The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Jason Tate (of absolutepunk fame) keeps teasing a big reunion this year. It must be Tom coming back to blink right? I can’t think of any other big reunions that would be worthy of hype in the scene? Yellowcard maybe?

• Wow 1

I'd love to hear a weird blink song with Kanye West featuring. It'd be better to have Tom than Skiba with a song like that though. Tom suits the weird songs a little bit more than Skiba.

Kanye is having a huge meltdown recently though. Not exactly sure how his relationship is with Travis either. I don't know the ins and outs of the Kadarshians and I dunno if Kanye was still with Kim when Travis started getting involved with Kourtney.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rickay said:

Jason Tate (of absolutepunk fame) keeps teasing a big reunion this year. It must be Tom coming back to blink right? I can’t think of any other big reunions that would be worthy of hype in the scene? Yellowcard maybe?

it's more and more likely, i imagine. things have been pointing in that direction for some time now. i thought it'd be at least a few more years before he came around and everyone agreed to it, but perhaps mark's condition accelerated that process.

• Like 2

So I’ve been playing guitar for over 20 years and I’ve never played a blink song live with a band before…

until this month! My bassist and I both turn 33 this month and he suggested for a headline show we have on his birthday of covering what’s my age again. 

We tried it in practise the other day, and it sounds like a typical bleh cover band version but as it’s a one off who cares - I’m mostly just amused that after all this time, when I finally do a full band blink cover on stage, it’s not my idea or a song I would actually choose.

seriously the WMAA riff is not fun to play. Like it’s not hard it’s just awkward. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kay said:

So I’ve been playing guitar for over 20 years and I’ve never played a blink song live with a band before…

until this month! My bassist and I both turn 33 this month and he suggested for a headline show we have on his birthday of covering what’s my age again. 

We tried it in practise the other day, and it sounds like a typical bleh cover band version but as it’s a one off who cares - I’m mostly just amused that after all this time, when I finally do a full band blink cover on stage, it’s not my idea or a song I would actually choose.

seriously the WMAA riff is not fun to play. Like it’s not hard it’s just awkward. 

Most direct covers never really have that energy, it’s why I never understood cover bands. Can you try and make it your own?

2 minutes ago, Speedo said:

Most direct covers never really have that energy, it’s why I never understood cover bands. Can you try and make it your own?

In the time frame we have no not really lol, we have like an hour set and most of them are originals and this is purely for the 33 joke, so I am not too worried about it. If it was something we were going to play more often I totally would - we never do straight covers, I am also not a fan of it. But we only have another prac before the show and there’s others that need focus so I’m not complicating it. 

5 hours ago, Ghent said:

I think they've been doing some shit behind the scenes lately, possibly even recording music. Just a hunch based on vibes

I agree there’s definitely weird vibes and hushness. Anyone that’s been a hardcore since before the first reunion can tell when something is up in this universe

• Like 3

If they are doing something with Tom it's totally the right move keeping it hush hush. Announcing it would cause unattainable levels of hype, pressure, impatience, etc. Way better off just getting it done and then announcing. Last thing the band needs is another Neighborhoods situation. Touring before the album is ready, delays, Tom flaking.. no one needs that shit again. Just work naturally without any deadlines or pressure and see what happens

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

If they are doing something with Tom it's totally the right move keeping it hush hush. Announcing it would cause unattainable levels of hype, pressure, impatience, etc. Way better off just getting it done and then announcing. Last thing the band needs is another Neighborhoods situation. Touring before the album is ready, delays, Tom flaking.. no one needs that shit again. Just work naturally without any deadlines or pressure and see what happens

If there was a label involved, I don’t know that they’d let them do it like that. The label would push for the publicity so maybe they’re nixing that for now and just working purely on songs first, then shopping it.

10 hours ago, Rickay said:

A yellow card reunion would be great news imo

5 hours ago, Kay said:

We added ATST as our “stick it in if the crowd is good” song in our set some years back and it’s been a success so far. This was also not my idea haha but it really works for what it’s supposed to do

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Speedo said:

If there was a label involved, I don’t know that they’d let them do it like that. The label would push for the publicity so maybe they’re nixing that for now and just working purely on songs first, then shopping it.

There would be way more publicity and hype just from announcing it when they’re ready and already have things stuff done. Especially when the majority of fans already know how terribly the first reunion announcement went. I don’t know why a label wouldn’t be supportive of that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NotNow said:

There would be way more publicity and hype just from announcing it when they’re ready and already have things stuff done. Especially when the majority of fans already know how terribly the first reunion announcement went. I don’t know why a label wouldn’t be supportive of that.

Remember Neighborhoods? Pepperidge Farms does! 

23 minutes ago, NotNow said:

Remember Neighborhoods? Pepperidge Farms does!