The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

29 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I’d say it’s more that people here are real and honest and aren’t just trying to suck up to Mark Hoppus in the hopes he will notice them. If mark wasn’t active in the discord and it was just a blink discord that got popular people wouldn’t act too differently than they do here.

nah, no one pays mark much mind. we all spend our time talking to each other. and there isn't much kissing up. about the only time things are weird is when a young kid (new member) shows up and starts tagging him with silly questions. mark literally considers the regulars on there to be his pals. it's fine if you don't believe that, but it's actually how it is.

naturally, my relationship is different, because i was friendly with mark and knew the band and his sister and mom etc back in the day. that's why the whole "i'm a super fan of mark" doesn't wash. we have a prior relationship that goes back like over 25 years.

also, one last thing. discord culture is very, very different from reddit / message board culture. i'm on a bunch of servers, not just HMNMIM. and every single person calls people out for being dicks. assholes just get banned. i've talked about this before, but many of the users are kids as young as 12 or 13. and this generation is super woke, so watch out edgelords. reddit-style trolling and flaming is just not tolerated.

5 minutes ago, wannabe corn dog said:

it wasn't an attack. i just have an extremely hard time interpreting the tone of your posts. i suppose that's just my problem. 

it's fine. i just bristle at being called some kind of "super fan." i don't listen to blink regularly. i have zero interest in AVA. skibba-182 is pretty meh to me. i don't buy blink merch or collect blink memorabilia. that stuff on my wall is all from the 90s, when i collected it, back then.

since 2000, i've seen blink exactly twice: 2015 and 2016.

which is something of a running joke on the discord, actually. mark has even roasted me about it:

dude-ranch-roasting.jpg

so clearly mark doesn't think i'm some kind of a super fan. he actually makes fun of me for not really caring about blink anymore.

and the person calling me a super fan? their profile pic is tom delonge.

10 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

it's fine. i just bristle at being called some kind of "super fan." i don't listen to blink regularly. i have zero interest in AVA. skibba-182 is pretty meh to me. i don't buy blink merch or collect blink memorabilia. that stuff on my wall is all from the 90s, when i collected it, back then.

since 2000, i've seen blink exactly twice: 2015 and 2016.

which is something of a running joke on the discord, actually. mark has even roasted me about it:

dude-ranch-roasting.jpg

so clearly mark doesn't think i'm some kind of a super fan. he actually makes fun of me for not really caring about blink anymore.

and the person calling me a super fan? their profile pic is tom delonge.

I could remember it wrong but don’t you have to pay to get access to the thread where mark is chatting to people at?

8 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

I could remember it wrong but don’t you have to pay to get access to the thread where mark is chatting to people at?

mark reads all the channels and comments in many of them. there is a separate channel for people who subscribe to his twitch channel, yes. that money all goes to children's hospital of los angeles. i give $20 US a month to the charity. the lowest tier is $5. if you have amazon prime, it's free.

mark doesn't necessarily hang out more in that channel, but he has been known to drop pics there that he does not post anywhere else. he likes to do special things for those that support the hospital, where his wife works. like blinko is a good example.

4 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

mark reads all the channels and comments in many of them. there is a separate channel for people who subscribe to his twitch channel, yes. that money all goes to children's hospital of los angeles. i give $20 US a month to the charity. the lowest tier is $5. if you have amazon prime, it's free.

mark doesn't necessarily hang out more in that channel, but he has been known to drop pics there that he does not post anywhere else. he likes to do special things for those that support the hospital, where his wife works. like blinko is a good example.

Gotcha, i don’t know why I got the impression that he mainly was hanging out in the “vip section”.

I have to add that even if the money goes to charity it still costs money as it’s mandatory. What I don’t get is why it’s free if you have Amazon prime though? Could you explain that? 

Also, what is a blinko?

6 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

I have to add that even if the money goes to charity it still costs money as it’s mandatory. What I don’t get is why it’s free if you have Amazon prime though? Could you explain that? 

Also, what is a blinko?

amazon prime includes a single, lowest tier twitch subscription. because amazon owns twitch:

https://www.howtogeek.com/670241/how-to-subscribe-to-a-twitch-streamer-using-amazon-prime/

"blinko" is when we play bingo on twitch. he actually uses the app i recommended. the first card is free. people can buy unlimited cards using  "bits" which is twitch's digital currency. again, all money goes to the hospital. i've only ever played with the single free card. i've never won, but i make little winner banner graphics for the discord members who do:

winner.jpg

prizes range from HMNIM merch to rare blink stuff, used picks, etc. mark will also mail postcards to runner ups. he will write any lyric you ask for and sign it. mark pays to mail the prizes out of his own pocket, anywhere in the world. he will literally hop on the discord at 6am and say that he's mailing them:

winners.jpg

example from today:

blinko-prize.jpg

so when i see people shit on the HMNIM discord, i get kind of pissed, you know? mark could do what tom does and have some HMNIM Bonus Club that you have to pay to join, with the money going to him. but he doesn't. he has a free, public discord that anyone can join. he converses and interacts freely and treats everyone as equals. he is patient and answers even the most obscure questions, if he knows the answer. zero rockstar attitude at all. his son and wife will show up on streams and answer questions in the chat.

he doesn't promote anything, and he's not selling anything.

and any penny collected at all on twitch goes to a children's hospital?

donations.jpg

he's like the nicest fucking man in the world.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm a massive fan, I just prefer message boards to chat rooms, otherwise I'd check out the discord more often. I'm on a few discord severs but I don't regularly check any of them. Reading individual posts on a message board is less overwhelming than keeping up with an ongoing chatroom. Maybe the difference is minimal to some, but I've just always disliked chatrooms, even back in the '90s and early 2000s when they were more popular and common.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I'm a massive fan, I just prefer message boards to chat rooms, otherwise I'd check out the discord more often. I'm on a few discord severs but I don't regularly check any of them. Reading individual posts on a message board is less overwhelming than keeping up with an ongoing chatroom. Maybe the difference is minimal to some, but I've just always disliked chatrooms, even back in the '90s and early 2000s when they were more popular and common.

I should prefer chat rooms more because I used to play that shitty habbo game as a kid. The texts and messages of chat rooms move way too fast for my liking though. Every time I've watched a Mark twitch video, I have no damn clue which question he's responding to 95% of the time.

A forum is way more chilled out and I can just read shit in my own time and at my own speed. It's a shame that forums are dying out.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i wouldn't say "fan." after over 6 months on the discord, we're casual buds again. and while i appreciate that you wish i would "own it"...if having a blink wall in my house for all to see isn't owning it, i dunno. do i need to make a statement and find a notary?

my reply to kay about her saying the discord being full of "obsessives" is that

a.) it's a gross mischaracterization

b.) she meant it as a pejorative

the people on the discord are way kinder and friendlier than most people on here, which is why myself and others from 182online choose to spend most of our time over there.

most of this site is people being dicks to each other like it's the onlines circa 2002.

I mean my point was more that I shouldn't need to camp out on marks discord to be 'on time' to buy merch. It's kind of nuts that I didn't even see anything about the merch being out before it sold out...and i literally spend lots of time on a blink forum. The suggestion that I should camp out on the discord just to be in time for such a thing irked me. 

Ya'll can do as you please, I tried the discord and hated it. No issue with the people there.

and also, I was an admin on 182online and I've always been a big advocate for people *not* being cunts on here so that last part is kind of funny. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Kay said:

I mean my point was more that I shouldn't need to camp out on marks discord to be 'on time' to buy merch.

there was no announcement on discord. it was all instagram. people posted mr. tsurt's and blink-182's IG posts about merch on the discord and that's how i and many others saw it. sorry for the lack of clarification.

if you want to be on time to buy limited merch, you have to follow the right insta accounts. simple. it's that way for blink, for disney, for mondo, for anything special. heck even ry promoted it on the 182news account.

alas me, the alleged super fan, is not on instagram. and had no desire for jacket merchandise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I've just always disliked chatrooms, even back in the '90s and early 2000s when they were more popular and common.

fair enough. i prefer discord because it's just like the internet i grew up with, mIRC circa 1997. you can treat it like a forum, stop by once a day and respond to who tagged you and tag others and then leave. i keep it open on a second monitor during the work day, but many don't.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

also, @Kayeven the blink182online socials posted many times about the anniversary merch. @Ry-Breadreally worked to get the news out. so if you missed it, it's not like no one was trying.

image0.jpg

Yea, that “worn” hoodie is fucking sick. Bummed I missed it , I’m a big fan of acid washed hoodies 

7 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

also, @Kayeven the blink182online socials posted many times about the anniversary merch. @Ry-Breadreally worked to get the news out. so if you missed it, it's not like no one was trying.

image0.jpg

I think Kay's complaint was mainly about the store having such limited quantities of in-demand merch that you had to be online exactly when it went on sale. The Discord thing was tangential.

Correct me if I'm wrong @Kay.

• Like 4