AFI - The Missing Man

radioactive tomdog

this is out now. i just listened to the whole thing. the closing/title track is pretty fucking incredible. talk about redefining the band's sound. 

i still don't really like "get dark" and "back into the sun" seems like it will need time to grow on me. but the other three tracks are some of the best songs they've put out since sing the sorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

2 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

davey-havok-2006-mtv-movie-awards-sony-s

Davey Havok looked so bad in this era. I still find it baffling considering he is a decent looking dude.

He looks ridiculous, yes. But that was what I liked about him. I saw them live in 2006 during the Miss Murder era where he looked like this and was dressed in the white suit and visually it was just a great show. It was weird but in an interesting way.

Now that he is all plain jane, no makeup. Its just not the same. I saw them again in 2010, and it just wasn't the same band.

Plus his voice is shot to shit. Compare the screaming part of Miss Murder in 2006 to a recent video. His voice is done.

7 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Its hard to really blame him, when you do that shit to your vocal chords eventually they are going to say "screw you".

they really can, and it really depends on how you handle yourself, what you do to your VC outside of just singing, aging, genetics, etc.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

He looks ridiculous, yes. But that was what I liked about him. I saw them live in 2006 during the Miss Murder era where he looked like this and was dressed in the white suit and visually it was just a great show. It was weird but in an interesting way.

Now that he is all plain jane, no makeup. Its just not the same. I saw them again in 2010, and it just wasn't the same band.

Plus his voice is shot to shit. Compare the screaming part of Miss Murder in 2006 to a recent video. His voice is done.

i disagree with a lot of what you're saying here. his voice is so far from "shot to shit." his voice has held up better than any other vocalist i can think of that has been around since 1992. especially one who screamed every single word on records from 1996-2000. if you're referring to his screaming, of course it's not as good as it once was. it was destroying his voice, which is why he had surgery and doesn't scream on new songs (could also be a creative decision).

and nobody misses 2006 era AFI. their style, sound, performances were heavily criticized by their fan base at the time. the band actualy dropped Miss Murder from their non-radio festival set lists this year because nobody wants to hear it. davey didn't want it on the album, either. unlike blink, they dig really deep in to their catalogue for set lists now and change them every night. that makes their performances super exciting now compared to their stale 2006 sets.

the miss murder clip you posted was a cheap shot because the rest of that show sounds really great. here's him singing a far more difficult song at the same show. not only is this song older, his voice was higher when he wrote it

• Like 1

@Kevin.

Let me first say, I am a fairly casual AFI fan. I am the equivalent of the guy who goes to Blink shows to just hear the hits.

So I respect your opinion as being a bigger fan, just as I think casual Blink fans should respect hardcore fans opinions. As much as I'd love an AFI show full of the hits, I am totally glad they play the deep cuts for the big time fans. If die hards hated the Miss Murder days, I am glad he ditch it.

But personally, I prefer edgy Davey, the one who screamed, the one who dressed weird. He just looks so damn old and boring in that clip.   Plus I personally think even based on that song you posted, his regular voice is clearly not as good. Plus no screaming is kind of for me, not AFI.

From my understanding, AFI back in the 1990's was like this punk band and everyone went ape shit in 2002 when they "sold out" . Plus at the 2006 show I was at, there were so many weirdos. People grabbning Dave'y leg, his crotch, spitting in his face, bitching he doesn't play any old songs. It was kind of bizarre.

In summary, I am definitly the total opposite of the die hard fan when it comes to AFI. Give me the hits from 2002-2006, in fact I have an entire CD of them that I still listen to. Its a good 20 songs worth. The rest of their stuff is just a big snoozefest for me.

@Donald Trump's Bulge well, he is 43 years old. naturally, everything will be weaker. i'd say he looks pretty awesome for his age. just look at mark and tom. they look and sound like shit. 

with AFI, i think they're far more respectable than any other TRL era band in 2018. they push their sound with every release, put on great shows with different set lists, and they take care of themselves. they also avoid doing "10 year anniversary" shows for albums. to me, that shows confidence in their work. 

• Like 1