Simple Creatures New Song!

Ghent

19 minutes ago, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

You're viewing simplicity as a lack of talent.

You're assuming that's how I'm viewing it.

I am a student of Mr Delonge's guitar work and whilst he's my biggest inspiration I would not call him 'outstanding' - he just has a style that many of us like. It's not particularly nuanced, original, or deep but it appeals. It makes him an inspirational guitarist, and a fun guitarist but 'outstanding' seems incredibly complimentary for someone who's an alright song writer who has a catchy grasp on octave power chords.

giphy.gif

Sorry Kay, not directing this at you. But Tom really is a wonderful guitarist. He inspired you didn't he?  Same can be said for a lot of current bands, all will say Tom is a big influence of theirs and Dammit got them into guitar is one of the most common things I've heard.  He created a style like you said, and it's memorable.

Isn't that a lot harder to do than be a technical guitar player? Very much so.

Edge nailed it on the head when he said people mistake Tom's simplicity as not being skilled.  That is a skill.  He's knows when to keep it simple and make the song better. I have no doubt in my mind Tom could be a heavy metal guitarist who shreds it up if he wanted to, but he is writing for Pop Punk, and that wouldn't make the song better, and he did it the best and better than anyone else in pop punk genre.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NJansaid said:

But I disagree with the top part, even if Tom wasn't writing lead riffs as much, he was still writing way way better guitar parts than anything on California.  By FAR.

Oh that's definitely true. Skiba wouldn't come up with something as catchy as the riffs from Ghost on the Dance Floor & Wishing Well and he wouldn't come up with cool shit like that PLG delay guitar either. Nor would he come up with those heavy Refused/BCR style riffs from Up All Night & Snake Charmer.

Tom will always be the man for blink when it comes to guitar. No one will ever replace that really. But Skiba needs to take charge still in his own unique way. He needs to leave his prints all over blink as its him that's in the band. But we haven't had that yet because of the way Feldman wants them to work. They really need to make Matt do his thing cause he'd be the perfect fit if that was the case IMO.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

As for Tom being a great guitarist, it depends how you look at it really. From a technical point of view he's probably kinda shit. Has great speed though and there's no one better than him at writing memorable & catchy riffs in the pop punk/punk rock scene IMO. He shows a bit more complex stuff when it comes to live performances. The way he improvises on songs like I Miss You, After Midnight, Down and more shows what he's capable of. No one can do what Tom does better than Tom. I'd say he's a damn good guitarist for what he does. Same goes for Mark on the bass.

• Like 1

I mean he wrote stuff like Wasting Time when he was what, 17?  It's not Michael Angelo Batio but it's pretty technical.  He didn't get worse at guitar, he realized playing as fast as you can and shredding doesn't make for a better song.

The shit Tom writes is honestly impressive.  It's just always fresh.  I'm talking pre AVA love shit btw.

• Like 2

Just the fact that the two biggest guitar manufacturers wanted to do signature modells for him is proof of how influential he really was. Those guitars flew of the rack and so many kids started to play guitar because of him. Me included.

He doesnt write the most techical stuff, but damn the guy is extraordinary with pop melody an catchy riffs. You cant learn that. He is just super talented in that department

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Skiba is a way better songwriter than any dude from ATL. Never cared much about his guitar playing ability. It's punk rock though. Sure, I'd like a few actual riffs now and then, but even with Tom, later blink songs started having less of those lead guitar riffs anyway. I've really tried to listen to ATL before. Even their early shit which seems to be loved. But I can't get into them. They're all trash to me. They don't have that edge that I like in a pop punk band. Blink always had a bit more edge than these shitty modern pop punk bands. Hell, even some AVA songs have more edge.

Alkaline Trio & the Sekrets are far better bands. Skiba is a far better songwriter. The dude from ATL being in blink would be awful. Yeah, it'd be interesting but it'd be so fucking bad at the same time. That shit show Drug song was awful as hell. Makes Sober look like some legendary song written by Bono or Freddie Mercury, and I thought Sober was bad. Nicki Minaj being in blink would be interesting but it'd be so bad. Seriously, I'd rather have Nicki Minaj in bloody blink than the guy from All Time Low. Skiba fits in blink IMO but blink have not been using him right. He's playing a yes man role. He's playing the role of what David Kennedy and Matt do for AVA. He should be taking charge the way he does with Trio and until that happens, no one can judge him being a fit for blink or not IMO.

If Mark and Travis wanted to make an album like California then surely getting Alex Gaskarth would of been better than Skiba?

All Time Low earlier music is a similar style to California (except it's better, with more interesting guitarwork) - he is also a much better live vocalist and guitarist than Skiba, so not sure why that would be any worse than what we have now.

Don't really get why it would be 'so fucking bad'? having someone like Skiba in it and not utilising him at all is much worse.

People would get their knickers in a complete bunch though about him being in the band as it's cool to hate on him, fucking saddos.

25 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

If Mark and Travis wanted to make an album like California then surely getting Alex Gaskarth would of been better than Skiba?

All Time Low earlier music is a similar style to California (except it's better, with more interesting guitarwork) - he is also a much better live vocalist and guitarist than Skiba, so not sure why that would be any worse than what we have now.

Don't really get why it would be 'so fucking bad'? having someone like Skiba in it and not utilising him at all is much worse.

People would get their knickers in a complete bunch though about him being in the band as it's cool to hate on him, fucking saddos.

Dunno, I prefer California to anything ATL have ever done. Don't even like the guys voice from ATL. Prefer hearing an under utilised Skiba than anything All Time Low have ever done. That's how terrible I think All Time Low are. If that guy was there instead of Skiba, it'd just mean less good songs IMO. California still has at least 5 great songs and 5 decent ones. Those great and decent tracks would just be replaced by more cheesy ATL styled tracks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ghent said:

The more I hear this song, the more I like it. I think the project has major potential and could be good for blink in the long run.

It’s good. I even find myself signing the nanana part around the house 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NJansaid said:

I have no doubt in my mind Tom could be a heavy metal guitarist who shreds it up if he wanted to

No chance IMO. Tom is great at making unique catchy riffs/songs and clearly has his own style that is immediately recognizable, but he is definitely not an expert on guitar by any means, or even competent enough to bust out into a halfway decent solo. Most of his live "solos" are just letting a few notes ring and pick slides, and he couldn't even come up with anything halfway decent for solos/bridges on NH/DED.

Tom's a brilliant songwriter, and certainly has his stamp on everything he does, but he is nowhere near a master at his instrument IMHO. And that's fine, thousands and thousands of guitarists can play anything, anywhere, and know the scales like a science, but only Tom was writing Wasting Time/ATST/First Date/etc. It's part of why I always felt Tom/Blink were so cool, you don't have to be a master at your instrument, they even said it was crappy punk rock, but write a catchy riff and have fun.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

No chance IMO. Tom is great at making unique catchy riffs/songs and clearly has his own style that is immediately recognizable, but he is definitely not an expert on guitar by any means, or even competent enough to bust out into a halfway decent solo. Most of his live "solos" are just letting a few notes ring and pick slides, and he couldn't even come up with anything halfway decent for solos/bridges on NH/DED.

Tom's a brilliant songwriter, and certainly has his stamp on everything he does, but he is nowhere near a master at his instrument IMHO. And that's fine, thousands and thousands of guitarists can play anything, anywhere, and know the scales like a science, but only Tom was writing Wasting Time/ATST/First Date/etc. It's part of why I always felt Tom/Blink were so cool, you don't have to be a master at your instrument, they even said it was crappy punk rock, but write a catchy riff and have fun.

Yeah I wasn't even going to dignify that post with a response, thanks for doing that for me.

I think we're all too biased in Toms favour to really critically discuss him as a musician at all. He is a good songwriter for sure, but his guitar work has never been anything special. 

55 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Lol heavy metal is easy. We're not talking John Mayer. Solos are dead, it's all downstrokes and riffs much like Wasting Time if you amped it up and lowered the pitch.  I don't think Tom could solo currently, but if he wanted to learn that skill he most likely could have. 

Exactly. Good songwriting is the hardest part of a mucisian, and a skill/talent.