The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Watched Riding in Vans with Boys last night. It's crazy how much cooler tom was before he tried to be someone he's not.

That movie always makes me happy. The funny shit and the soundtrack are perfect.

Maybe Tom was always like the way he is now... and everything you saw of Tom back then (music videos/DVDs/interviews) was pre-approved/encouraged by the label.

Even Green Day said that all Tom did on that tour was sit on his own bus.

Maybe he dragged himself off the bus a few nights to get some money shots for the DVD.

Watched Riding in Vans with Boys last night. It's crazy how much cooler tom was before he tried to be someone he's not.

That movie always makes me happy. The funny shit and the soundtrack are perfect.

Maybe Tom was always like the way he is now... and everything you saw of Tom back then (music videos/DVDs/interviews) was pre-approved/encouraged by the label.

Maybe he dragged himself off the bus a few nights to get some money shots for the DVD.

Really?  you're really going to throw that out their as an idea?  He wanted to start a punk rock band from the start.  I mean look at Flyswatter and then look at Dude Ranch and tell me that you have trouble believing that Tom went from the label-less band of blink with the demos of flyswatter and buddha (and the 93 demo) to the band that made Cheshire and Dude Ranch under a label.  There really is no difference, there certainly is an evolution, but it was always in the same vein of music/style.  So to say that the Tom that we all knew and loved prior to the breakup of blink was all only encouraged by a label would be a very foolish thing to even suggest.  Not to mention Box Car Racer.  Look at that album, it was something that Tom had done in his free time, it was more serious, but also still rooted in his punk past.  It was an album that never had to be.  The label never approached him and said make an album like this, no, Tom just wrote darker music because thats what he wanted to and thats what he was feeling at that time.

It doesn't seem coincidental to me that AVA came about at a time in Tom's life when his pain killer abuse was at its worst.  Never once was a record label telling Tom how to convey his image.  You'd be an idiot to think otherwise.

Really?  you're really going to throw that out their as an idea?  He wanted to start a punk rock band from the start.  I mean look at Flyswatter and then look at Dude Ranch and tell me that you have trouble believing that Tom went from the label-less band of blink with the demos of flyswatter and buddha (and the 93 demo) to the band that made Cheshire and Dude Ranch under a label.  There really is no difference, there certainly is an evolution, but it was always in the same vein of music/style.  So to say that the Tom that we all knew and loved prior to the breakup of blink was all only encouraged by a label would be a very foolish thing to even suggest.  Not to mention Box Car Racer.  Look at that album, it was something that Tom had done in his free time, it was more serious, but also still rooted in his punk past.  It was an album that never had to be.  The label never approached him and said make an album like this, no, Tom just wrote darker music because thats what he wanted to and thats what he was feeling at that time.

It doesn't seem coincidental to me that AVA came about at a time in Tom's life when his pain killer abuse was at its worst.  Never once was a record label telling Tom how to convey his image.  You'd be an idiot to think otherwise.

I agree...

And when/where did Green Day say all he did was sit on the bus? Not that it matters that much though. It's just one tour and who cares what he did with his free time?

You'd have to be an obsessive AVA fag (which you are) to think that Tom was a space douche his entire life and his entire time with blink was an act encouraged by the label. If it was an act you wouldn't see his true personality shining through all the time while in AVA.

it was TRAVIS they were talking about. just watch the movie, you see Tom messing around all the time.

I hadnt read something so retarded in a long time.

And when/where did Green Day say all he did was sit on the bus? Not that it matters that much though. It's just one tour and who cares what he did with his free time?

it was TRAVIS they were talking about. just watch the movie, you see Tom messing around all the time.

Nope it was Tom. It came from a 2002 Kerrang interview with Green day where they basically knocked Blink 182. They talked about how they "blew Blink 182 out of the water" every single night of the PDT. There was a lot of jealously there. Green Day knew they weren't as popular at the time and had band drama going on.

Tre talked about how Tom sat on the bus and never came out. This started the Tom/Tre feud which exists to some extent to this day. Tom said in a recent interview that Tre is "half retarded".

It has been said that Tom is pretty standoffish.

Tom changed because of the drugs, the emotional ride of Blink 182 breaking up, and god knows what other personal issue. He turned to AVA as an outlet and it changed him even more.

Nope it was Tom. It came from a 2002 Kerrang interview with Green day where they basically knocked Blink 182. They talked about how they "blew Blink 182 out of the water" every single night of the PDT. There was a lot of jealously there. Green Day knew they weren't as popular at the time and had band drama going on.

Tre talked about how Tom sat on the bus and never came out. This started the Tom/Tre feud which exists to some extent to this day. Tom said in a recent interview that Tre is "half retarded".

It has been said that Tom is pretty standoffish.

Tom changed because of the drugs, the emotional ride of Blink 182 breaking up, and god knows what other personal issue. He turned to AVA as an outlet and it changed him even more.

I do remember that interview.  It just seemed to me that Green Day were pissed off that they weren't the final headliner of the tour, while blink was, so they found whatever little thing that pissed them off and exaggerated it greatly.  I mean this even seems obvious while watching Riding in Vans with Boys.

Yeah, I seriously think he slaps these remixes together in like 15 minutes. Probably why only one of them has ever gotten popular.

that is a good point.........sometimes i don't get it why every travis barker remix is like required to have blaring guitars going on in it.  You'd think that he'd start to get at least somewhat creative with it, but whatever.

if he's on kimmel, i guess that'll be interesting.  prolly not gunna say anything about blink thoguh......

travis barker is on jimmy kimmel live tonight. GF called to tell me.

GF win.

Interviewed or just playing a song.  If he's being interviewed it may be worth checking out.

just looked online and read the following:

"Justin Bieber, musical guest Travis Barker featuring Game and Swizz Beats ."

Why won't Justin Bieber just go away?

At least he got rid of the Jonas brothers. I know, he's worse. But give it time and he will be gone as well.

Once he grows out of his viable market, he will need talent to continue to gain success. He has none.

As far as Travis goes, I have little interest seeing him perform. An interview would be nice. Oh well.