Songwriter's General Discussion

Speedo

Was writing / recording a short idea for the band and we decided to just try it as is in rehearsals yesterday. first time I've written a 'short' song, it's like 1.30, maybe less. They're chuffed with it as it is and want to just keep it that short. It weirdly bounces from heavy to light hearted like 8 times. Pretty fun! 

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Bucko said:

So I came up with this acoustic song, but I can not put any words to it. Help. 

This is really beautiful! I tried to make some lyrics, maybe they don't fit the autumn theme, but in a way they do. I also didn't know if there was a chorus or anything. 

Flowerbed

I woke up in bed
Can't remember what I said
With tulips in my mouth
And daffodils on my feet
Wish I had you by my side
And Lord knows I have tried
I have rosetinted glasses
And sunflowers on my sheets

Everytime we meet
I want to bring you flowers
How could something so sweet
Turn so sour?
I only need a sign
Like a bed of blooming flowers
And If only you were mine
This whole world could be ours

I fell asleep in bed
With thoughts of you in my head
The moment I woke up
I started sowing seeds
And this is the closest
I've been to being stung by roses
And ever since that day
I've been wacking the weeds

Everytime we meet
Turn so sour?
I only need a sign
This whole wide world could be ours

• Like 1

21 hours ago, thongrider said:

This is really beautiful! I tried to make some lyrics, maybe they don't fit the autumn theme, but in a way they do. I also didn't know if there was a chorus or anything. 

Flowerbed

I woke up in bed
Can't remember what I said
With tulips in my mouth
And daffodils on my feet
Wish I had you by my side
And Lord knows I have tried
I have rosetinted glasses
And sunflowers on my sheets

Everytime we meet
Turn so sour?
I only need a sign
This whole world could be ours

I fell asleep in bed
With thoughts of you in my head
The moment I woke up
I started sowing seeds
And this is the closest
I've been to being stung by roses
And ever since that day
I've been wacking the weeds

Everytime we meet
Turn so sour?
I only need a sign
This whole wide world could be ours

I really like them thank you! and it definitely gives me something to play around with so thank you. I have ideas how I want the vocal melody to go, but at the minute it's still in the idea phase. It was originally 2 completely different songs that I couldn't get to go anywhere and then I tried merging them together. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, thongrider said:

Anyone else feel very empty when you're done with songs you've spent quite some time on? 

Most of the time it takes to long for me to get a "in my ears" finished song to release so i immidiately start on something else. When the old song actually comes out, i almost forget about it, which i really enjoy. After a couple months i might listen back and like it again :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys I need help, I really want to record some songs but everytime I go to record I get mad anxiety and cannot get a take down.  I could play a thousand songs on tempo all instruments in a row and sound fine but as soon as I link up to a mic and a mix I get so stuck.  I've tried moving to different rooms, moving the mic/computer around, liquor, beer, my friends house, a studio, an office space.  I get weird nerves and I don't know why.

Any suggestions?  I don't think I have an option for find an isolated place with no humans in remote distance.

1 hour ago, Jan's Plan said:

Guys I need help, I really want to record some songs but everytime I go to record I get mad anxiety and cannot get a take down.  I could play a thousand songs on tempo all instruments in a row and sound fine but as soon as I link up to a mic and a mix I get so stuck.  I've tried moving to different rooms, moving the mic/computer around, liquor, beer, my friends house, a studio, an office space.  I get weird nerves and I don't know why.

Any suggestions?  I don't think I have an option for find an isolated place with no humans in remote distance.

Something that semi works for me is to count 1,2,3,4 and breathe in on 1 and out on 2. 

2 hours ago, Jan's Plan said:

I'd suggest to just to keep on trying. even if you'll produce a lot of takes that are rubbish, you'll get used to record yourself. Maybe try to record a cover of an easy song you love to get started?

Force yourself to record something and know it's going to suck. I get in similar loops, I just get so anxious that I don't try, so sometimes I just go into it telling myself it'll be shitty but to get it done anyway and most of the time it works out better than you think. Do it and suck because then you can do it again. No one has to hear it if it sucks, you just dont share it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jan's Plan said:

Things don't have to be done in one take, just relax, play a bit, pause it, stand up and walk it off, get back and record a bit, pause it and rinse and repeat! Know that this is your stuff, not anyone else. 

Music is supposed to be fun, stop thinking would be my advice

5 hours ago, Jan's Plan said:

Welcome to recording. You just have to learn how to get past it. Every musician that records has their own ritual or habit that helps them. If I'm recording guitar part I always keep and extra pick in my mouth, if it's vocals then I tend to put my hands in my back pockets. Its about finding something that you can control without thinking about it.

I appreciate the feedback.  It's nice to know it's not abnormal.

I've found out today that doing a demo guide track first tends to help but kind of muddies it up so can't hear your new take as well.

I'm reading doing the bass/drums first is the best way but I feel more comfortable leading with the guitar (but also harder to keep tempo)

2 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

I appreciate the feedback.  It's nice to know it's not abnormal.

I've found out today that doing a demo guide track first tends to help but kind of muddies it up so can't hear your new take as well.

I'm reading doing the bass/drums first is the best way but I feel more comfortable leading with the guitar (but also harder to keep tempo)

Using a beat box is a good idea.