The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

16 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

You make a compelling case. I’m not mad at Mark for continuing blink without Tom, I’d rather have that than nothing I guess. Not really for the new music, but to hear their classic work live with Mark and Travis. But at the end of the day, I just can’t get around the fact that it’s really just not blink without Mark and Tom. This isn’t a generic band where you can just replace members and it doesn’t matter. It can be said that most of blink’s DNA came from Tom.

Yeah and that's fine. There's probably a bunch of fans from Davey's era that don't consider it blink without Scott Raynor. But you can definitely see how Mark can still see it as blink and isn't bullshitting his way through which is where this whole conversation started from.

I'm not as concerned with whether Mark said "get the band back together" as meaning "the current Blink isn't Blink." I don't think he meant it that way at all. But it's more interesting to me that he said he thought about calling Tom and getting back together and having fun like they used to. In all the years of Tom being gone I don't think Mark has EVER brought up pining for Tom in any way, or wanting to call Tom, or talking to Tom, or how much fun it was when they were together. He's always just given purposely bland answers when someone else asks him about Tom. It's not a huge deal or anything but it's pretty interesting and new for Mark.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Feeling_This_1 said:

Many don't consider the post hiatus Tom era to be real blink and it could be combined with the Skiba era. It was a total flop aside from the 2 tours before the 2011 album. They made 1 album in 6 years. Then Skiba filled in and made 3 albums in 4 years. 

Have you ever heard of quality not quantity?

• Like 2

Just now, Diddy Faplord said:

Have you ever heard of quality not quantity?

I don't consider Neighborhoods to be so great in quality, I can find 15 equally good Skiba songs from these albums. Of course I would prefer Tom to be around especially live but the band lost the dynamic they had before the hiatus anyway. Tom in 2004 hadn't gone into Ava mode yet!

Speaking of disingenuous, that describes Tom well. Supposedly quitting for his family and then he starts a new band and tours every year with multiple albums. Tom Brady did the same thing recently, using the family excuse. 

• Like 2
  • Crab 1

7 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

I don't consider Neighborhoods to be so great in quality, I can find 15 equally good Skiba songs from these albums. Of course I would prefer Tom to be around especially live but the band lost the dynamic they had before the hiatus anyway. Tom in 2004 hadn't gone into Ava mode yet!

Speaking of disingenuous, that describes Tom well. Supposedly quitting for his family and then he starts a new band and tours every year with multiple albums. Tom Brady did the same thing recently, using the family excuse. 

I hear ya, I don’t consider NH to be top notch or anything like that. I was just saying in principal, the fact they’ve made music more frequently with Skiba than Tom in his last years with the band isn’t an accurate measure of them being better or better off without Tom. I’m sure it much easier to churn out more songs when you’re hiring so many other people to write them for you.

16 hours ago, Tom Bot said:

If he was, why did they stop making music so quickly? 

we have no additional facts with which to hypothesize. but it's too far of a leap to assume mark deemed the project a failure simply because of the fact that it ended abruptly. i've ended projects abruptly because they were a success and achieved a goal. hell, sexual intercourse ends quite abruptly in orgasm. would you thus characterize the act as a failure?

if i had to guess based on what i know about mark, and based on the lyrics and music on the +44 album, he had things he "had to get out" and personal matters "he wanted to say" and he filled an album with those songs and there was nothing else he needed to accomplish. just like the boxcar album for tom, it was something he "had to do" which was personal and important to him as a songwriter, yet didn't fit with blink.

the project ended, goal achieved, and mark moved on. i suspect when they were demoing material for a second album he reached the conclusion that he was finished with what he had to say in that particular musical voice.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

There's probably a bunch of fans from Davey's era that don't consider it blink without Scott Raynor.

given the ephemeral role that drummers tend to play in most rock bands, blink with travis is definitely still blink. hell, bad religion is on like their fifth or sixth drummer in four decades.

it's just not my blink. i.e. the band i grew up with.

14 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

we have no additional facts with which to hypothesize. but it's too far of a leap to assume mark deemed the project a failure simply because of the fact that it ended abruptly. i've ended projects abruptly because they were a success and achieved a goal. hell, sexual intercourse ends quite abruptly in orgasm. would you thus characterize the act as a failure?

if i had to guess based on what i know about mark, and based on the lyrics and music on the +44 album, he had things he "had to get out" and personal matters "he wanted to say" and he filled an album with those songs and there was nothing else he needed to accomplish. just like the boxcar album for tom, it was something he "had to do" which was personal and important to him as a songwriter, yet didn't fit with blink.

the project ended, goal achieved, and mark moved on. i suspect when they were demoing material for a second album he reached the conclusion that he was finished with what he had to say in that particular musical voice.

I see what you're saying and it all makes sense. I partly disagree on the bolded, though. It wasn't really a one-off because Mark has carried his +44 influences over to Blink in quite a few songs, like Kaleidoscope and Heaven. He also used a similar production style with many other songs like Boxing Day (he loves using that electric xylophone instrument in bridges of songs) and HAG interlude, to name a few. Tom keeping BCR separate from Blink makes sense because he wanted to test out a different sound, and based on Travis' book, they got really close around that time and bonded over hardcore music and wanted to experiment with an album like that. Mark and +44, on the other hand, didn't even see Blink as an option without Tom at the time, so +44 (or any new band) was a necessity in making new music at the time. It also should be noted that +44 started out a lot more indie in its infancy, if you check out the demo for No It Isn't. I actually think the demo, with the extra verse added in the final song, would have been much more preferable than what we got. +44 went from very indie and raw, to a pretty standard pop-punk album.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

It wasn't really a one-off because Mark has carried his +44 influences over to Blink in quite a few songs, like Kaleidoscope and Heaven.

I actually think the demo, with the extra verse added in the final song, would have been much more preferable than what we got.

to the first point, that's creative spillover. i'm saying +44 was a statement, he made it, and moved on.

to the second point, fuck yes. i loved the early demos with carol and had hoped the album would be a kind of rentals thing with some killer moog. still, i adore the (admittedly quite different) album we eventually got. i think some of mark's best songwriting is on it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Neighborhoods is better than everything they've done with Skiba. It's worst track, This IS Home is on par with the majority of California and Nine. 

And Neighborhoods is low in my rankings. Quality over quantity for definite. 

• Crab 1

2 minutes ago, Depf said:

Neighborhoods as a whole and its songs  surely are far more polarizing. This is home (and when i was young) are probably my favorite reunion songs. probably shows how different us fans see it

Cali was all about getting the classic blink fix we all delonged for since summer 01. I don't think anybody suggests it's an album that grows on you, unfortunately rather the oppsite since there is just much too much filler material. I do think though that deluxe was a big step up and that nine is the bands best work since 03. I do hope some of the fanbases criticisms and concerns are heard and we get more "pure" blink, i.e. less song writers and more Skiba.  Nobody denies that the man can write killer lyrics and guitar riffs and is there seriously any poppunk fan that didn't have bored to death on repeat upon release?

Quarantine was a bit meh, but generational divide definately peaked my interest in a rawer, a bit more 90s Style EP. I would love Madam Me to get pregnant by Lemmings and see what beautiful bastard that produces

I really appreciate your dedication to shitty puns and jokes!

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, Kay said:

Neighborhoods is better than everything they've done with Skiba. It's worst track, This IS Home is on par with the majority of California and Nine. 

And Neighborhoods is low in my rankings. Quality over quantity for definite. 

Nine is a far better album than neighbourhoods imo. And while I do like neighbourhoods more than Cali I still rate Cali as a great album. So it’s quality AND quantity with skiba blink which is great.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Depf said:

did your locker bugger off to west fuckwad indiana? your threads made me rejoin this forum and now i can't find it. muy triste :(

i nixed the locker after the podcast aired, because all the image links were dead and i told all the same stories on the cast.

and yea, i'm making a snarking stylistic comment about neighborhoods being an AVA album. but it certainly helps me understand the record more.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, daveyjones said:

to the first point, that's creative spillover. i'm saying +44 was a statement, he made it, and moved on.

to the second point, fuck yes. i loved the early demos with carol and had hoped the album would be a kind of rentals thing with some killer moog. still, i adore the (admittedly quite different) album we eventually got. i think some of mark's best songwriting is on it.

I'm still not 100% sold on that. I got the sense that +44 was a band that originally was going to keep going. I think Mark having writer's block and not recording much music between 2006 - 2011, having his show, and if the rivalry with Tom was petty enough (interviews indicate it was) - the fact that WDNTW sold three times as many copies as WYHSB might have played into it.

But yeah, I think an album with production like that demo would have been amazingly different for Mark and Travis. I'm happy with how the record turned out, the lyrics and drums are great and the production is pretty good overall (kinda similar to Neighborhoods IMO). 

• Like 1