The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

I found a cool song by Mxpx called Broken bones, then listened to a lot of their stuff. 

I never understood and still dont know if they are Christian or not :? apparently they were at some point, even labeled as an Christian punk band but then have said they drifted away or something

Wrecking hotel rooms still a banger!

1 hour ago, raw_sounds said:

I found a cool song by Mxpx called Broken bones, then listened to a lot of their stuff. 

I never understood and still dont know if they are Christian or not :? apparently they were at some point, even labeled as an Christian punk band but then have said they drifted away or something

Wrecking hotel rooms still a banger!

As far as I know they weren't ever a Christian band, they just caught the attention of Tooth and Nail early on. I could be wrong though. Mike Herrera is an atheist these days but it's entirely possible that wasn't the case in their early years.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Speedo said:

As far as I know they weren't ever a Christian band, they just caught the attention of Tooth and Nail early on. I could be wrong though. Mike Herrera is an atheist these days but it's entirely possible that wasn't the case in their early years.

I’m pretty sure they were a Christian band. Where I’m from the only way you’re playing a gig is in a church, whether you’re a Christian band or not. So I always had to hang around dorky Christian kids to get gigs lol, and they all loved MxPX. I’ve seen an interview with Mike Herrera and he acknowledged that they were but aren’t anymore. I guess they lost their faith and are going to hell now 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

So relieved to see that. So relieved. You are a champion Mark, keep fighting. Blink shows are going to be fucking cathartic and mesmerising when you’re back 

Yeah, I think him and Tom are gonna kill it!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, Felipe Gutieri said:

Awesome that Mark is getting better from chemo! No one deserves to go through this hell!

Btw, for a long time I've out of Facebook but today I found this thing in my timeline ... lol

jE0V8s4.jpg

Faplord doesn't find this funny, in case you were wondering. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Champ182 said:

I remember they had that reputation for some reason, but when I was a big fan of theirs I don't think I ever heard a single song about religion or anything like that at all.

But they do have Christian lyrics here and there, especially on early records. I listened to an interview around 2015 where Herrera kind of explains he grew up going to church but drifted away from it as years went by. As Speedo said, he´s now claiming it

Here´s the interview:

https://weaselradio.bandcamp.com/track/the-mxpx-episode

---------------------------------------------------------------

Awesome news by Mark! So glad to read that´s the best possible news :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raw_sounds said:

But they do have Christian lyrics here and there, especially on early records. I listened to an interview around 2015 where Herrera kind of explains he grew up going to church but drifted away from it as years went by.

Cool thanks for the background info! I must have missed those songs back in the day. It's weird now in the "streaming era" to think back on the days when you could be really into a band but not necessarily know their entire catalogue. I absolutely loved Teenage Politics, Life In General, and Slowly Going The Way Of The Buffalo, but if there were any Christian songs on those albums they somehow went over my head haha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

Cool thanks for the background info! I must have missed those songs back in the day. It's weird now in the "streaming era" to think back on the days when you could be really into a band but not necessarily know their entire catalogue. I absolutely loved Teenage Politics, Life In General, and Slowly Going The Way Of The Buffalo, but if there were any Christian songs on those albums they somehow went over my head haha.

I don't think they had anything overtly religious, I feel like they just weren't offensive.  No cussing, edgy song topics etc. 

Being on Tooth & Nail kind of gave them a built in audience for awhile before they floated away to where they are now.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I don't think they had anything overtly religious, I feel like they just weren't offensive.  No cussing, edgy song topics etc. 

Being on Tooth & Nail kind of gave them a built in audience for awhile before they floated away to where they are now.

Didn’t they have a super Jesus-y song ft. Mark Hoppus on The Passion of the Christ soundtrack?

3 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

Didn’t they have a super Jesus-y song ft. Mark Hoppus on The Passion of the Christ soundtrack?

I must have missed that one lol.

edit: oh wow you're right. I'm gonna go ahead and skip that and pretend it doesn't exist.

• Like 1

This show was amazing. Lil Tom and Mark share a kiss, Hoppus Hoppin’ as he should. Love the Beatles reference in Asthenia. Love this tune. Love this band. I’ve been drinking the Kool Aid from the bottle 

• Love 1