Songwriter's General Discussion

Speedo

I started a new band. We are a duo, we wanted to sing in Icelandic (so sorry for not understanding the lyrics!). I’ve always written pop, alt, rock music but wanted to do a little poppier and happier kind of thing. This song is translated to “Bright Nights” because the sun never goes down here and it doesnt get dark, so its our ode to summer if you will. Anyway... here it is

https://open.spotify.com/track/01ijpATRTLfY3hxjZ0GdBn?si=fZF9Hda0REqgLxOAKutFDw

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on a new song. I have recorded all the music and probably won't record the vocals until three weeks or so. I still haven't got the melody or lyrics. So I'm gonna see what comes in three weeks after listening to the instrumental track. It's a way I've never worked before. 

• Like 1

I finally have my bass back from my brother, first time I've played in 6+ years. 

I've come up with about about 3 or 4 bass lines now, 1 which I think is unbelievably catchy. I've actually written lyrics for the first time in years too, I think listening to bands I love put music out with shit lyrics makes me feel a bit better about my own shit lyrics. I've never been good with words, or story telling so yeah this is what quarantine has done haha. 

I find songs happen so much easier when I play my bass first, but then I'm nowhere near as good at guitar so writing a good guitar part  seems to take forever. 

I have songs that are almost 10 years old that I've never recorded, my brother has a studio and says he will help me out but I'm gonna have a first bash at it through my £9 irig and garageband on my ipad 😄.

Also, @Reg I think your song is great and the production is top class. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 11:41 AM, Bucko said:

I finally have my bass back from my brother, first time I've played in 6+ years. 

I've come up with about about 3 or 4 bass lines now, 1 which I think is unbelievably catchy. I've actually written lyrics for the first time in years too, I think listening to bands I love put music out with shit lyrics makes me feel a bit better about my own shit lyrics. I've never been good with words, or story telling so yeah this is what quarantine has done haha. 

I find songs happen so much easier when I play my bass first, but then I'm nowhere near as good at guitar so writing a good guitar part  seems to take forever. 

I have songs that are almost 10 years old that I've never recorded, my brother has a studio and says he will help me out but I'm gonna have a first bash at it through my £9 irig and garageband on my ipad 😄.

Also, @Reg I think your song is great and the production is top class. 

Thank you! Awesome to hear 😛

• 2 weeks later...

This is started from a bass line I had for a chorus. My brothers going to help me record it properly in a few weeks, this was recorded on my ipad through the £9 irig and garageband lol. 

It literally is just me jamming over the bass line with guitar and making it up as I go along. 

There's only three tracks, bass, rythym and lead. I'm please with it as a starting point anyway, what do you guys think? 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So I've been recording my album for a long time but in the past year I took a step back and just recorded whenever I felt up for it. Depression is a killer and doesn't help that I've been through a lot of shit from the end of last year up to fairly recently. I've had people in the family die as well as a best friend that pretty much meant the world to me. One of my grand parents has turned blind and not to mention the fucking awful year of 2020 with the whole pandemic, so outside of some family and a couple of friends, I've barely seen anyone or been anywhere.

In the past week or two, I've gone back to recording most days again and slowly getting my motivation back. I'm actually recording some vocals today for the song I've been recording recently. Also today I've put another new track onto YouTube (Spotify & Apple Music too). I actually recorded this over a year ago but I'm proud of it.

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

10s are for people who are too weak for 11s (or thicker), but too insecure to play 9s.

11s and thicker are flat and have no sustain. There's a reason they're used for distortion heavy music. They're great if you wanna play hard and not break a string but you won't get other than shit low end from them.

• Wow 1