Jan Backing Track

Thoughts on Dave Grohl?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Dave Grohl

• Yay
    • Nay
    • Meh

On 2/23/2019 at 2:49 AM, daveyjones said:

i met grohl when he played SOMA supporting his self-titled release (95). he was nice enough. i haven't listened to the band since the colour and the shape. i love that first album (for all the cows!) and colour has some great tracks, but "everlong" was overplayed to death and kind of took the luster off the record.

any top tracks to recommend, post-colour?

Walk

White limo

Breakout

Long road to ruin

Learn to fly

All my life

The pretender

Those are probably the most stand out songs since colour

1 hour ago, prankerd14 said:

Walk

White limo

Breakout

Long road to ruin

Learn to fly

All my life

The pretender

k i gave them all a listen. it seems like grohl is still writing decent material, but my gawd the production is awful (to my ear). over compressed, shiny, and polished. the hi-hat sizzles like a steak on a grill. all the vox have been processed dozens of times.

what i loved about the first album and colour is that they're both so punk, so raw, very grunge sounding. the only one that was somewhat tolerable was "breakout" but even that wasn't great imo. "long road to ruin" was a joke! the palm muting was straight off a nickelback cut.

most of these tracks are just too top 40 radio polished for my taste.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

k i gave them all a listen. it seems like grohl is still writing decent material, but my gawd the production is awful (to my ear). over compressed, shiny, and polished. the hi-hat sizzles like a steak on a grill. all the vox have been processed dozens of times.

what i loved about the first album and colour is that they're both so punk, so raw, very grunge sounding. the only one that was somewhat tolerable was "breakout" but even that wasn't great imo. "long road to ruin" was a joke! the palm muting was straight off a nickelback cut.

most of these tracks are just too top 40 radio polished for my taste.

The first two albums they recorded on tape I believe, probably fit better for Grohl. 

1 hour ago, NJansaid said:

The first two albums they recorded on tape I believe, probably fit better for Grohl. 

Wasting light was recorded on tape in his garage. Theres cool footage of it on youtube. Dave Grohls movie Sound City is awesome.