The blink 182 general discussion topic

Ari

22 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

yea and i'm not trying to crab. it just wasn't my scene anymore. i was too old.

Yea for sure. For me I was 13 when I first heard them so and 15 when I first saw them live in 2001. I fit right in though because I was a trouble maker already smoking a lot of weed at the shows, I certainly didn’t have my parents take me lol. There were definitely a lot of teeny boppers around them at that time and that even turned me off then, can definitely imagine how you would have felt. 

yeah i’ll never forget that night. i must’ve listened to UAN a hundred times. back then, i was on 182online. i knew the song wasn’t great right away but i was still just so overjoyed to hear mark and tom singing together. i guess in moments like those, or in light of mark’s recent news, all notions of constructive criticism or thought disappear and you just revert to being a fanboy. i was just so stoked for it, and for the band.

and i still like the riff too, the song just doesn’t work. fun to remember. enjoyed seeing stryker at KROQ’s video too; clear he is a massive fan

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, boxelder said:

yeah i’ll never forget that night. i must’ve listened to UAN a hundred times. back then, i was on 182online. i knew the song wasn’t great right away but i was still just so overjoyed to hear mark and tom singing together. i guess in moments like those, or in light of mark’s recent news, all notions of constructive criticism or thought disappear and you just revert to being a fanboy. i was just so stoked for it, and for the band.

and i still like the riff too, the song just doesn’t work. fun to remember. enjoyed seeing stryker at KROQ’s video too; clear he is a massive fan

I remember being "hmm, this is a bit too AVA for me" and then the chorus broke and I just cried like a little girl because blinks back, yay! 

And I'll never have that feeling again lol

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Kay said:

I remember being "hmm, this is a bit too AVA for me" and then the chorus broke and I just cried like a little girl because blinks back, yay! 

And I'll never have that feeling again lol

Yeah I remember thinking “this sounds like the best AVA song ever.”

I still think it sounds like AVA but I don’t think it sounds like the best AVA ever. It’s a good blink song that’s not a great single and always sounds bad live. Mid-tier for me.

Still, the excitement of getting that song can’t be topped!

• Like 2

Always rated Up All Night but it was a strange choice for a single as it's not exactly a catchy and chart topping type song.

I also didn't get too much AVA vibes outside of that spacey effect in the verses. Literally everything else in the song sounds like blink & BCR to me.

21 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Always rated Up All Night but it was a strange choice for a single as it's not exactly a catchy and chart topping type song.

I also didn't get too much AVA vibes outside of that spacey effect in the verses. Literally everything else in the song sounds like blink & BCR to me.

I don't get so much AVA vibes either more than it sounds like Toms songwriting which most connect with AVA. If we compare Toms songs he used for neighborhoods and the songs he used for love pt1 we can clearly hear that he tried to make the blink songs more "raw" or "angsty" or whatever with more power chords and stuff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twentytwenty said:

I don't get so much AVA vibes either more than it sounds like Toms songwriting which most connect with AVA. If we compare Toms songs he used for neighborhoods and the songs he used for love pt1 we can clearly hear that he tried to make the blink songs more "raw" or "angsty" or whatever with more power chords and stuff

Yeah good point about the Love Part 1 album. Flight of Apollo has similar vibes with the post hardcore styled riff and that space effect as well but despite that, both songs sound completely different

• Like 1

Sharing this episode of the Warped Life Podcast with Kevin Lyman because it talks about Hurley, Billabong and of course the early years of Blink with Rick Devoe!

Featuring:

Bob Hurley - Founder of Hurley Apparel

Paul Gomez - Hurley Vice President of Marketing (1998-2011)

Rick Devoe - Manager of Blink-182 (1995-2015)

Dylan Flynn - Founder of Pass the Bass

• Like 1

Holly Crap, Im more a Scott than Travis fan but wow, this beat Travis does at 4:46 (more or less) was soooooo awesome. Very simple but aaaah. That was good. (but watch the whole song to get that vibe haha)
Recently uploaded video, btw

3 minutes ago, saco0o said:

Holly Crap, Im more a Scott than Travis fan but wow, this beat Travis does at 4:46 (more or less) was soooooo awesome. Very simple but aaaah. That was good. (but watch the whole song to get that vibe haha)
Recently uploaded video, btw

Lol I will never understand the folks who say Scott is faster than Travis. I understand the people who prefer blinks albums with Scott because they prefer that more straightforward style of “punk rock.” But there are plenty who’ve argued over the years that Scott was faster than Travis which is simply not true. He just doesn’t play the same beats over and over, and he can definitely play anything Scott can faster and more precise. There’s really no debate in that. 

Just now, Speedo said:

Screenshot-20210716-093301-Instagram.jpg

This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. And I have no clue who that guy is. Nice attempt at being funny Brendan please try again

1 minute ago, FAPLORD said:

Lol I will never understand the folks who say Scott is faster than Travis. I understand the people who prefer blinks albums with Scott because they prefer that more straightforward style of “punk rock.” But there are plenty who’ve argued over the years that Scott was faster than Travis which is simply not true. He just doesn’t play the same beats over and over, and he can definitely play anything Scott can faster and more precise. There’s really no debate in that. 

Wait, what? Me? I never said "Scott plays faster than Travis" haha.
Im just into more those old songs. I know Travis is a f*cking GOD on drums but I have never been into his beats like most of fans. But that part was Reaaaally cool to listen!

2 minutes ago, saco0o said:

Wait, what? Me? I never said "Scott plays faster than Travis" haha.
Im just into more those old songs. I know Travis is a f*cking GOD on drums but I have never been into his beats like most of fans. But that part was Reaaaally cool to listen!

I know you didn’t say that mane.  I emphasized how I understand how people prefer the Scott era as you do, I was just eluding to arguments I’ve seen on here over the years, YouTube, etc , about Scott being faster. Sorry if it seemed I was coming at you because I wasn’t at all my dude 

12 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. And I have no clue who that guy is. Nice attempt at being funny Brendan please try again

You okay?