is pretty good).  Just adding a delay effect and lyrics like "I think I like today, I think it's gooooood" does not make the music avant-garde.

pink floyd was such a great band i listened to atomic mother the other day and was re-afirmed in my belief of how good they were

"While I think that California and Nine are absolute trash and it disappoints me so much that the three of them couldn't produce anything better"

i agree with that quote

if u listen to the new the used album heartwork(comes out this friday but leaked now)

it will give u a great idea of how good feldman is as a producer and how much he can deliver

confirming that the prob is mark and skiba not being able to modernise themself and try something new

heaven was a fantastic song but that was writen by someone else musicly wise

the rest of the album is in general rather stale and mostly re-ash of re-hash that doesnt realy bring anything to do table aside of some interesting parts here and there

they tried 2 frankstein this new version of blink to appeal comericaly and it realy stinks 

instead of just letting it b what it wanted to b

like blink did originaly when they did blink

• Like 1