What was the turning point for Blink's change in image?

Meltdown Tracker

12 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

I would be super butthurt if 2/3 of my super popular band ditched me and made an album at our peak, especially when it needed bass work! 

Even if Tom meant no harm, it’s pretty reasonable to assume Mark might be *slightly* bothered, especially once Trav was involved. Tom felt halfway bad at some point and invited Mark to be a guest on Elevator. A last ditch effort to patch that wound, but it was too late. 

I completely understand Tom wanting to experiment, and at that point there was clearly label pressure to stick to their EOTS/TOYPAJ sound. But like most things, communication is key. Seeing your band without you has to feel weird, as if you are the problem or are unable. The irony is Mark/Trav are closer since then, and Tom is on Mars.

Yeah, definitely. I think at first Mark didn't seem too bothered about Boxcar Racer until Travis was there. Wasn't that the time Mark kinda took a break from music related stuff for a few months as well? That may have been why Tom acted on BCR at that moment then just brought in Travis. And like Tom said, he never meant for BCR to be more than a studio project but it ended up turning into a real band with touring, then Mark probably felt even more insecure about that too.

7 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

I would be super butthurt if 2/3 of my super popular band ditched me and made an album at our peak, especially when it needed bass work! 

Even if Tom meant no harm, it’s pretty reasonable to assume Mark might be *slightly* bothered, especially once Trav was involved. Tom felt halfway bad at some point and invited Mark to be a guest on Elevator. A last ditch effort to patch that wound, but it was too late. 

I completely understand Tom wanting to experiment, and at that point there was clearly label pressure to stick to their EOTS/TOYPAJ sound. But like most things, communication is key. Seeing your band without you has to feel weird, as if you are the problem or are unable. The irony is Mark/Trav are closer since then, and Tom is on Mars.

it would never have happened if mark was involved.

tom wanted  mark out of the way. it's clear his issue was not with him personally, just musically.

can't say i blame tom per se, 

15 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Yeah, definitely. I think at first Mark didn't seem too bothered about Boxcar Racer until Travis was there. Wasn't that the time Mark kinda took a break from music related stuff for a few months as well? That may have been why Tom acted on BCR at that moment then just brought in Travis. And like Tom said, he never meant for BCR to be more than a studio project but it ended up turning into a real band with touring, then Mark probably felt even more insecure about that too.

You might be onto something. This could explain why Mark was cool enough with BCR to sing on Elevator but butt-hurt enough to hold a grudge against Tom, and only Tom, for 15 years. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2018 at 2:26 AM, NJansaid said:

Definitely, but the tension is part of what brings good music, or it can get stale, like green day if no one challenges the other.

Not saying they didn't but I'm gonna go ahead and say Green Day music aged like crap, Blink's is twice as good and I used to be big on green day. It's legit the same 3 songs over and over again.  Blink was better.

Nimrod is pretty interesting I'd say. 

Green Day is interesting because they undoubtedly wrote PERFECT pop songs that are still legitimately distinct from other pop punk bands. Nobody quite sounds like Green Day. They pushed that as far as they could, but never really ended up evolving once they mastered their original sound, and then softened it in an interesting way with Warning. Even American Idiot was (best case scenario) a mashup and medley of all the Green Day flavors into one giant cohesive album. But when they tried to go even further into stadium ballads and wannabe Queen-style grandiosity it never really clicked and ended up sounding so generic. They got some hits out of stuff like that I guess but it never seemed natural in my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

Green Day is interesting because they undoubtedly wrote PERFECT pop songs that are still legitimately distinct from other pop punk bands. Nobody quite sounds like Green Day. They pushed that as far as they could, but never really ended up evolving once they mastered their original sound, and then softened it in an interesting way with Warning. Even American Idiot was (best case scenario) a mashup and medley of all the Green Day flavors into one giant cohesive album. But when they tried to go even further into stadium ballads and wannabe Queen-style grandiosity it never really clicked and ended up sounding so generic. They got some hits out of stuff like that I guess but it never seemed natural in my opinion.

They definitely were.  It's just after the 1000th time, it's not interesting anymore.  I like Green Day it's just repetitive.  Blink is way more diverse.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kay said:

Warning is the only GD album I like.

Dookie, aged like it's namesake

Insomniac, great but I've no desire to listen to it anymore

Nimrod, a fantastic listen to this day

Warning, my second favorite but the fucking stutter in the last chorus of Church On Sunday makes me angry and so I don't listen to it

American Idiot, really good when I was 15 but I'm not now and so it isn't now

21st Century, see American Idiot, adjust for age at release

Uno, Dos, ethan ... I mean Tre

Revolution Radio, a few decent songs, mostly forgettable

I think every single album by Green Day is way too similar, although they did try to push themselves a bit from American idiot and onwards. I love American Idiot to death but that album is basically the same as everything they've ever done IMO. The reason it stands out is the rock opera side of it and the fact that all the songs are structured so differently. But it's still a similar sound to before. Maybe a bit more polished than previous stuff but that's all.

The 3 trilogy albums were an utter disgrace IMO. They can do way better. Revolution Radio put them back on the right track but they still haven't been as good as American Idiot. 21st Century Breakdown is just American Idiot Part Two to me. They're quite a boring and stale band compared to blink.

3 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I think every single album by Green Day is way too similar, although they did try to push themselves a bit from American idiot and onwards. I love American Idiot to death but that album is basically the same as everything they've ever done IMO. The reason it stands out is the rock opera side of it and the fact that all the songs are structured so differently. But it's still a similar sound to before. Maybe a bit more polished than previous stuff but that's all.

The 3 trilogy albums were an utter disgrace IMO. They can do way better. Revolution Radio put them back on the right track but they still haven't been as good as American Idiot. 21st Century Breakdown is just American Idiot Part Two to me. They're quite a boring and stale band compared to blink.

Warning sounds nothing like Nimrod which sounded nothing like Insomniac which was a step in a more aggressive direction from Dookie.

• Like 1