What was the turning point for Blink's change in image?

Meltdown Tracker

16 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Takes some pretty "special" reasoning to think that Mark is making blink decision because he needs money and is emotionally broken inside lol

There's a cynical feeling saying I should give up
You said everything you'll ever say

Yup, he's fine. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kay said:

There's a cynical feeling saying I should give up
You said everything you'll ever say

Yup, he's fine. 

So you think the California lyrics are pretty deep and meaningful then, I take it? Interesting

THIS IS ALL A GUESS BASED ON FOLLOWING THE BAND CLOSELY FOR A LONG TIME so you can keep your fan fiction quips, I think we all need to include that disclaimer on every post now:

I don't think Mark is broken inside haha or even necessarily clinging onto fame as much as some people say. I think, like almost every middle aged artist, he lost his fastball and doesn't really have nearly the same kind of inspiration/creative spark that he used to, and so he tries to manufacture the same effect by relying on more people and different types of collaborators and techniques that can pick up the slack.

I think there was a long time (definitely up until +44, and somewhat during the reunion era) when he cared a LOT about using music to express himself, whether it was writing about his life, or making insane comedy, or navigating tough feelings/emotions, but now after some really bitter times he simply wants to have fun. He's not torn up (like some of us are) over collaborating with pop writers, because he just wants to get another album out that might have a hit because it's fun to have a hit. Handing over the keys to his kingdom a little bit is fine for him because he wants to be over the drama of the past decade and he's not really using the band for the same purpose in his life anymore. He uses it for fun and to enjoy the perks of being known as a godfather of pop punk.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Elisa said:

Speaking of Green ethan, and I know their music sucks now, but I saw this picture on instagram a few days ago and it kinda made me sad because blink were never friends like that. You can't have everything I guess. 

Definitely, but the tension is part of what brings good music, or it can get stale, like green day if no one challenges the other.

Not saying they didn't but I'm gonna go ahead and say Green Day music aged like crap, Blink's is twice as good and I used to be big on green day. It's legit the same 3 songs over and over again.  Blink was better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Green Day's Revolution Radio album was decent. Nothing on it was trash like some of the California songs. But nothing on it is amazing like some of the California songs either.

I don't remember any amazing California songs. I remember some pretty good California song.

22 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

Definitely, but the tension is part of what brings good music, or it can get stale, like green day if no one challenges the other.

Not saying they didn't but I'm gonna go ahead and say Green Day music aged like crap, Blink's is twice as good and I used to be big on green day. It's legit the same 3 songs over and over again.  Blink was better.

You're right. Blink has always been an in-your-face/all-or-nothing type of band. They've shown that they were capable of stretching their range without losing their identity while Green Day's music, even when it's good, it's still a bit stale and hasn't aged gracefully. I know I'd rather have blink's timeless discography but seeing Billie Joe, Mike and Tre all together for Tre's birthday and being great friends for over 30 years really makes you wonder about blink.. or not. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Elisa said:

You're right. Blink has always been an in-your-face/all-or-nothing type of band. They've shown that they were capable of stretching their range without losing their identity while Green Day's music, even when it's good, it's still a bit stale and hasn't aged gracefully. I know I'd rather have blink's timeless discography but seeing Billie Joe, Mike and Tre all together for Tre's birthday and being great friends for over 30 years really makes you wonder about blink.. or not. 

Green Day had counseling as a band ... which is super ethan.

In short, BoxCar Racer was responsible for the image change in my honest opinion.

However, what I would love to ask Mark is... If he was so hurt by BoxCar Racer and Tom wanting to experiment with a new sound, why did he agree to do vocals on 'Elevator'? What did he think of this new sound.

That Weekly Fact interview was also a very interesting read and pretty much confirms that Mark is happy/comfortable releasing the state of the music we are getting now and is very much pushing what he wants in the next album. He also can't describe shit when he suggests a new song sounds like it's coming from untitled/self-titled, he clearly wants to re-live in the Enema era.

Oh, I'm new here so hello I guess...

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Champ182 said:

THIS IS ALL A GUESS BASED ON FOLLOWING THE BAND CLOSELY FOR A LONG TIME so you can keep your fan fiction quips, I think we all need to include that disclaimer on every post now:

I don't think Mark is broken inside haha or even necessarily clinging onto fame as much as some people say. I think, like almost every middle aged artist, he lost his fastball and doesn't really have nearly the same kind of inspiration/creative spark that he used to, and so he tries to manufacture the same effect by relying on more people and different types of collaborators and techniques that can pick up the slack.

I think there was a long time (definitely up until +44, and somewhat during the reunion era) when he cared a LOT about using music to express himself, whether it was writing about his life, or making insane comedy, or navigating tough feelings/emotions, but now after some really bitter times he simply wants to have fun. He's not torn up (like some of us are) over collaborating with pop writers, because he just wants to get another album out that might have a hit because it's fun to have a hit. Handing over the keys to his kingdom a little bit is fine for him because he wants to be over the drama of the past decade and he's not really using the band for the same purpose in his life anymore. He uses it for fun and to enjoy the perks of being known as a godfather of pop punk.

This is the best comment I've read here in a very long time!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Speedo said:

I don't remember any amazing California songs. I remember some pretty good California song.

I'll personally fly to San Antonio and smack you in the head with a guitar if you don't think Long Lost Feeling is an amazing song. Love that song to death.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I'll personally fly to San Antonio and smack you in the head with a guitar if you don't think Long Lost Feeling is an amazing song. Love that song to death.

Lol!

Make sure its a heavy guitar, I don't wanna walk away from it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would be super butthurt if 2/3 of my super popular band ditched me and made an album at our peak, especially when it needed bass work! 

Even if Tom meant no harm, it’s pretty reasonable to assume Mark might be *slightly* bothered, especially once Trav was involved. Tom felt halfway bad at some point and invited Mark to be a guest on Elevator. A last ditch effort to patch that wound, but it was too late. 

I completely understand Tom wanting to experiment, and at that point there was clearly label pressure to stick to their EOTS/TOYPAJ sound. But like most things, communication is key. Seeing your band without you has to feel weird, as if you are the problem or are unable. The irony is Mark/Trav are closer since then, and Tom is on Mars.

• Like 3