Game of Thrones - Season 8

Nasa

my critiques with the show are based in D&D running out of book material to work off of and having to come up with ideas on their own. it seems most evident in them choosing to condense the last two seasons, which makes them feel rushed as a result and leaves, at least in me, the desire for them to have fleshed out important things more deeply (e.g. Daenerys going mad queen). GRRM has told them about major plot points and endings from the books, but it’s unclear whether they’ll follow them or not.

i think D&D have taken “GoT subverts expectations” to mean “shock value,” and the “twists” that they put in seem so out of line with what we’ve come to know about the characters that they just don’t make sense. it’s sloppy writing. 

when they had that fakeout shot of Arya lying in the ash and then her riding out of the Red Keep on a white horse with majestic music playing in the background, that’s the point at which i knew D&D think they’re writing for an action movie.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Will dany fry Sansa now? I’ll be fucking seething if Sansa is burned to a crisp

seems highly unlikely to me. i think Jon will kill her before she gets any chance to leave king’s landing.  

6 minutes ago, Nasa said:

also, apologies for the triple post! but the Mountain and the Hound’s fight was by far the best moment of the episode.

The view switches between the Hound and the Mountain's fight and Arya in the stampede were definitely the best moment of the episode. Great cinematrography.  

• Like 1

i wish the Hound had let Arya go with him so that she could’ve killed Cersei, and then she would’ve had to deal with the mental and emotional consequences of becoming a serial murderer. she’s the most “grey” of the Stark children (black and white = good vs. evil—Jon is pretty solidly good) and it would’ve been interesting to see.

but i’m still okay with that scene and with following her escape out of the Red Keep (just the cinematography of it though).

• Like 1

I’m enjoying this season but it has been a shambles imo. It feels so rushed, I’m sat there watching characters die and feeling nothing, they’re not impactful at all. I just think this season has completely let down the whole show, I’m still don’t get the whole white walker thing, it was ridiculous the long night wasn’t the last episode. That Arya scene would of been the most fucking epic scene on tv history if we genuinely didn’t know if the NK was going to just end it all, but we had 3 eps left ffs. Shocking decision imo

• Like 3

Not sure how they gonna defeat Daenerys now. How are they going to get rid of that dragon? I swear to God if Bran somehow manages to control that dragon with his creepy white eyes, that would be incredibly stupid. 

Also, they better not let Arya kill Daenerys by wearing Jon Snow’s face. Seems like Jon is her only weakness now. Which is completely stupid because they have zero chemistry whatsoever. 

I think the writers can do whatever they want with their ending, as long as they respect the events and actions leading up to it (and this should apply to blink and their writers too in some strange way.) They started this season with 7 years of seemigly good material and some important character developments, all they had to do was connecting the dots to some good plot points. But if you rush characters arcs and all the work you did in 7 years to wrap it all up, I think this is even worse than writing a bad ending. 

I don't complain because I was never too much into GOT, I take it as it comes and I enjoy it. But I can see why some people aren't happy with what happened.

I have a total unrelated question though: can the dragon surrender to Jon if he kills Dany? I was thinking this because he is a Targaryen too and also because Thomas D. is right and Arya/Jon/Tyrion and whoever else is left will never be able kill a dragon.

• Like 1

the dragon will probably not be around whenever Jon (not confirmed, but he’s who i think will do it) kills Daenerys, but i don’t know what he’d do next. fly away? hahahah.

anyone else find it weird that the mountain looks earily similar to Varys? That was kinda weird.  I was about to get so pissed off with their fight when it seemed like the Mountain was un killable, but then the way they ended it was satisfying.  Im not horribly mad at what happened this episode but it was kinda depressing watching Dany go full send into mad king mode.

• Like 2