Jump to content
 
Clar-ke has herpes

What was the turning point for Blink's change in image?

Recommended Posts

funny, i just threw on insomniac, and man, that mix is godawful. i forgot how garbage the drums sound... so, so high end and compressed. like they being played through car door tweeters on AM radio. yikes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Speedo said:

Warning sounds nothing like Nimrod which sounded nothing like Insomniac which was a step in a more aggressive direction from Dookie.

To be honest, it's been ages since I've heard those earlier albums. I just remember them all sounding very samey compared to what blink were. I've never ever found blink samey. Even California is completely different from everything they've ever done IMO outside of like 3-4 songs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2018 at 1:33 AM, daveyjones said:

funny, i just threw on insomniac, and man, that mix is godawful. i forgot how garbage the drums sound... so, so high end and compressed. like they being played through car door tweeters on AM radio. yikes!

Damn. I think it's the best sounding album/drums on any punk album.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:33 PM, Champ182 said:

Green Day is interesting because they undoubtedly wrote PERFECT pop songs that are still legitimately distinct from other pop punk bands. Nobody quite sounds like Green Day. They pushed that as far as they could, but never really ended up evolving once they mastered their original sound, and then softened it in an interesting way with Warning. Even American Idiot was (best case scenario) a mashup and medley of all the Green Day flavors into one giant cohesive album. But when they tried to go even further into stadium ballads and wannabe Queen-style grandiosity it never really clicked and ended up sounding so generic. They got some hits out of stuff like that I guess but it never seemed natural in my opinion.

even the bands they blatantly ripped off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

even the bands they blatantly ripped off?

Haha they absolutely ripped off some songs note for note, no doubt about that and it's lame as hell. I meant more in the modern pop/punk/rock world, their brand of melodies and chord progressions didn't get impersonated as much as Blink's signature single note riffs and stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Haha they absolutely ripped off some songs note for note, no doubt about that and it's lame as hell. I meant more in the modern pop/punk/rock world, their brand of melodies and chord progressions didn't get impersonated as much as Blink's signature single note riffs and stuff.

Yeah, I'm a huge GD fan when it comes to their 90s output and really until American Idiot. But as I've gotten older, I see where they would occasionally take from various artists. It can be rather blatant, but I still consider them to be great musicians and almost unmatched in the pop punk genre in terms of inventiveness and consistency.

I still contend that Warning is their best overall record.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 5:24 PM, _Kyle_ said:

Yeah, I'm a huge GD fan when it comes to their 90s output and really until American Idiot. But as I've gotten older, I see where they would occasionally take from various artists. It can be rather blatant, but I still consider them to be great musicians and almost unmatched in the pop punk genre in terms of inventiveness and consistency.

I still contend that Warning is their best overall record.

I agree about Warning, it's to bad that the follow-up never dissapeared and they decided to do American Idiot instead. It woudl be intersting to hear what it would sound like if they would have continued the more experimental route instead of doing a rock opera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2018 at 8:06 PM, Nosferatu said:

To be honest, it's been ages since I've heard those earlier albums. I just remember them all sounding very samey compared to what blink were. I've never ever found blink samey. Even California is completely different from everything they've ever done IMO outside of like 3-4 songs.

of course california sounds different they lost their lead songwriter and hired a new guitarist

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2018 at 8:53 PM, Speedo said:

Warning sounds nothing like Nimrod which sounded nothing like Insomniac which was a step in a more aggressive direction from Dookie.

Which was a more poppy cooked version of what they did on Kerplunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew this band was in trouble when they didnt release any music in 09. But it was understandable since they reunited in February and then did a full summer tour.

Then 2010 comes and goes and still nothing. That's a huge red flag, even with a second tour

Now its well into 2011 and it took until summer to release a song. A horrible song and a horrible video. Album comes out in September.... 2 years and 8 months after the reunion. Thats an eternity. And then we find out they basically rushed to release it.. Wtf?! They had all the time in the world and a mediocre album is the best they could do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2018 at 7:06 PM, Nosferatu said:

To be honest, it's been ages since I've heard those earlier albums. I just remember them all sounding very samey compared to what blink were. I've never ever found blink samey. Even California is completely different from everything they've ever done IMO outside of like 3-4 songs.

Every Green Day song sounds about the same.  They're very good, if not great at what they do and I liked them quite a bit but they recycle the same 3ish songs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NJansaid said:

Every Green Day song sounds about the same.  They're very good, if not great at what they do and I liked them quite a bit but they recycle the same 3ish songs.

This is why I never really got into them. I listen to a few songs and I feel like I've heard most of it.

It's my opinion that you can have 2, maybe 3 albums that sound pretty similar, but anymore than that just isn't great. You gotta push the boundaries and do something new more often than that to be a great musician/band.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every Green Day album sounds different to me. I still don’t get the idea that all their stuff sounds the same, haha.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can definitely hear the progression. But it isn't as drastic as blink. I find American Idiot just sounds like everything they did previously. All they did was turn 2-3 minute pop punk songs into 10 minute medleys. Warning just sounds more folky or something but it's still typical Green Day to me. Obviously they have done the odd 1-2 songs on each album that's completely different. One song I love is Peacemaker. Fucking love that song.

If there is one band that is even more samey than Green Day, it's the Offspring. Man, that band used to be fucking great. They can still write the odd 1-2 great songs on recent albums. But they've been writing the same album since the late 90's. Very stale and boring band now IMO.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, compared to blink, they were way more diverse in their songwriting up until Untitled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not even just the medleys and chords that are the same throughout, it's the style of song is the exact same.  Oh here's another 4 chord song about the same thing, but LOUDER this time.  I swear Offspring did the same song twice (The kids aren't alright).

I cannot express how much more unique blink is than every other pop/punk band and gets little recognition of it.

How you go from Lemmings and Emo to Dumpweed and WMAA to Roller Coaster and Please Take Me Home to Feeling This and Always and all of Untitled.. to Kaleidoscope and Natives and then become a parody band after all that?  Dynamic and the most interesting band of all time to me... Only to be held back by their lack of content/discography which is a tragedy.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nasa said:

Every Green Day album sounds different to me. I still don’t get the idea that all their stuff sounds the same, haha.

I haven't listened to much of their music, admittedly, so i'm going to do that and get back to you on this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Whales said:

I haven't listened to much of their music, admittedly, so i'm going to do that and get back to you on this.

I do think their songs and albums sound more similar to each other than blink's songs and albums do. Untitled is definitely more different from the rest of blink's discography than American Idiot is from the rest of Green Day's discography. I'd also say that since Green Day has only one vocalist, that can cause a lot of the songs to sound very similar.

With everything up to American Idiot, I would say that Green Day evolved their sound instead of reinventing it like blink did with Untitled. Like the difference between Dookie and nimrod. (but an album called Insomniac came after Dookie and before nimrod., iirc) is kind of akin to the difference between Dude Ranch and Enema of the State.

It's also just a matter of familiarity, I think. All Green Day albums sound different to me because I listened to them to death from 12-17, hah. So it depends on exposure too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...