The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

The weird thing about all this hysteria is that the media who have talked about it have all referenced Tom posting a throwback pic as their supposed reason for reporting on the rumors. But Tom has posted tons of throwback pics of Blink over the years... I just counted 14 Blink-related instagram posts just in 2022 haha. Tom adding Blink 182 to his bio would make more sense to get excited about, but the articles all reference the throwback pic.

Either the media are morons (most likely) OR there actually is some kind of smoke to the fire that some music biz people know enough to hint about.

• Like 7

Just now, Kay said:

Why the fuck would she mention it again with the shit she received haha

i don't know, she said that yesterday so many people called the radio and "wanted to talk with the boss" about her and they sent her death threats, some real karens 

4 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

The weird thing about all this hysteria is that the media who have talked about it have all referenced Tom posting a throwback pic as their supposed reason for reporting on the rumors. But Tom has posted tons of throwback pics of Blink over the years... Either the media are morons (most likely) OR there actually is some kind of smoke to the fire that some music biz people know enough to hint about.

I think they’re just morons and unaware of the past. An article kibbles posted here last night as evidence that Tom is still coming back said that Tom posted a pic of the original lineup from 1992, and the pic had Travis in it. These people don’t know anything about the situation. The rumor mill started going strong because of overzealous fans and they just picked up on it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bojangles said:

Also I’d like to add, I’m glad these forums still exist. You guys might be the most level headed blink fans on the internet congrats. Lmao

Ok I’ll go back to lurking the forums until some actual news comes out again.

Wow that’s terrifying if true lol, it’s probably because we’re all frighteningly old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

9 minutes ago, bojangles said:

Also I’d like to add, I’m glad these forums still exist. You guys might be the most level headed blink fans on the internet congrats. Lmao

Ok I’ll go back to lurking the forums until some actual news comes out again.

These types of message boards were always the best, it's not even close in my mind. I'm glad this one still exists.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

These types of message boards were always the best, it's not even close in my mind. I'm glad this one still exists.

i can’t even follow the discord. reddit just irritates me. this was always so much more clear lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Blink 182 Online is definitely at 100% responsible for taking the Timeline Thread to a whole another level, it's mind blowing to say that it now has it's own website!

The Timeline Website goes hand in hand with the forums haha that's why I've stayed active on the forums because it really feels like an amazing place surrounded by some OG fans as well!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Elisa said:

lol kinda hilarious that the place known as give your other cheek island (or whatever davey and mark call it) is going after the radio host  

And compare that to here, where a poster yesterday said that he still feuded with me mostly out of respect for our 15 year tradition of making fun of each other 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Crab 1

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

And compare that to here, where a poster yesterday said that he still feuded with me mostly out of respect for our 15 year tradition of making fun of each other 😆

You know, I can understand that pov lol
I'm not 100% sure why you and I bicker as much as we do. Outside of the histrionics we assign to the things each other says, we pretty much agree on everything. Still, traditions and respect and all that, so eat a dick, Ghent. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I listened to Hey I’m Sorry on repeat on my way to work today. That one and Black Rain are still fun to listen to every once in awhile.

Nine > Cali in my book but I’d have to re-listen to both again to compare.

I no longer care how blink works on songs. Just keep Feldman at bay please like they did on Nine.

1 hour ago, Thibaut182 said:

Blink 182 Online is definitely at 100% responsible for taking the Timeline Thread to a whole another level, it's mind blowing to say that it now has it's own website!

The Timeline Website goes hand in hand with the forums haha that's why I've stayed active on the forums because it really feels like an amazing place surrounded by some OG fans as well!

yes thats realy something

Okay so, since it was the anniversary and we’ve been talking about Nine, I thought I’d try it again.

If you’re remotely interested check the spoiler but to TLDR - I still don’t like it and I’m sick of trying, if you don’t want to read a very aged Nine rant ignore me.

Spoiler

Instead of super active listening, I decided to give it a passive go while playing Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 + 2. I got into punk because of the originals and I’m in the middle of getting 100% on everything so why not, blast Nine while me and Kareem Campbell slam through Venice Beach. 

It was half way through the first track that I remembered what I didn’t like about the album but also realised some reasons I hadn’t noticed. Not necessarily the bands fault, just my personal taste.

I don’t think this style of glossy punk pop suits either of their voices. At all. Marks voice struggles so much but it’s just a lot harder to roll with it when he sings about things that just don’t suit him. It makes me dislike his voice which is insane because for years he was one of my favourites.

Matt is resorted to screamy banshee man which is terrible.

When I was first listening to this record when it came out I hadn’t listened to many of Travis’s side production bits. In the wake of the ridiculous wave of randoms and MGK this album sounds like… all of them. You could swap Mark out shove MGK in honestly. The songs bleed together and they all have a simple, overly repeated and mildly grating chorus. 

There’s also a lot of the same little production bits going on that don’t aid the sameyness. The autotuned choral harmonies, the flangey effected drums… it’s just everywhere, as well as repeated melody lines - like the first line of the Heaven chorus is the exact melody of the first line in the chorus of Bored To Death.

I had moments where the next song would start and involuntarily I’d immediately groan on recognition despite focusing on my fucking 5 ollie the bums goal.

Some moments worse than others, Blame It On My Youth being especially awful.

Its not all bad - there were moments or parts that were okay but then the samey stuff would happen and I’d be back to grumbling.

My wife came downstairs and complained at my music which made me laugh, I told her it was blink and she looked at me confused, went on her phone for a few songs while I was gaming and then I got told off “this is fucking annoying, it’s like one long song” which resulted in me turning it off at No Heart To Speak Of.

I’d intended to leave it on as I was just going through the levels and it’s definitely not the worst background music I’ve had (some of the games actual soundtrack is appalling, some of the newer additions anyway) but she wanted to watch TV so there we are.

I might try this method for California, I think it might fair better than Nine did. But my main takeaway is - it sounds like all the other shit in the modern scene that doesn’t interest me. And thats that.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wannabe corn dog said:

apparently travis posted a pic of a VMAs set list he's playing with MGK and at the bottom it shows mark as a guest for rock show and atst. it's more than likely MGK will sing atst but who knows

When are the VMAs??