Simple Creatures New Song!

Ghent

5 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

He said this was after 18 months of Blink/California tour, and he was just sitting at home depressed... I assume this is when Matt was making the new Alk3 album, and Trav was doing other stuff. So it was probably just scheduled downtime for Blink and he didn't know what to do. Not sure if this is midlife crisis or what, but sad to hear, especially coming off a very successful Blink comeback.

true. Maybe, your band blossoming because of Songs you didn't come up with yourself isn't as fullfilling after all?

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

So he fell in to depression because he couldn't write his own songs, almost died, created new band that saved his life by.....not writing his own songs?

Nobody argued that. I just think his depression could have to do with the fact that he has to rely on outside writers...

They started out alone. The only thing that your post confirms is that he still cant manage to write on his own, not even on a side project.

Just now, Neal said:

Nobody argued that. I just think his depression could have to do with the fact that he has to rely on outside writers...

They started out alone. The only thing that your post confirms is that he still cant manage to write on his own, not even on a side project.

So why would writing with songwriters cure his depression he got from not being able to write without songwriters?

5 minutes ago, Bucko said:

Can this be moved to side projects? It’s irritating me and messing with my ocd being in the Blink section.

Eventually yeah. Seeing as it's a new thing I think it's ok to float around in here for awhile though.

7 minutes ago, Ghent said:

So why would writing with songwriters cure his depression he got from not being able to write without songwriters?

I never said it was a smart move. As someone who suffers from depression himself i can confirm that you tend to try to do the wrong thing more instead of changing your approach...

Its the easy way out, really. Releasing new music and getting press hype must be exciting. Its the downtime when you can reflect your actions and what you actually brought to the table besides having a name in the Industry. it's just how it looks to me. nobody knows what's really going on so please spare me the fanfic crap.

I dont want to argue on this though. I'm sorry i criticized the making of california. I know how that hurts you. Sorry

4 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I think I missed something - is the Kerrang article out somewhere? Is all the depression/"almost died"/Simple Creatures saved his life stuff coming from that quote on the cover?

mark said in a interview he was really depressed after the blink tours and the kerrang cover quotes him saying "simple creatures" saved his life… no idea where ghent got the "almost died" story from.

That's about as complex as it gets, and it should be, for pop punk songs.  You could convert all these to sound like a Metallica/metal song, who many would consider 'technically great' at their instruments sans the drummer.  I'm tempted to prove it, I've been snowed in today and might just do so, but not if it's going to be met with a Jan gif.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neal said:

mark said in a interview he was really depressed after the blink tours and was depressed… no idea where ghent got the "almost died" story from.

The quote was "saved my life," not "almost died," my bad

1 minute ago, NJansaid said:

That's about as complex as it gets, and it should be, for pop punk songs.  You could convert all these to sound like a Metallica/metal song, who many would consider 'technically great' at their instruments sans the drummer.  I'm tempted to prove it, I've been snowed in today and might just do so, but not if it's going to be met with a Jan gif.

why is metallica all of a sudden the benchmark of good guitarwork?

I totally agree with your initial argument but i really dont get what you're trying to pull of here? give it a rest

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Neal said:

why is metallica all of a sudden the benchmark of good guitarwork?

I totally agree with your initial argument but i really dont get what you're trying to pull of here? give it a rest

Never!

It was originally brought up because of mentions of Tom not being 'technically' good and then another comment regarding his inability to shred or whatever.  Two things that Metal genre is typically known for.  I'm not claiming it's a benchmark, but James Hetfield is definitely considered a great guitarist, when he's very similar to Tom in a way, who's being called not a great guitarist, is all I was getting at.

When I used it as only a smaller part of the argument, it was laugehd at the notion that Tom could play any of that if he wanted to.  Which I'm 100% certain he could if he wanted to, but it doesn't serve him any good for the genre he's writing for..

This literally all started with Kay not liking that Tom was called an outstanding guitarist, the whole metal thing just branched off that but she never proved otherwise so.

6 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

Never!

It was originally brought up because of mentions of Tom not being 'technically' good and then another comment regarding his inability to shred or whatever.  Two things that Metal genre is typically known for.  I'm not claiming it's a benchmark, but James Hetfield is definitely considered a great guitarist, when he's very similar to Tom in a way, who's being called not a great guitarist, is all I was getting at.

When I used it as only a smaller part of the argument, it was laugehd at the notion that Tom could play any of that if he wanted to.  Which I'm 100% certain he could if he wanted to, but it doesn't serve him any good for the genre he's writing for..

This literally all started with Kay not liking that Tom was called an outstanding guitarist, the whole metal thing just branched off that but she never proved otherwise so.

I don't need to prove anything, all I said was he wasn't outstanding. I really don't care about the ridiculous prattling argument you've been having with yourself about metal and Tom being able to play anything.

Everyone could be a great guitarist if they sat down and dedicated their life to doing so. It's a skill, not magic. Tom is a good songwriter and he was influencial for the last fucking time I just don't think he's outstanding, why does this fucking matter?