Songwriter's General Discussion

Speedo

On my fourteenth birthday, my dad took me to the Pawn SHop and bought me a Silvertone Acoustic. That same day, while waiting for my grandfather, I played for about an hour, learning Smoke on the Water and other chords. After a string snapped, I didn't play for a while. Then, at the beginning of my sophomore year, I took a guitar class and started picking my old guitar back up. I fixed it and played nonstop. Eventually I got a Les Paul, and here I am today, writing songs and jamming out.

On 3/21/2019 at 3:06 AM, Neal said:

So this was the demo we went to record last december.

This is what it turned out like in the studio ?

It's very different and I still have a soft spot for the demo, but I'm glad we changed things up for once.

might be too poppy for some, what do you guys think?

I like the demo version better. It flows pretty well and an easy listen.  

The studio version, to me, sounds like a band that doesn't want to be mainstream being forced to sound more mainstream against their will

On 3/21/2019 at 8:06 AM, Neal said:

It's very different and I still have a soft spot for the demo, but I'm glad we changed things up for once.

Yeah tbh I also prefer the demo version. like there's nothing wrong with the studio version, I am impressed with how different it sounds, but the demo version just works better for me personally. 

I havea potentially exciting project coming up, if it comes to fruition. it's not really a band, it's more of a writing and recording experiment but if it works I'm going to be over the moon. I don't want to get into it incase it's just another scheme of mine that never actually happens but we'll see. 

On 3/21/2019 at 9:06 AM, Neal said:

I like the new version a lot more, great job! Sounds a lot like Timo Räisänen imo
When does it hit spotify? I want this on my playlist

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:55 PM, Since88 said:

I like the new version a lot more, great job! Sounds a lot like Timo Räisänen imo
When does it hit spotify? I want this on my playlist

Thanks guys for the feedback! The Song is out now on Spotify. Thanks for adding this to your playlist man

@Kay, any news on your new Project?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 8:48 AM, Neal said:

Thanks guys for the feedback! The Song is out now on Spotify. Thanks for adding this to your playlist man

@Kay, any news on your new Project?

We've gotten other musicians on board, which is great - the problem is my new band is booking studio time and getting it's first gigs sorted so I'm putting a pin in the project until we get into a rhythm because I don't want to stall the band for this one off thing. I also might be going into the studio soon to record a standalone single. I kept performing one of my latest songs during a BOTB competition and it was like, stun the audience into silence level of emotionally heavy and I really want to get a decent recording of it out there. so I suddenly have a lot on musically when previously I had nothing, because I'm a silly sod.

1 hour ago, Kay said:

We've gotten other musicians on board, which is great - the problem is my new band is booking studio time and getting it's first gigs sorted so I'm putting a pin in the project until we get into a rhythm because I don't want to stall the band for this one off thing. I also might be going into the studio soon to record a standalone single. I kept performing one of my latest songs during a BOTB competition and it was like, stun the audience into silence level of emotionally heavy and I really want to get a decent recording of it out there. so I suddenly have a lot on musically when previously I had nothing, because I'm a silly sod.

Awesome. Sounds like there's a lot going musicwise. Looking forward to hear that song

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 9:51 AM, Neal said:

Awesome. Sounds like there's a lot going musicwise. Looking forward to hear that song

so my news is I'm recording that in June, and the dude who did my last music video is on board to do one for this song too, which is awesome!

outside of that I wrote a solo number today that might be one of the strongest songs I've written in years. surprised myself a little. it's horribly derivative but I cant stop playing it so it must be a bit good haha

EDIT - that new song i mentioned, crappy recording here - 

• Love 3

On 5/11/2019 at 4:28 PM, Kay said:

so my news is I'm recording that in June, and the dude who did my last music video is on board to do one for this song too, which is awesome!

outside of that I wrote a solo number today that might be one of the strongest songs I've written in years. surprised myself a little. it's horribly derivative but I cant stop playing it so it must be a bit good haha

I really liked that song, looking forward to the recording

Question: Du you talk with more brittish accent than you sing with? Cause I don't think you had that much of an accent there. If so, you should use it more, Brittish accent is beautiful in music!

1 hour ago, Since88 said:

I really liked that song, looking forward to the recording

Question: Du you talk with more brittish accent than you sing with? Cause I don't think you had that much of an accent there. If so, you should use it more, Brittish accent is beautiful in music!

Depends on the song, due to the country twang of it melodically the Americanisms come out. Some songs my accent is a lot stronger, but I grew up on a lot of US music so some habits die hard. 

Talking wise yes I'm supremely british lol

Loving this so much! I really like that 'on the fly' feel of a home recording.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kay said:

Depends on the song, due to the country twang of it melodically the Americanisms come out. Some songs my accent is a lot stronger, but I grew up on a lot of US music so some habits die hard. 

Talking wise yes I'm supremely british lol

I would love to hear that first verse with that accent sometime!
I always thought brittish accent makes a song pop for some reason. Josh Franceschi for example, always tries try to hide it, but I always like it when the accent cuts through

1 hour ago, Since88 said:

I would love to hear that first verse with that accent sometime!
I always thought brittish accent makes a song pop for some reason. Josh Franceschi for example, always tries try to hide it, but I always like it when the accent cuts through

It's actually difficult to sing in accent, the British accent is more 'harsh' on certain words and letters so it doesn't flow easily when you sing. I try not to over-american my songs, it's just how i naturally sing, but flowing phrases together sounds similar to an American accent due to the drawl easiness of classic american accents. 

Ohhhhh I love this!!!! Go Kay ❤

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Kay said:

It's actually difficult to sing in accent, the British accent is more 'harsh' on certain words and letters so it doesn't flow easily when you sing. I try not to over-american my songs, it's just how i naturally sing, but flowing phrases together sounds similar to an American accent due to the drawl easiness of classic american accents. 

Yeah I totally get that. I feel that there are more and more that choose to use the accent nowadays though, Bastille being a great example, that "But if you close your eyes" wouldn't be half as catchy with an american accent in my opinion. It all boils down to taste in the end of course