What was the turning point for Blink's change in image?

Meltdown Tracker

On 1/29/2019 at 3:36 PM, Champ182 said:

Why?

Well I forget if the album name was revealed before Up All Night released, but I remember myself and a lot of other fans being confused by the name. It signalled a total change by the band to me. 

I can't pinpoint the exact time, but its all around that same month or 2. Up All Night song release, the cringey video, and the album name. I just knew something was off

15 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Well I forget if the album name was revealed before Up All Night released, but I remember myself and a lot of other fans being confused by the name. It signalled a total change by the band to me. 

I can't pinpoint the exact time, but its all around that same month or 2. Up All Night song release, the cringey video, and the album name. I just knew something was off

Interesting! Seems like a pretty run of the mill album title to me, unless maybe the normalness is what threw everyone off?

2 hours ago, Champ182 said:

Interesting! Seems like a pretty run of the mill album title to me, unless maybe the normalness is what threw everyone off?

If I remember correctly, Mark revealed it in an interview and the guy thought he was joking at first. Mark got kind of embarrassed explaining it. I guess we were expecting more of a funny or creative title. Neighborhoods made me think of Mr Rogers Lol. In hindsight the title is fine, but at the time I was like wtf.. 

On 12/14/2018 at 1:37 PM, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

Untitled killed it, started taking themselves too seriously with making that record. 

Agreed.

I actually hate this record too (aside from 2 or 3 songs). I really don't think it's good, and I realize that's probably an unpopular opinion. Neighborhoods is awful too, and so is Dogs Eating Dogs. California could be better. It has some great songs on it, but Feldman ruined the record with the constant "na na na" and overproduction/autotuned vocals. But I don't hate California like I hate Untitled (I refer to it as self titled), Neighborhoods and Dogs Eating Dogs.

But you hit the nail on the head. But if we really want to get technical, Box Car Racer was the beginning of the end and the point at which things changed forever (and not for better).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

Agreed.

I actually hate this record too (aside from 2 or 3 songs). I really don't think it's good, and I realize that's probably an unpopular opinion. Neighborhoods is awful too, and so is Dogs Eating Dogs. California could be better. It has some great songs on it, but Feldman ruined the record with the constant "na na na" and overproduction/autotuned vocals. But I don't hate California like I hate Untitled (I refer to it as self titled), Neighborhoods and Dogs Eating Dogs.

But you hit the nail on the head. But if we really want to get technical, Box Car Racer was the beginning of the end and the point at which things changed forever (and not for better).

I loved Untitled when it came out but over the years it's not aged well for me and I rarely listen to it anymore. I enjoy Neighborhoods for the most part, more so than Untitled but DED is probably my favorite of the new era ... except for PLG ... that song is super g.ay.

California was alright ... it was what it was meant to be an ease into a new line up. It's easily digestible and thats exactly what you want from a band that had a major shake up line up wise.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, blinkstillrules said:

I really wish the Dude Ranch demos would surface.

That would be great, to be honest.

I never understood how blink has anything like that released. I mean, you look at other bands, and they do some demos/bonus tracks releases from time to time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

That would be great, to be honest.

I never understood how blink has anything like that released. I mean, you look at other bands, and they do some demos/bonus tracks releases from time to time.

I know. Fuck we have the Emema demos. I wish Dude Ranch demos would just surface. Someone, somewhere must have them.

13 hours ago, blinkstillrules said:

Agreed.

I definitely agree. Untitled is massively overrated in my opinion, especially on this board. Only a couple songs I enjoy and the rest I skip. It just seems too dark for these guys, rich as fuck with the world at their feet. Living in Sunny Southern California. Just seems ingenuine to be all emo. And it definitley was the turning point for them. Fame and the demands of your band becoming such a large machine/business took its toll and it wasn’t nearly as fun or exciting anymore. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

I loved Untitled when it came out but over the years it's not aged well for me and I rarely listen to it anymore. I enjoy Neighborhoods for the most part, more so than Untitled but DED is probably my favorite of the new era ... except for PLG ... that song is super g.ay.

California was alright ... it was what it was meant to be an ease into a new line up. It's easily digestible and thats exactly what you want from a band that had a major shake up line up wise.

Really good way of putting it for California.