Jump to content
 
NJansaid

Rank the Pop Punk Bands of our time

Recommended Posts

All this Sum 41 love got me thinking.  Let's not include bands pre Green Day to keep it easy and need more than 1 album (sorry +44).  Putting bands on the fence of "pop punk" in italics.  I found doing 1-10 to be tough, so doing tiers.

 

Tier 1:

Blink, Green Day

Tier 2:

Taking Back Sunday, Brand New

Tier 3:

Offspring, Paramore, The UsedAngels & Airwaves

Tier 4:

Goldfinger, Sum 41, Fall Out Boy, Motion City Soundtrack, Alkaline Trio

Tier 5:

Good Charlotte, Sugarcult, Hoobastank, Panic at the DIsco, Simple Plan, All American Rejects, New Found Glory, Yellowcard

Tier nobody cares:

All Time Low, 5SOS,  Neck Deep, The Hoes

 

  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NJansaid said:

All this Sum 41 love got me thinking.  Let's not include bands pre Green Day to keep it easy and need more than 1 album (sorry +44).  Putting bands on the fence of "pop punk" in italics.  I found doing 1-10 to be tough, so doing tiers.

 

Tier 1:

Blink, Green Day

Tier 2:

Taking Back Sunday, Brand New

Tier 3:

Offspring, Paramore, The UsedAngels & Airwaves

Tier 4:

Goldfinger, Sum 41, Fall Out Boy, Motion City Soundtrack, Alkaline Trio

Tier 5:

Good Charlotte, Sugarcult, Hoobastank, Panic at the DIsco, Simple Plan, All American Rejects, New Found Glory, Yellowcard

Tier nobody cares:

All Time Low, 5SOS,  Neck Deep, The Hoes

 

TBS, Brand New, The Used, AVA, MCS, Hoobstank, Panic! are not pop punk. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the ones I've seriously listened to:

Green Day

blink-182

Sum 41

New Found Glory

Goldfinger (barely though hah)

Taking Back Sunday

Paramore

Yellowcard

Fall Out Boy (only the first two albums though)

Panic! at the Disco

Offspring

Good Charlotte

All American Rejects

All Time Low

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would consider early P!ATD pop punk because of their influences (Weezer, Green Day, My Chemical Romance), but then they changed things up to the point where they didn't really embody the spirit of the genre anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read the description yikes lazy cunts.

I did need to log off though one too many during the snooze bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nasa said:

I would consider early P!ATD pop punk because of their influences (Weezer, Green Day, My Chemical Romance), but then they changed things up to the point where they didn't really embody the spirit of the genre anymore.

They were originally a Blink182 cover band, if I remember correctly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

They were originally a Blink182 cover band, if I remember correctly. 

Yes! And the guitarist once said all he wanted to do was learn how to play like Tom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

@Patient #48273 I know you'll be tempted to team up with them, but can you please give the class a lesson on how to read?

Not sure what your issue is. A number of the bands they're saying aren't pop punk weren't even in italics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Not sure what your issue is. A number of the bands they're saying aren't pop punk weren't even in italics.

I thought I was missing something but didn't want to shit on the thread. Thanks for clearing this up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NJansaid said:

So let's linger on Hoobastank..

Strictly Pop Punk would be too short and easy.

There are a ton of pop punk bands and different sub genres of pop punk that would fit nicely on that list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

So let's linger on Hoobastank..

Strictly Pop Punk would be too short and easy.

I guess the main issue is that if you don't even understand what pop punk is, you probably shouldn't be ranking bands in the genre.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

I guess the main issue is that if you don't even understand what pop punk is, you probably shouldn't be ranking bands in the genre.

yeah, there are hundreds of very popular pop punk bands he's completely skipped in favour of fringe and not really ones, seems super odd to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kay said:

yeah, there are hundreds of very popular pop punk bands he's completely skipped in favour of fringe and not really ones, seems super odd to me. 

I like to think @thongrider and I are the resident pop punk scholars on this board.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are free to make your list as you like, as you have noticed it is not a poll with restricted options friends.

@Kay I included bands in the emo pop punk realm that were impactful/relevant enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×