The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

I'm not but Tom is still a flakey cunt and Mark (hopefully) isn't a total asshole that would just replace Matt after all he did for him without even letting him know. 

Total assumption on your part that they have stopped talking entirely. All we can gather from this is they haven't discussed the future of blink lately. Matt's been busy with Trio stuff for a while now, Mark could just be giving him the time to get through that before kicking blink off again.

All this shit can easily be spun either way. Some works more towards one theory some doesn't. I feel like you're so determined to be correct about this at this point that if Mark posted a photo of him and Matt in the studio together you'd claim its just a bait and switch so it's a real surprise when they reveal Tom is back. I prefer to think Mark is still a decent guy and if Matt is out of the band we will get a proper confirmation and not just him replying to some random instagram comment.

I would say it’s a bit more of an assumption, maybe if he just left it at the first sentence it’s more of an idk I get filled in when I get filled in. But then he had to add that he’s proud of and thankful for his time in the band like he thinks it may be past tense.

How are you one of the leads in one of the biggest rock bands in the world for six years and then just not know if you’re in the band anymore. Seems pretty fucked to me. Clearly something is up. And if they are keeping in touch then he definitely thinks something is off about his place in the band, but it sounds more like they’re not in touch.

Also mark just told davey last week that he and Travis are recording blink for the rest of the year. How would davey know that blink is recording, but not Matt lol.

There was that rumor out of Brazil that they were going to perform as a four piece. Idk weird stuff is going on.

And I’ll just reiterate, how can you leave one of your lead members uncertain of whether he’s still even in the band after three years even if he is in fact in the band. It’s fucked for their dynamic to be that way regardless. That part of it I don’t feel like there’s much to spin.

edit:

top post on the Reddit post summing up the timeline

Bit of a timeline:

Mark gets sick, Tom and Travis spend several hours at Mark's house after the diagnosis, Mark and Tom both say afterwards that they now speak every single day.

Skiba says next album is almost done

Album completely scrapped

AVA cancels UK tour out of the blue

Tour rumors start running wild

Fedez says Blink is playing in Italy next year and there's secrets Mark told him but Fedez cannot reveal and spoil it

Mark is in the studio and has yet to reveal what he's working on

Tom is in the studio working on "recording guitars, and uhhh... a live AVA album"

Skiba says publicly he doesn't have a clue if he's in the band anymore”

Also apparently mark said he was writing blink songs this week on his radio show but is unable to write anything happy.

• Like 4

Ugh I feel bad for Matt. I know everyone put the blame on Tom for breaking up blink-182 but it really just feels like every member of the band is just a shitty communicator. How could Matt not know if he’s in blink-182 or not? That’s on Mark and Travis. Tom didn’t even know he got kicked out of the band in 2015 until after we did. Remember how he tweeted that he was still in the band? And then later he was like “oh I guess I’m not actually.”

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, NotNow said:

Also apparently mark said he was writing blink songs this week on his radio show but is unable to write anything happy.

I want Mark to be happy, but also, Sad Mark writes the best music. If it’s too sad just make it a +44 album 😎

• Like 4
  • Love 1

@NotNowthanks for putting everything together like that. There’s definite signs that something is going on but I just prefer to try and keep an open mind and realise that a lot of things(not everything) can be spun either way depending on what you want to be the case.

The main thing I just can’t get around is Mark not telling Matt what’s going on. Just seems so unlike Mark to just not be honest with Matt about it all. Would honestly lose a lot of respect for him if that’s the case. Makes me hopeful maybe Matt was just being a bit snarky and actually does have more of a clue about what’s going on.

1 minute ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

It sounds like the same thing that happened to Tom when he got kicked out in 2015. Tom had no idea that he had been kicked out until after all of us already knew.

Except Toms manager had explicitly said Tom was out during that period lol. I doubt anyone from Matt’s camp has done the same.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Except Toms manager had explicitly said Tom was out during that period lol. I doubt anyone from Matt’s camp has done the same.

I thought that was referring to playing whatever shows, I didn’t take the “Tom’s out” message to mean out of the band. Am I misremembering?

4 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I thought that was referring to playing whatever shows, I didn’t take the “Tom’s out” message to mean out of the band. Am I misremembering?

“We booked January 5th to go into the studio. On December 30th, we get an e-mail from Tom’s manager saying that he has no interest in recording and that he wants to do his other, non-musical stuff and that he’s out indefinitely. There’s a flurry of e-mails going back and forth for clarification about the recording and the show and his manager sends [an e-mail] back saying, “Tom. Is. Out.” Direct quote. This is the exact same e-mail we got back in 2004 when Tom went on indefinite hiatus before.”

from that link above

I mean it pretty much lines up with what we know is going on. No clue if Tom is involved or not, but if he is, it’s just preliminary long distance stuff. I don’t think it could be kept a secret if Tom was suddenly driving to LA to record with Mark and Travis. And with all they have going on I’m skeptical of how serious any of their “studio” stuff is. Long distance, mostly working by themselves for sure.

If Skiba wasn’t touring with Alkaline Trio right now it would be way more suspect. I think this is an Occam’s razor situation. Whatever Mark and Travis are doing is very independent and uncoordinated. If Tom is involved it’s still going to be independent and uncoordinated. I don’t think anyone knows what going on for sure, and it’s as simple as that.

Seems like Skiba should be more privy to what’s going on than to make that public post though? But he has never really seemed to be in the loop. Who knows. What a weird band. Has been since 2004.

• Like 7

“We booked January 5th to go into the studio. On December 30th, we get an e-mail from Tom’s manager saying that he has no interest in recording and that he wants to do his other, non-musical stuff and that he’s out indefinitely. There’s a flurry of e-mails going back and forth for clarification about the recording and the show and his manager sends [an e-mail] back saying, “Tom. Is. Out.” Direct quote. This is the exact same e-mail we got back in 2004 when Tom went on indefinite hiatus before.”

from that link above

Ah, fair enough, thanks RC!

• Love 1

from that link above

ah, it happened twice.

Still very weird that Matt is seemingly left in the dark about the band.

18 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

ah, it happened twice.

Yeah. It’s very weird and unlike Mark to do so. Makes me think it’s not as cut and dry as it seems. Matt can be a massive troll on his socials when he wants to be. Could just be him having a bit of fun.

18 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

ah, it happened twice.

I don’t know, I don’t think it’s all that weird given Matt’s position in it. He’s more or less a hired gun and bands are businesses. I doubt he has much say on anything and I doubt he’s behind the scenes for much at all. Travis was more or less in the same boat for a while before Tom and Mark brought him in after years being in the band. 

• Like 2

Gonna be real awkward when we all think Matt’s out and Tom’s coming back but they actually pull in fuckin’ MGK like a terrible bait and switch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

I would assume Matt is contacted when he’s need to tour or record or market. It’s not like they’re even pulling him in to write songs either … regardless of how you feel about the past few albums, they’ve mostly been bought and paid for music.

• Like 3