The Ultimate Recommend Thread

Kay

Okay so we have recommendation threads, and we have the music club, but I want this to be kind of different.

In this thread, you are only allowed to recommend ONE ARTIST/BAND. You can post to discuss but you cannot post another recommendation. so choose wisely. 

- They are one of your favourite artists that you rate highly for one reason or another. Give us those reasons. 

- Suggest style / feel of the music, maybe give other artists as similar examples. really think about what you like about that artist, and explain that in your recommendation. 

- it doesn't matter if it's some tiny unheard of band from Tuscany or fuckin' Katie Perry, or if someone else has already recommended them. It's whoever you want! the only one I'd suggest (but not outlaw) putting down is blink. 

- You list (and link if you can) a maximum of 5 songs by said artist (helpfully in a spoiler if you're adding videos) in an order that you see fit as your ultimate "This is what you should try first" listens for others. 

-  Put thought into it! 

- Be respectful to other peoples recommendations. Don't like it? don't comment on it - it's clearly just not to your taste, but could be to someone elses. Let's keep it as positive vibes. 

I'll post mine as an example of what I mean in case I've lost anyone. Let's discover new music or re-try stuff we've previously pissed on! w00t. 

• Like 1

My recommendation is Kevin Devine.

Kevin Devine, is an almost 40 year old ginger Brooklyn born singer songwriter. Those who do know him around here probably do so due to his musical linkings with Jesse Lacey of Brand New as well as his side project “Bad Books” with the dudes from Manchester Orchestra.

When I got into Brand New at around the age of 15, I heard Jesse had done a guest spot on a song called “Cotton Crush” which is one of Kevin's.

That song changed my fucking life. It is a raw mess of a song that frankly makes little to no sense and I fell in love with it hard. I had no idea who this dude was but as soon as I heard Cotton Crush I wanted to hear more, so I quickly started devouring his records. Behind Cotton Crush was a slew of acoustic led music that was either mild and melancholic, or aggressive and raw. A weird mixture that I still to this day cannot say I’ve found in another artist.

I have tried pawning Kevin off to many friends over the years and most don’t seem to hear what I hear. Kevin is a very slow burn dude… He’s had songs that I have just never gotten into. Heard them for years and just left me cold and then one day it’ll be on in the background and something will ‘click’ in my head and suddenly it’s all I can listen to for a full week. I really don't expect many people to be like "fuck yeah" but he is one of my biggest influences and greatest musical comforts. 

If you like acoustic led music but also love hearing raw passion and aggressive moments in music, as well as have a particular interest in individual lyrics (and you aren’t against political leanings in music) than I’d say give Kevin a whirl.

His influences (according to wikipedia) are Neutral Milk Hotel, Nirvana, Bob Dylan, Pavement and Elliot Smith - but I’m not particularly a fan of any of those so take those as you will. 

My song suggestions, in this exact order, are in the spoiler. These aren't his best songs, or my favourites, but I think they represent his songwriting range quite well.  

Spoiler

Noose Dressed Like A Necklace

Cotton Crush

Brothers Blood

It’s Only Your Life

• Like 1

But really, I always push people to rediscover Taking Back Sunday's catalegue, especially their more recent stuff, it's insanely underrated imo..considering most have heard them already I'm going with

TV On The Radio

Starter song: 'Happy Idiot'

I don't really know how to describe this band other than, it's exactly what you'd want Alternative music to sound like and what music should be in general.  Their videos are all very captivating, but don't fuck my brain up too much like let's say, Tame Impala.  I love the guys voice and the rythym of the songs.. considering there's not much Pop Punk music anymore, and definitely nothing relevant, I'd give this band a try.  I wish they had a little bit bigger of a catalogue, but they really hit the mark in some songs and can listen to on repeat.

City and Colour (Dallas Green)  - Bring me your love

For me, this was exactly the right album at exactly the right time for me. I was heavily into my guitar at this point and suffering badly with my mental health.

I was only 16 had pressure on knowing what I wanted to do but had no drive or direction, I used to go walking on the nights with this album in my ears. 

Its an absolute masterpiece. Makes me sad listening to it now, and then listening to the crap they are putting out now.

For me this is the best album I own lyrically.

• 2 weeks later...

The Menzingers. 

Currently the best punk/pop-punk band IMO. The band is incredibly genuine and honest, and you quickly get the impression that the majority of their songs and lyrics are coming from real experiences that the band has had. Their lyrics are the strongest part of their songs, but they also have great melodies. 

Hard to recommend just one song, so I'll just say that you should start with the album On the Impossible Past. If you prefer something more pop-punk or produced, go with After the Party

• Love 1

I came home a broken mess of a failure from a Mormon Mission. I didn't know who I was or what I was going to do with my life. 

I discovered Say Anything 

I couldn't get enough of his music. I think their self titled record was the first thing I heard. I'd listen to it on repeat. Then I'd find an older album and do the same. Then I'd find old unreleased shit and obsess over that too. 

I blew half my two week paycheck on a song shop. 

Anything beyond self titled is garbage. Anything prior will change your life.

I cringe at myself for how ethan I was. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Alan Rickman said:

I came home a broken mess of a failure from a Mormon Mission. I didn't know who I was or what I was going to do with my life. 

I discovered Say Anything 

I couldn't get enough of his music. I think their self titled record was the first thing I heard. I'd listen to it on repeat. Then I'd find an older album and do the same. Then I'd find old unreleased shit and obsess over that too. 

I blew half my two week paycheck on a song shop. 

Anything beyond self titled is garbage. Anything prior will change your life.

I cringe at myself for how ethan I was. 

Can't help but agree with you on the SA front (although I actually like a handful of songs from Anarchy My Dear, but the album itself isn't good) their first few records are outstanding and Max had such a grasp of self hatred, anger, and mental health problems. I got into them around the time of In Defense, I was probably 19? fell in love with songs like "About Falling" and "Shiksa" and became quite obsessive. Max's fall is weirdly similar to Toms to me - both huge influences that I highly admired who turned into fruit bats. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kay said:

Can't help but agree with you on the SA front (although I actually like a handful of songs from Anarchy My Dear, but the album itself isn't good) their first few records are outstanding and Max had such a grasp of self hatred, anger, and mental health problems. I got into them around the time of In Defense, I was probably 19? fell in love with songs like "About Falling" and "Shiksa" and became quite obsessive. Max's fall is weirdly similar to Toms to me - both huge influences that I highly admired who turned into fruit bats. 

Maybe garbage is harsh. There's usually 2 or 3 solid songs on each album. Except "I Dont Think it Is". There is no hope there. 

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 3:01 PM, Clar-ke has herpes said:

The Menzingers. 

Currently the best punk/pop-punk band IMO. The band is incredibly genuine and honest, and you quickly get the impression that the majority of their songs and lyrics are coming from real experiences that the band has had. Their lyrics are the strongest part of their songs, but they also have great melodies. 

Hard to recommend just one song, so I'll just say that you should start with the album On the Impossible Past. If you prefer something more pop-punk or produced, go with After the Party

Wich Mezingers record do you (or anyone recommend) if i want some punk side of em, like their Dude Ranch

2 minutes ago, raw_sounds said:

Wich Mezingers record do you (or anyone recommend) if i want some punk side of em, like their Dude Ranch

On the Impossible Past is a good middle ground album for them.

For something more raw, Chamberlain Waits is good but that might be closer to their Cheshire Cat/Buddha era. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

On the Impossible Past is a good middle ground album for them.

For something more raw, Chamberlain Waits is good but that might be closer to their Cheshire Cat/Buddha era. 

Thanks! Ive oly heard Lookers by them and i like it a lot

Edit: I listened to On the Impossible Past and its amazing! the best record ive heard in a while, and loved On the possible Past its exactly what i am looking for right now, acoustic pop-punk or punk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Domestica by Cursive 

Spoiler

I'm bored today so I'll do this. Cursive's Domestica isn’t my favourite album by any means but there’s an important story behind it (to me).
The only real models I’ve had of a relationship have always been my parents. My mom’s parents were divorced and always awkward with each other but somehow friendly as well. My dad’s parents used to live with us but all their life they would just banter, yell and get at each other for what I hope was fun when I was young (to then realise it wasn’t fun at all - but I still loved them dearly because I basically grew up with them.)
Anyway, tears are not what this album is about, it’s about healthy relationship models. So, growing up, all I had to show me what a relationship was my parents because I’ve seen nothing but shit relationships and obvious divorces and I’ve always felt hopeless towards love. It’s stupid, I know, but I was young! And one method to cope with this bullshit mindset was obviously mental masochism, therefore for so many years, I would often drill the lyrics of Cursive’s Domestica into my ears before sleep.
This album shows a fucked up, typical Stockholm syndrome type relationship of two lovers who get at each other but it would always fill me with the hope that someone out there will love me for the anxious little tall wreck that I am.

And it is not one to shuffle, you have to go from track 1 to track 9 to feel the empathy of both lovers as each song alternates between the struggles of communication and misunderstanding between the two. A midwestern classic, and it's not for everyone, but it’s great, and very underrated. I think I probably heard about it from Dan Andriano in an interview. 

• Like 2

THE NATIONAL

This band has such unique sound and style. The drummer is probably my favorite member because of his drumming - so different from what you usually hear. 

The lyrics are always beautiful and complex and i’ve had many many nights sitting alone listening to this band.

You get mistaken for strangers by your own friends
When you pass them at night
Under the silvery, silvery Citibank lights
Arm in arm in arm and eyes and eyes, glazing under

Oh, you wouldn't want an angel watching over you
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch
Another un-innocent, elegant fall
Into the un-magnificent lives of adults

Recommended songs: Mistaken for Strangers, Sorrow, Bloodbuzz Ohio

Recommended albums: Boxer, High Violet

• Like 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, Reg said:

THE NATIONAL

This band has such unique sound and style. The drummer is probably my favorite member because of his drumming - so different from what you usually hear. 

The lyrics are always beautiful and complex and i’ve had many many nights sitting alone listening to this band.

You get mistaken for strangers by your own friends
When you pass them at night
Under the silvery, silvery Citibank lights
Arm in arm in arm and eyes and eyes, glazing under

Oh, you wouldn't want an angel watching over you
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch
Another un-innocent, elegant fall
Into the un-magnificent lives of adults

Recommended songs: Mistaken for Strangers, Sorrow, Bloodbuzz Ohio

Recommended albums: Boxer, High Violet

I love The National ❤❤❤

Of Monsters and Men

You've probably heard of them, and you may have (unfairly) lumped them in with the likes of Mumford and Sons and The Lumineers due to the fact that they all rose as big musicians at the same time and they had a light indie vibe.  And that's all true, but I'd argue that their indie vibe is not at all the same as what Mumford and the Lumineers ultimately proved to be (for the record, I think Mumford is ok, but I hate the Lumineers).  They are so much more interesting than those kinds of bands.  They're from Iceland where English isn't even their first language, but they can speak it well and write and sing in it.  Though they've released their share of Icelandic songs in their previous bands.  The band has a lead male singer and a lead female singer making for some great and haunting songs.  I find their overall message is that of love, and I find it interesting where they go to explore that concept. 

Their first album, My Head is an Animal is my favorite of their two full lengths so far, but Beneath the Skin is a really good album as well.  Their first album though is so catchy and fun, it feels like an adventure.  It feels like an album that's about going out and exploring the world and experiencing life.  From start to finish I love it and I think it may be my favorite album period, if it isn't blink's untitled album that is.  It's a very close match for me in that regard.  Keep in mind there are 2 versions of this album, the original Iceland version and the international version.  They're all the same songs, all in English, with a different track order and I believe they are different recordings, if not, then they're different mixes.  It's pretty cool to hear both versions, but ultimately I do prefer the International version though the International version lacks two of the songs from the original, Numb Bears and the secret track Sinking Man.  Instead the songs Mountain Sound and Slow and Steady are added.  This is the better trade off, Numb Bears is a fine song, but it is probably among the weakest on the album and Moutnain Sound and Slow and Steady are both really solid songs, Sinking Man was a good secret track, bummer to lose that one.  Still the iTunes version adds Numb Bears as a bonus track anyway, but it's placement at the end kind of ruins the true finale of the song before it, Yellow Light.

I could post nearly any song from this album because I love them all so, but I think I'll post what is probably my ultimate favorite, King and Lionheart, I just love everything about this song, and I feel like the video really kinda exemplifies what this band is like in terms of their tone and creativity:

I wasn't initially a big fan of the band, I heard their single on the radio, Little Talks, and liked it but didn't think much of it.  I later got the album on a whim, and while I enjoyed it, I just didn't get super into it.  But then a few friends invited me to go to Bonnaroo with them in I dunno 2012 or 2013, something like that, and the lineup was awesome, just filled with bands and acts I was really into at the time.  So we go and it's a great festival, and on the day that I see Of Monsters and Men, lets just say that for the first time I was not myself in the best kind of way, and this band started, and it was truly amazing, everything just clicked, undoubtedly the best concert I've ever been to, and Paul McCartney was later that night, and while he was awesome too, these guys just changed my life.

Their next album, Beneath the Skin was a more introspective album.  It seemed to be an album of self discovery, of understanding who you truly are on the inside.  I liked this album a lot, but it lacked a lot of the overall catchiness of the first album, but there were a few really great tracks like the first single Crystals.  But my favorite was probably the darker and powerful,  I of the Storm:

I get goosebumps when I listen to this song.  It's just so good.

Anyway, I'm excited to find this thread right now and talk about this band, because this Friday, they're going to release something for their 3rd album, either a single or the entire album.  I'm guessing just a single, but man would I lose my shit if they released the whole album.  Regardless I'm super excited, I can not wait to hear more new music from them, I really don't feel like there is any other band that has a sound quite like theirs.

3 hours ago, Elisa said:

Domestica by Cursive 

Reveal hidden contents

I'm bored today so I'll do this. Cursive's Domestica isn’t my favourite album by any means but there’s an important story behind it (to me).
The only real models I’ve had of a relationship have always been my parents. My mom’s parents were divorced and always awkward with each other but somehow friendly as well. My dad’s parents used to live with us but all their life they would just banter, yell and get at each other for what I hope was fun when I was young (to then realise it wasn’t fun at all - but I still loved them dearly because I basically grew up with them.)
Anyway, tears are not what this album is about, it’s about healthy relationship models. So, growing up, all I had to show me what a relationship was my parents because I’ve seen nothing but shit relationships and obvious divorces and I’ve always felt hopeless towards love. It’s stupid, I know, but I was young! And one method to cope with this bullshit mindset was obviously mental masochism, therefore for so many years, I would often drill the lyrics of Cursive’s Domestica into my ears before sleep.
This album shows a fucked up, typical Stockholm syndrome type relationship of two lovers who get at each other but it would always fill me with the hope that someone out there will love me for the anxious little tall wreck that I am.

And it is not one to shuffle, you have to go from track 1 to track 9 to feel the empathy of both lovers as each song alternates between the struggles of communication and misunderstanding between the two. A midwestern classic, and it's not for everyone, but it’s great, and very underrated. I think I probably heard about it from Dan Andriano in an interview. 

I got to interview Tim a few years ago. Nice guy

https://rvamag.com/music/rock-indie/cursive-frontman-tim-kasher-comes-to-smatter-this-friday-with-the-good-life-side-project-check-out-our-interview-with-him-here.html#more-13325

I think I prefer The Ugly Organ in the Cursive discography, but Domestica is great as well. I really recommend The Good Life's Album of the Year if you haven't heard it. I think it changed me.

• Love 1