Jump to content
 

The blink 182 general discussion topic


Ari
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Kay said:

I don't mean release wise so much (the albums are split evenly until Untitled as well) I meant more like press coverage and posters and teen magazines and all that crap. I was the right age at that time and I remember a hell of a lot of Tom stuff that pushed him as some kind of sex symbol for the tweens, way more so than Mark. So Tom as the lead / frontman in a media sense. 

Oh yeah I got what you meant, I just figured singles/music videos would be in that realm too. You could definitely be right about posters/magazines, I don't remember seeing many that weren't the 3 of them on equal ground kinda Beastie Boys style but it's been a long time since those days :( haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Kay said:

Tom was pushed to look like more of a front man from a marketing perspective with enema and onwards, I feel. He was the "attractive" one they banked on more, but it didn't make a difference artistically until BCR and onwards. 

I don’t agree with this at all. They were always co-frontmen to me, and I found out about them with WMAA. I also always thought Mark was the better looking one. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I don’t agree with this at all. They were always co-frontmen to me, and I found out about them with WMAA. I also always thought Mark was the better looking one. 

Read my later post, I didn't mean he *was* the lead, but he was marketed that way as a tweeny pretty boy more than the others were. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kay said:

Read my later post, I didn't mean he *was* the lead, but he was marketed that way as a tweeny pretty boy more than the others were. 

But how so? They seemed to always both be in the forefront and marketed together. What pictures or marketing products are you referring to where Tom was ever placed out in front of Mark, with more visibility than Mark, or any different than Mark?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

But how so? They seemed to always both be in the forefront and marketed together. What pictures or marketing products are you referring to where Tom was ever placed out in front of Mark, with more visibility than Mark, or any different than Mark?

I'm talking about 1999 - 2001ish so I don't exactly have examples to hand, but I mean more the stuff aimed at kids and young girls, like pre teen magazines and the like. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kay said:

I'm talking about 1999 - 2001ish so I don't exactly have examples to hand, but I mean more the stuff aimed at kids and young girls, like pre teen magazines and the like. 

Yea, but Tom and Mark were represented equally 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Yea, but Tom and Mark were represented equally 

You read a lot of pre teen magazines in the early 2000s? I'm not making this up, I literally read them. I was 10 lol Sugar in the UK had fuckin' stickers of Tom with hot pink backgrounds and shit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Kay said:

You read a lot of pre teen magazines in the early 2000s? I'm not making this up, I literally read them. I was 10 lol Sugar in the UK had fuckin' stickers of Tom with hot pink backgrounds and shit. 

I saw them in the aisle at grocery stores, yes. I was obsessed with blink and saw all the magazines. I never saw one with just Tom. Maybe you feel that way because you personally thought he was the cute one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Granted, I'm not the best judge of male attractiveness, but I thought Mark was better-looking than Tom at their respective peaks.

This is what I always thought as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Thibaut182 said:

Very cool interview with Chris Georggin talking about the early days of Blink!

awesome to hear chris on record. the poway cinemas he worked at is where i went to the movies with mark and tom. he's right, mark went to the movies there constantly.

good interview, but hearing and watching the twelve year old talking to chris giggling the whole time was annoying AF. that kid is terrible.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

Granted, I'm not the best judge of male attractiveness, but I thought Mark was better-looking than Tom at their respective peaks.

100%. I can see the teenage girls creaming over Tom because of his hair and lip ring etc but Mark was way more handsome. Tom probably better looking now though tbh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I saw them in the aisle at grocery stores, yes. I was obsessed with blink and saw all the magazines. I never saw one with just Tom. Maybe you feel that way because you personally thought he was the cute one. 

I'm quite gay and I've never been attracted to any of them, so, no. I think it's memory vs memory which is a stupid argument, I was merely saying that from my memory he was marketed as the "hot" one in some circles and therefore the assumed lead for those not fully versed in their material. I'm not saying I believe that or that it was the truth, just how it appeared from my perspective at that time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

from this video you’d say Mark was the frontman, look at his confidence. Scott is so sick of their shit, he even tells Tom at 4mins “come on Tom, enough” 😂 I bet being around those two all day was exhausting I bet they were both fucking arseholes too let’s be honest. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

VERY interesting about Mark’s comments on what could’ve been Pop Disaster 2. Because I remember getting major PD vibes from the “Hella Mega Tour” with Green Day, Fall Out Boy, and Weezer that was supposed to happen this year. I thought back when it was announced that it was almost down right odd that they (whoever “they” are, seems like Green Day are holding the reigns for this tour) didn’t pick blink instead of Weezer. To the point it felt pretty deliberate. I think most of us can agree that Blink, FOB, and Green Day are the most well known faces of the pop punk genre (to the general public at least), and it would’ve been a wet dream from a marketing stand point to have them all on one stadium tour.

Say what you want about recent blink, fuckin Lord knows I’m not a fan, but Weezer has been pure trash the last 15 years. And more importantly, just seem like an out of place, odd duck choice to have instead of blink. Basically having 2 of the 3 biggest names in pop punk, and deliberately shunning the third, because...reasons? Is there some animosity from Green Day’s end? Seems FOB and blink’s camps get along just fine, so I don’t think it’s them. Maybe a scheduling issue? But what did blink really have going on during this time that could’ve prevented them from doing this tour? They had nothing on the books for a Nine tour this summer, and doing this tour only could’ve helped.
 

And now hearing Mark say that Green Day rejected a proposal to a very similar tour they were more than willing to do now, and not inviting blink for the ride seems suspect IMO...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...