Thoughts on Dave Grohl?

Jan Backing Track

Thoughts on Dave Grohl?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Dave Grohl

• Yay
    • Nay
    • Meh

i met grohl when he played SOMA supporting his self-titled release (95). he was nice enough. i haven't listened to the band since the colour and the shape. i love that first album (for all the cows!) and colour has some great tracks, but "everlong" was overplayed to death and kind of took the luster off the record.

any top tracks to recommend, post-colour?

On 2/21/2019 at 4:21 PM, Kay said:

Not necessarily a huge foos person but I've read a few interviews, he seems pretty damn cool.

See that's when I started suspecting he might be just a bit fake. Whenever I watch his interviews with Krist and Butch Vig it seems like he doesn't really like talking about Nirvana and wants the subject to be on Foo and not him as the drummer in the background.  Kind of like that Tom 'I've surpassed this mindset'. 

Granted it could be Cobain suicide PTSD.

Idk I just can't tell.  I'll take Foo Fighters over no Foo Fighters though

14 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i met grohl when he played SOMA supporting his self-titled release (95). he was nice enough. i haven't listened to the band since the colour and the shape. i love that first album (for all the cows!) and colour has some great tracks, but "everlong" was overplayed to death and kind of took the luster off the record.

any top tracks to recommend, post-colour?

'Run' came out not too long ago and was one of my favorite Food tracks and modern rock tracks in general. The verses are a bit cheese, but the chorus is really moving.

41 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

See that's when I started suspecting he might be just a bit fake. Whenever I watch his interviews with Krist and Butch Vig it seems like he doesn't really like talking about Nirvana and wants the subject to be on Foo and not him as the drummer in the background.  Kind of like that Tom 'I've surpassed this mindset'. 

Granted it could be Cobain suicide PTSD.

Idk I just can't tell.  I'll take Foo Fighters over no Foo Fighters though

I always saw that as a 'it's too difficult, focus on the now' kind of thing, not like Toms embarrassed of his past deal.

Or, you know he was in Nirvana for 4 years and that band stopped being a band 25 years ago. Foo Fighters, the band he created, writes for and helms has been around more than 6 times as long and has arguably brought him more success. Nirvana wrote some decent tunes, I'm not saying they sucked but Dave's legacy is Foo Fighters, not Nirvana and I can understand why he'd want to speak more on that than Kurt's legacy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

Or, you know he was in Nirvana for 4 years and that band stopped being a band 25 years ago. Foo Fighters, the band he created, writes for and helms has been around more than 6 times as long and has arguably brought him more success. Nirvana wrote some decent tunes, I'm not saying they sucked but Dave's legacy is Foo Fighters, not Nirvana and I can understand why he'd want to speak more on that than Kurt's legacy.

Foo Fighters might garner more success, Nirvana will always have a bigger impact on music & society though.  Dave Grohl's legacy is  Dave Grohl then Foo then Nirvana's drummer 

Travis on the other hand's legacy is blink then Travis then XXXtentacion

Xxxtentacion is fucking excellent. Get your head out of your arse. 

Foo’s are meh on the whole but do have some absolute classic’s tbf. I probably have 4/5 songs on my playlist and that’s it. Nirvana on the other hand were the absolute bollocks ?

On 2/23/2019 at 11:03 PM, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Anyone here watch Sonic Highways? I watched the first few episodes and thought it was pretty solid. 

It's good, although I was a little disappointed on how they did the New Orleans episode. I was expecting much more, in general, but is a good watch.

Also, the Sound City documentary is amazing. If you haven't seen it yet, just do it.