Rank the Pop Punk Bands of our time

Jan Backing Track

6 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

This should be used when you're leaving on a high note. Nothing in this thread could be considered a high note for you.

I would appreciate it if you just corrected my grammar not my gifs too.  But I changed it just for you.

Can we include Rancid, NOFX and AFI on this? Some of their tracks are full on pop punk even if most of their stuff is more "punk" than blink, Green Day etc

edit: fuck it i'll include them anyway

Tier 1 (Bands that have an entire catalogue of abums or 2-3 albums I love)
blink-182 (best of the best!)
Green Day

Tier 2 (Bands that have an entire album or 2 that I love but not on the same level as Tier 1)
AFI
Sum 41
Rancid
Alkaline Trio
Brand New (not really pop punk but yeah)
The Wonder Years
Jimmy Eat World (not really punk or pop punk but including them anyway)

Tier 3 (An entire album or at least 10 songs I love)
My Chemical Romance (like Brand New & Jimmy, not pop punk or punk rock IMO)
Hot Water Music
Bad Astronaut
The Offspring

Tier 4 (Bands that have a few songs I like)
Yellowcard
New Found Glory
Pennywise
Rise Against
NOFX
Gaslight Anthem

Tier 5 (Bands that have a couple of songs I like)
Fenix TX
Unwritten Law
Good Charlotte
Ramones
Less Than Jake
Bowling For Soup
Simple Plan
Weezer
Fall Out Boy
Paramore

Tier 6 (Bands that have no songs whatsoever that I like)
The Used (no hate towards them, don't dislike or like their shit)
MxPx (no hate towards them, just never really checked them out)
Taking Back Sunday (never really listened to them)
Lagwagon (never really listened but I do love one of their side projects aka Bad Astronaut)
You Me At Six
All Time Low
Panic At The Disco
Goldfinger (always found them shit too)
Neck Deep
Five Seconds of Summer
All American Rejects
Busted
McFly

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Can we include Rancid, NOFX and AFI on this? Some of their tracks are full on pop punk even if most of their stuff is more "punk" than blink, Green Day etc

You can make your list how you want I just said I'm doing mine Green Day earliest since that was the start of this whole new wave

Rancid NoFx are way more punk but NoFx had some poppier melodies at times.

Just now, NJansaid said:

You can make your list how you want I just said I'm doing mine post Green Day earliest since that was the start of this whole new wave

Rancid NoFx are pretty damn punk but NoFx had some poppier melodies at times.

NoFX has been a pop punk band since White Trash in 1992. I wouldn't include Rancid or AFI as they aren't pop punk at all.

Why no pre Green Day bands? Why make a list if you exclude basically all the good bands? I'm simple gonna ignore that ridiculous criterion. I'm also dividing Green day into two bands. Trying to include all types. 

Tier 1: Screeching Weasel (and related) , The Mr T Experience, The ethans, The Muffs, Blink, Pre AI Green Day, The Undertones, Buzzcocks, Shelley's Children, The RamonesNOFX, Rancid, The Barracudas

Tier 2: The Dickies, Descendents, The Ergs!, Chixdiggit, Teen Idols, Alkaline Trio, Pansy Division, The Rezillos, The Lillingtons, New Found Glory, Sum 41, Cock Sparrer, My Chemical Romance, The Yum Yums, Taking Back Sunday, the Beths, Cute Lepers, Exploding Hearts, Dead Milkmen, Less Than Jake. 

Tier 3: The Steinways (and related) , Masked intruder, No Use for a Name, Groovie Ghoulies, post AI Green day, Shy Guys, Fastbacks, Bad cop/Bad cop, Parasite Diet, Parasites, Yellowcard, All American Rejects, The Catalogs, After School Special, Lit, Lagwagon, Osker, Brand New, AFI, The Used, Dear Landlord, Goldfinger, Tacocat. 

Tier 4: Squirtgun, The Apers, The Manges, The Copyrights, Teenage Bottlerocket, Connie Dungs, The Automatics (both), most Mutant Pop   bands, Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, Paramore, The Huntingtons, McRackins (in on the yolk is perfect however), Simple Plan,  the Offspring, mediocre generic garage and power pop bands, 

Tier 5: whatever is left. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thongrider said:

Why no pre Green Day bands? Why make a list if you exclude basically all the good bands? I'm simple gonna ignore that ridiculous criterion. I'm also dividing Green day into two bands. Trying to include all types. 

Tier 1: Screeching Weasel (and related) , The Mr T Experience, The ethans, The Muffs, Blink, Pre AI Green Day, The Undertones, Buzzcocks, Shelley's Children, The RamonesNOFX, Rancid, The Barracudas

Tier 2: The Dickies, Descendents, The Ergs!, Chixdiggit, Teen Idols, Alkaline Trio, Pansy Division, The Rezillos, The Lillingtons, New Found Glory, Sum 41, Cock Sparrer, My Chemical Romance, The Yum Yums, Taking Back Sunday, the Beths, Cute Lepers, Exploding Hearts, Dead Milkmen, Less Than Jake. 

Tier 3: The Steinways (and related) , Masked intruder, No Use for a Name, Groovie Ghoulies, post AI Green day, Shy Guys, Fastbacks, Bad cop/Bad cop, Parasite Diet, Parasites, Yellowcard, All American Rejects, The Catalogs, After School Special, Lit, Lagwagon, Osker, Brand New, AFI, The Used, Dear Landlord, Goldfinger, Tacocat. 

Tier 4: Squirtgun, The Apers, The Manges, The Copyrights, Teenage Bottlerocket, Connie Dungs, The Automatics (both), most Mutant Pop   bands, Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, Paramore, The Huntingtons, McRackins (in on the yolk is perfect however), Simple Plan,  the Offspring, mediocre generic garage and power pop bands, 

This is pretty close to what I'd say as well, give or take a few ... you left out Sloppy Seconds, Dopamines, Mugwumps, Vapid's bands, Sheckies, Hextalls, The Scutches ...

7 minutes ago, thongrider said:

Jesus Christ can everyone hop off my case for 5 seconds.  Those bands are before 'Our time' to many of us. Descendents, Screeching Weasel I'm not familiar enough with so I stated I'm starting with Green Day.

It was only a criteria for my list not anyone else's.

Great list though.

4 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

Jesus Christ can everyone hop off my case for 5 seconds.  Those bands are before 'Our time' to many of us. Descendents, Screeching Weasel I'm not familiar enough with so I stated I'm starting with Green Day.

Great list though.

Most of those bands are after Green Day.

5 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

Great list though.

Thanks.

That's fair, but I did assume the 's in "let' s" wasn't majestic plural. 

Also, I recommend listening to Screeching Weasel now though. Lifes's too short to not experience the weaz. Maybe start with Ben Weasel's The Brain That Wouldn't Die

• Like 1

Just now, NJansaid said:

I stand corrected, I always thought Rancid, NoFx were a bit earlier.  I guess I was picturing who was representing the millennial era most at their heights.  

Keep in mind that Green Day started in 1986 ... if you want bands that got popular after Dookie came out in 1994 then that'll knock off bands like Ramones, Buzzcocks but even bands like Screeching Weasel hit their stride when Green Day did in the early 1990's so it's a hard line to stick to as a lot of bands started in mid to late 80s but took a while to build up a following.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, thongrider said:

Tier 1: Screeching Weasel (and related) , The Mr T Experience, The queeeers, The Muffs, Blink, Pre AI Green Day, The Undertones, Buzzcocks, Shelley's Children, The RamonesNOFX, Rancid, The Barracudas

Tier 2: The Dickies, Descendents, The Ergs!, Chixdiggit, Teen Idols, Alkaline Trio, Pansy Division, The Rezillos, The Lillingtons, Sloppy Seconds, New Found Glory, Sum 41, Cock Sparrer, My Chemical Romance, The Yum Yums, Taking Back Sunday, the Beths, Cute Lepers, Exploding Hearts, Dead Milkmen, Less Than Jake. 

Tier 3: The Steinways (and related) , Masked intruder, No Use for a Name, Groovie Ghoulies, post AI Green day, Shy Guys, Fastbacks, Bad cop/Bad cop, Parasite Diet, Hextalls, Parasites, Sweey Baby, Yellowcard, All American Rejects, The Catalogs, After School Special, Lit, Lagwagon, Osker, Brand New, AFI, The Used, Dear Landlord, Goldfinger, Tacocat. 

Tier 4: Squirtgun, The Apers, The Manges, The Copyrights, Teenage Bottlerocket, Connie Dungs, The Automatics (both), most Mutant Pop   bands, Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, Paramore, Sheckies, The Huntingtons, McRackins (in on the yolk is perfect however), Simple Planthe Offspring, Dopamines mediocre generic garage and power pop bands, 

Bolded all pre GD/SC bands.