Songwriter's General Discussion

Speedo

10 hours ago, He Is Risen said:

11s and thicker are flat and have no sustain. There's a reason they're used for distortion heavy music. They're great if you wanna play hard and not break a string but you won't get other than shit low end from them.

Sometimes you have to "calibrate" your guitar for thicker strings. If you play with 12s for example you get plenty of more sustain than 10s if your guitar is set up right. You will also get a much fuller sound, but don't expect to bend those mofos 

5 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

Sometimes you have to "calibrate" your guitar for thicker strings. If you play with 12s for example you get plenty of more sustain than 10s if your guitar is set up right. You will also get a much fuller sound, but don't expect to bend those mofos 

If you play 12s, then god has left your heart.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I loaded the old album to CDBaby to put it up on Spotify and other streaming services and they rejected the artwork (first spoiler tag) because it used potentially copyrighted images of social media/public figures. Fucking lame. Anyway, so now the demos will have my friend's cat licking it's asshole as the artwork (second spoiler).

Spoiler

IMG-20201203-WA0005-1.jpg

Spoiler

IMG-20201229-WA0002.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I never really bothered with Alkaline Trio before, I mean I've heard and like a few of their songs but I never sat down and learned any of them ... I was fucking around this morning and figured out Armageddon. It kind of opened my eyes vocally ... I never really spent anytime figure out my vocal range or keys, I always just sort of sang the best I could to varying degrees of success (mostly failure). Learning Armageddon, I found myself singing and matching Skiba's vocals on the verses comfortably and a lightbulb went off. I spent the rest of the day reworking my own songs into different keys to better suit my vocals ... my voice is an instrument now ... a shitty one ... but an instrument nonetheless ... my voice is a First Act guitar ... my voice is a kazoo.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hail Satan said:

I never really bothered with Alkaline Trio before, I mean I've heard and like a few of their songs but I never sat down and learned any of them ... I was fucking around this morning and figured out Armageddon. It kind of opened my eyes vocally ... I never really spent anytime figure out my vocal range or keys, I always just sort of sang the best I could to varying degrees of success (mostly failure). Learning Armageddon, I found myself singing and matching Skiba's vocals on the verses comfortably and a lightbulb went off. I spent the rest of the day reworking my own songs into different keys to better suit my vocals ... my voice is an instrument now ... a shitty one ... but an instrument nonetheless ... my voice is a First Act guitar ... my voice is a kazoo.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, that song is quite low as well so it's interesting, curious to hear what you do with it. 

On 1/24/2021 at 3:21 PM, thongrider said:

I'm gonna record some stuff again. I'm not really that happy with it, but I think recording these meh songs will maybe make me see something in them I haven't yet, or even better, inspire me to write better songs. 

I was going to ask earlier but forgot at the time, do you live close to where the landslide happened? I saw it on the news, jarring af 

3 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

I was going to ask earlier but forgot at the time, do you live close to where the landslide happened? I saw it on the news, jarring af 

Quite far away, but it's pretty devastating. And we got a deadly fire in another part of the country where most of the victims were children. It's not been a good start of the year for Norway. 

• 4 weeks later...

I got interviewed for a podcast recently, just talking about songwriting, and my God it was a cool discussion. mostly talking about emotional songwriting and how it impacts life and mental health and stuff. easily the best interview I've had haha. 

I never have those kinds of discussions with people so it was truly fascinating to talk to another songwriter like that. when it comes out I shall link ya'll, if you wanna hear me douche it up for like an hour. 

• Like 3

I have finally finished the songs needed for the 2 projects I have in the works. 24 songs written in total, ended up using 20 of them between the 2. I am quite fucking proud of this, I had writer's block for years. It's nice to get it all out. 

20210224-093044.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 4:36 PM, Wrath of Margie Whipple said:

I have finally finished the songs needed for the 2 projects I have in the works. 24 songs written in total, ended up using 20 of them between the 2. I am quite fucking proud of this, I had writer's block for years. It's nice to get it all out. 

20210224-093044.jpg

You really should have I don’t care and American love on the same record