Rank the Pop Punk Bands of our time

Jan Backing Track

7 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

i just noticed i left out bcr and +44 from my list. :D but those two albums should be included in blink's discography - in retrospect we can see them as they were still blink-182 but with a bit different lineups.

Yeah most people who think of +44 and BCR think of it as "That Tom/Mark side project" I'd imagine.  If they try to defend it as its own separate art with no relation to blink they're just being edgy.

AvA on the other hand...is different 

I’m keeping this to bands I loved in middle school/high school who would easily be defined as “pop punk” and trying to be true to what I felt AT THE TIME haha so I’m not sure if I would stand by all of this today but here we go:

Tier One
Blink 182
Green Day

Tier Two
Rancid
Sum 41
New Found Glory
Mxpx

Tier Three
Yellowcard
Goldfinger
NOFX

Bands I liked more than most of this list but not sure if they count as pop punk
Saves The Day
Motion City Soundtrack
Jimmy Eat World

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

i still listen to their complete catalogue in every 1-2 months.

They have some great albums man. Houston is the one I'd take with me to my grave. Top 10 album for me, not just in punk rock but in general. But I always tend to lean towards punk rock bands. As much as I like the Who, Queen and all that lot, I'll never put their albums as a top 10 album.

Don't know if they all count as pop-punk, and my preferences have certainly changed over time, but right now it looks something like:

Tier 1 (listen to them pretty much every month):

Blink, the Lawrence Arms, the Menzingers 

Tier 2 (listen to them every few months): 

Hot Water Music, Green Day, Banner Pilot, the Loved Ones/Dave Haus, Gaslight Anthem/Brian Fallon, the Offspring, Alkaline Trio, Bouncing Souls, Jawbreaker, the Flatliners, The Bronx, The Draft, Iron Chic, Titus Andronicus, Japandroids, +44, Less Than Jake, Say Anything, 

Tier 3 (listen to them a few times a year): 

Jimmy Eat World, Motion City Soundtrack, Sum 41, Off With Their Heads, Yellowcard, Sugarcult, Taking Back Sunday, Rise Against, AFI, MCR, Strike Anywhere, Lagwagon, NoFX, Pennywise, Millencolin, Zebrahead, Rancid, Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Fucked Up, Coheed and Cambria, Bad Religion.

Probably forgetting a bunch 

10 minutes ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Just discovered the band RVIVR, pretty interesting punk band. Only heard a couple songs but they're pretty solid so far. 

Check out Two Tongues. They have a couple of the band members from your tier 2 but I find them way better.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

Check out Two Tongues. They have a couple of the band members from your tier 2 but I find them way better.

The first two tongues was pretty good, but that second album dropped from the worst era of Max Bemis and his taint is a stank that will not wash off.

58 minutes ago, Alan Rickman said:

The first two tongues was pretty good, but that second album dropped from the worst era of Max Bemis and his taint is a stank that will not wash off.

The second album is a lot different.  I don't get it.  The first one is legit.

6 hours ago, Scott. said:

People slag off neck deep because it’s the cool thing to do but have you actually bothered to listen? Legit pop punk bangers ffs. Absolute gold. Blast that shit

Fucking intro ?fucking love it

Off yourself. 

Those vocals..

Fuck you.

On 2/14/2019 at 8:04 PM, Alan Rickman said:

I couldn't get into either. can't get into Perma as well. I like some tracks off the painful splits but not all of it. I think after like 2010 Max just fell off the creative ledge a little bit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kay said:

I couldn't get into either. can't get into Perma as well. I like some tracks off the painful splits but not all of it. I think after like 2010 Max just fell off the creative ledge a little bit. 

Yeah it's too bad. I'm glad to have just now been discovering this guys stuff, but noticing I'm going to run out of tracks quickly.  Major drop off in quality.

He also can start to get slightly emo which I don't like, but when he sticks to the poppier stuff he's mint.

2 hours ago, NJansaid said:

Yeah it's too bad. I'm glad to have just now been discovering this guys stuff, but noticing I'm going to run out of tracks quickly.  Major drop off in quality.

He also can start to get slightly emo which I don't like, but when he sticks to the poppier stuff he's mint.

Basically all of Say Anything except Hebrews, Yes It Is and the new one are worth a spin. Anarchy My Dear is clunky but has it's moments, everything before that is pretty much gold. 

• Like 1