Songwriter's General Discussion

Speedo

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Hex said:

I've been thinking of switching up my picks lately, maybe going for something thicker, maybe a .88 or even a 1.0.

I can't use anything thinner than 1.0 for electric, genuinely can't imagine it tbh, .88 is passable for acoustic. 

3 hours ago, Kay said:

I can't use anything thinner than 1.0 for electric, genuinely can't imagine it tbh, .88 is passable for acoustic. 

I use .60 for electric and acoustic, I'm pretty heavy handed and always worried about breaking strings with heavier picks. 

1 hour ago, Hex said:

I use .60 for electric and acoustic, I'm pretty heavy handed and always worried about breaking strings with heavier picks. 

Christ that would drive me nuts, must be flappy as fuck. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

First time in a while I've written something quickly, roughly recorded it for reference, and then listened to it on repeat because I genuinely like it a lot. 

Like the recording is pants and I've given myself chord notes in the beginning but, idk, is it just me lol ?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is there anyone here on this board willing to take up a “producer” role?

I’m finally getting around to putting out a new album using the old demos we never got the chance to arrange and develop properly to make album worthy versions. Unfortunately, I’m a bit rusty and it would really help to bounce ideas back and forth and have someone involved with the arrangement area.

It’s a lot to ask but any takers?

• 4 weeks later...

I’m running on 3 hours of sleep and it’s killing my patience. A while back I wrote an intro for a song on guitar that’s meant to be on bass. It works well on guitar but bass is too low and it just gets muddy. I need to figure out another way to play the damn thing.

14 hours ago, Speedo said:

I’m running on 3 hours of sleep and it’s killing my patience. A while back I wrote an intro for a song on guitar that’s meant to be on bass. It works well on guitar but bass is too low and it just gets muddy. I need to figure out another way to play the damn thing.

Why don't you just play it on guitar if it works that way?

4 hours ago, Neal said:

Why don't you just play it on guitar if it works that way?

I wanted it to be a bass intro … I mean, you’re right, obviously but I just had something different in my head that didn’t pan out. I did end up recording it on guitar though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

When I was 12 or 13 I took guitar lessons for a bit, the instructor gave me a bag of .60 picks. Eventually I dropped the classes and when I took guitar back up again at 16 I still had the bag of picks with my old guitar gear. I learned guitar on them and have been using them ever since. The fact that Tom and a plethora of other artist use them is just a happy coincidence.